You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Solar panels

Tossed and blown

There are a few variables you'll need to take into account. Ideally you want a roof facing due south and inclined about 50 degrees.

The panels themselves are fairly basic machines and the overall collector system is what you need to look at. It will lose some heat and the more efficient you make it the higher your initial investment.

Ballpark: SW Ireland gets about 1050kW/year/sq m of panel which is equivalent to 105 litres of kerosene if you can harness it all.

i think you are confusing PV panels with solar panels. dont get roped into doing the 'rent a roof' option.

if you have a south facing , 3 bed property you will make about £650-£700 a year cashback on top of your daytime free electricity. You are basically making 53p per kw/h.

It costs approx £7000 to have your own PV system fully fitted.

Guest ShoePiss
i think you are confusing PV panels with solar panels. dont get roped into doing the 'rent a roof' option.

if you have a south facing , 3 bed property you will make about £650-£700 a year cashback on top of your daytime free electricity. You are basically making 53p per kw/h.

It costs approx £7000 to have your own PV system fully fitted.

Pv panels are solar panels.

We have them for hot water they work great in the Aussie summer sun, not so well in the winter. I still have to put on the electric heater for a few hours a day in the winter.

So basically when you really want it hot it's not and when you want a cool shower to cool off it's fucking boiling.

Don't know how good they are for general electricity but if you covered your roof in them it might be alright. Although England is regularly cloudy is it not so who knows.

I've heard you get what you pay for, the cheapo's are cheap for a reason.

• 2 years later...

Bump.

Anyone got any personal experience?

After normally cutting these people off I succumbed the other week to agreeing for someone to call to discuss their products. I have no intention of buying at the moment but just want to have the conversation to get ballpark figures etc. Anything that might help reduce my fuel costs, even if not now, has to be worth looking at. If anyone's gone along this route I'd be interested to hear your experiences, pick your brains, that kind of thing.

The tariff has gone down in the last few years, but the cost of units is also going down. And the pv units themselves are becoming more effecient by the year.

I'm waiting to hear back with the figures. It seems that it would be a serious consideration if you were planning to stay put for a long time but if that's not clear I cant see it would be economic but I am drawn to the idea of generating my own electricity and running the tumble dryer and dishwasher for no extra cost

Guest Kemlynreds

I'd steer clear for now, takes about 8m2 to generate 1kw on the brightest day. Wait a few years the cost will come right down and the efficiency go right up.

What do you think the guys who we're selling mortgages in 2007 are selling now?

I'm waiting to hear back with the figures. It seems that it would be a serious consideration if you were planning to stay put for a long time but if that's not clear I cant see it would be economic but I am drawn to the idea of generating my own electricity and running the tumble dryer and dishwasher for no extra cost

There is that, although it will put value on your property should you sell anyway. Supposedly a full array  of say 16 panels would take around 6-7 years to pay for itself.

Im not a a spark myself, im a roofer but was fitting them with a local eleccy firm now and again  for last 5 years.

There is that, although it will put value on your property should you sell anyway. Supposedly a full array  of say 16 panels would take around 6-7 years to pay for itself.

Im not a a spark myself, im a roofer but was fitting them with a local eleccy firm now and again  for last 5 years.

Now that would be a selling point, fully installed almost free electricity

Didn't think they got the sun in Scotland

Its not about sun, clever dick

Cavity check?

See above