You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Nah. I was happy to see Hodgson come in at the time because I thought he could galvanise the group as he did at Fulham. We looked lost at the time and Rafa was busy playing off the owners against each other. I wanted a stable hand at the wheel who might just put a cup run together (I never expected him to be a great LFC manager, just thought he'd be a fit while the club got itself sorted), I didn't get what I wanted.

Happy to admit I was wrong about him - the absolute cunt that he turned out to be - but anyone who suggests they knew that about him beforehand is lying. They may have thought he would be nothing short of mediocrity (I wanted Pellegrini more btw, but he had the same "what's he ever won" discussion dogging him, which is always pretty reductive and pointless regardless who its about) but a snide, horrible, oblivious loon who would drive us to the point where relegation was a real possibility within six months... not having that.

Not true.

Not going over it again, but that is just wrong plenty called it right over Benitez being fucked off.

• Upvote 6

He's just a cunt.  A grade A, prime-rib, shithouse fucking cunt. I just saw the arse end of his press conference on tv and I wanted to reach into the screen and fucking choke him. Sooner England get past this ridiculous obsession with having to have an English manager and get rid of this useless fucking coward the better.

I literally despise him.

Collymore had a field day with the 'Sterling's tired' subject earlier. Hodgson has singlehandedly ensured that Raheem will be booed and derided by Neanderthal Ingurland fans wherever he plays. The blokes is an absolute grade A prick.

I could mention that the problem wasn't Benitez being sacked but who he was replaced with........but I won't

I quite admire the mental gymnastics in trying to separate the 2 things.

PS I always read the thread title as

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your cunt mouth

• Upvote 1

Not true.

Not going over it again, but that is just wrong plenty called it right over Benitez being fucked off.

Not the same issue, in fact the inability to separate the issues and look at them in isolation caused a large number of the nonsense arguments at the time.

• Upvote 1

Roy's done everything that Brendan has told him to do, and then thrown in a jibe at the end to try and prove that he's not terrified of club managers.

I can live with that so long as he continues to do what he's told. And I have no problem with Raheem learning what a twat he is

This particular quote from droopy face is quite telling

"Don’t forget it was two days after quite a difficult game against San Marino."

Seems like sterling refused to train on what should have been a rest day, sure Rogers said sterling and sturridge were on same routine?

Sterling is already getting abused on Twitter. This fucking cunt needs his arse handing to him. Who the fuck throws a 19yr old kid under the bus like this

I said this last night when I heard what he had said. He is covering his own arse for 2 inept displays against part-timers and never will be's.

Sterling still the best thing about England

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/12/raheem-sterling-tired-england-estonia-roy-hodgson

Raheem Sterling may be ‘tired’ but he still finds time to stretch legs

Sterling’s impact off the bench against Estonia shows how much Roy Hodgson now relies on this rare talent

• Estonia 0-1 England

• England fail to show killer instinct

Barney Ronay at Lillekula Stadium

Everybody likes a little bit of straight-talking from an England manager: some honesty, a little urbane perspective. But you can also have too much perspective and from the moment Roy Hodgson said on live TV shortly before kick-off that Raheem Sterling would not be starting at the Lillekula Stadium because he was “tired” it seemed likely England’s manager had come out with something that would be spun into another fist-gnawingly unnecessary gaffe.

“Raheem was complaining a little about being tired and was not at his best,” Hodgson said, and in fairness there is no suggestion here that Sterling asked not to play, simply that he admitted to some fatigue. Sterling is 19 years old and has played a match every four to five days since mid-August. He probably does feel a bit tired. But no good could possibly come of Hodgson saying as much in public and England’s manager will surely be grateful for Sterling’s impact when he did come on two thirds of the way through what was shaping up to be a slightly frantic display against weak opposition who lost their best defender, Ragnar Klavan, to a second yellow card early in the second half.

Sterling it was who drew the foul that led to Wayne Rooney’s goal in a hard-fought 1-0 victory. By the end he even looked England’s brightest creative attacker. Perhaps –– who knows? – this was even a masterstroke from England’s manager, a wily piece of provocation to his teenage No10. It seems, however, unlikely in the circumstances. And yet for all the likely fuss, dropping Sterling to the bench still seemed like a timely move for a young player who has been asked not just to settle into this chop-and-change England team but to drive its creative aspirations for the past six months.

Indeed, even without Sterling this was the least experienced England first- choice midfield in recent memory, a callow collection of half-finished internationals still waiting for the great leap forward. On a chilly night at this low-slung, intimate aircraft hanger of a stadium, Adam Lallana started at the tip of England’s reconfigured diamond. Lallana has looked in glimpses a natural in an England shirt, a serene, beautifully balanced two footed ball-player, even if here he was crowded a little by England’s own narrowness.

Either way he now has one assist and no goals so far in 11 matches, while an England midfield four of Jack Wilshere, Jordan Henderson and Fabian Delph has no goals and two career assists in a combined 58 appearances. Little wonder England have played Sterling so regularly. Little wonder, perhaps, he should also feel the strain.

Lallana started well enough in his floating role, but it was clear from the start this was going to be a struggle on a tight, choppy pitch. At times Lallana looked like a man playing a caffeine-crazed game of five-a-side, constantly whirling about in search of space between the blue shirts, but twice drifting inside past Artur Pikk with that familiar lazy, quick-footed grace.

Estonia are a weak footballing nation at the best of times, and this is not the best of times. An injury-wracked team, which drew 1-1 with Gibraltar in this stadium this year, took on England with a defence cobbled together from scraps. There was a genuine weakness here that England probed at throughout a first half that also demonstrated their own obvious flaw in this formation, the lack of creativity out wide, with Leighton Baines the only player on either flank with genuine attacking thrust. And so with 64 minutes gone and the game scoreless: enter the somnolent one. Sterling’s introduction as England’s second substitute shifted Lallana to the right in place of Henderson and they instantly looked better as Estonia tired and spaces opened up.

Ten minutes after coming on, Sterling collapsed abruptly in possession near goal. Was it exhaustion? Was it a penalty? In fact it was a free-kick on the edge of the penalty area – and, as it turned out, a goal. Perhaps Sergei Pareiko should have saved Wayne Rooney’s kick, but it was well hit, dipped over the wall and ended up in the corner of the net, to England’s great relief. Either way, England were rescued by their captain’s precision and Hodgson’s decisive substitution.

It is to be hoped the fall-out from Sterling’s slumbers will be mild, not least because there is a wider point here about English football’s sweating of its young talent. In an ideal world, or simply a stronger group of players, Sterling might have been allowed to bloom more slowly than he has, drip-fed into this team rather than plonked right in the middle of things.

It is worth remembering that this time last year he was in and out at Liverpool, had scored just five career goals and only demonstrated the real extent of his talent in the season’s endgame. Such is England’s need, and so alluring Sterling’s blend of speed and intelligence, that he has instead been pretty much chucked in without a second thought, a tyro No10 asked to drive the team’s attack through a World Cup and Euro qualification.

The wider question is, as ever: are we watching a rare talent being moulded and coaxed to its full potential; or a young player being worn down, his light dulled by the unusual pressures of playing so often, and with such responsibility, for club and country? Sterling was bright enough here to suggest that, even handled half-right, and even with a little teenage lassitude to lose, he is surely too good not to succeed in the end.