You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

I'm doing an interview with Purslow shortly. The problem with people like you is that you are clueless to what went on inside the club during them times. You have no idea about how things went on. All Purslow is hated for is that Rafa was sacked.

But Purslow took the full blame for that when the whole board, yes the whole board agreed to a man Rafa had to go. Why did Ayre not take the shit? I'll tell you why, because he is very friendly with the top brass at SOS and they made sure Ayre took no flack and threw it on Purslow.

Yet Ayre was the one who phoned Hicks and told him those protesting were 'a little noise not to worry about'.

Like I say you have no idea about what went on at that time.

I agree with much of that.

There were some alliances back then which did not fit the mould – and were ignored.

Purslow and KK were thick as thieves, I personally witnessed their obviously close relationship at both Anfield , and Euro aways inparticular.

Purslow’s interview with SOS should have seen him sacked for gross professional misconduct, such was the level of insubordination and invective to G&H – why he survived remains unexplained.

Rafa and Purslow did not get on for reasons I can understand from both sides. Broughton’s observation that Rafa’s actions were “the most clear cut efforts at securing dismissal “ that he had ever seen were quickly forgotten.

Purslow’s briefing of the Mirror in the final months did much to undermine G&H.

Ian Ayre has been over-promoted as a place-man by FSG.

Hodgson inherited a disaster zone. How Kenny (or indeed anyone) would have coped will always be an unknown. He certainly inherited a far easier situation to manage than Hodgson did.

He certainly inherited a far easier situation to manage than Hodgson did.

Right, fuck off with that. Dalglish inherited a team that was in a nose-dive towards relegation because that owl-faced twat steadied the ship by running it onto the rocks.

So to summarise, Roy Hodgson was an over-promoted, pompous, puffed-up prick. I hope he gets the England job.

Right, fuck off with that. Dalglish inherited a team that was in a nose-dive towards relegation because that owl-faced twat steadied the ship by running it onto the rocks.

I don’t think that you were paying attention back then, were you?

Hodgson inherited a club with no money, an exhausted belligerent fan-base, which was up for sale, to unknown new owners, with his tenure likely to be measured in weeks, not months, as a result. The owners, and CEO were headed for the lifeboats, key players, Masch, Pepe and Torres all wanted out. The whole club had been riven by a year of infighting. Morale was at its lowest ever. No-one was interested in Hodgson’s future.

Kenny arrived to stable ownership, was able to sell the last of the refuseniks in Torres, and play with a war chest approaching £100m, with 100% backing from the fans and a united club.

Hodgson failed to get to grips with a job that was all but impossible – blaming him for a course which was largely pre-determined is to ignore the previous 12 months, and the circumstances of the club’s sale.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm doing an interview with Purslow shortly. The problem with people like you is that you are clueless to what went on inside the club during them times. You have no idea about how things went on. All Purslow is hated for is that Rafa was sacked.

But Purslow took the full blame for that when the whole board, yes the whole board agreed to a man Rafa had to go. Why did Ayre not take the shit? I'll tell you why, because he is very friendly with the top brass at SOS and they made sure Ayre took no flack and threw it on Purslow.

Yet Ayre was the one who phoned Hicks and told him those protesting were 'a little noise not to worry about'.

Yes, unlike yourself most people aren't privy to the intimate details. Rafa shouldn't have been fired and yeah Purslow appeared from the outside to have orchestrated that as the talk at the time was that they really didn't get on. I didn't like Purslow for that and then for signing players when we didn't have a manager and then appointing Hodgson.

Ayre was the commercial director, why should he have taken the flack when Purslow was the MD? Now I know why you've had this irrational hatred of Ayre though, I didn't know he was well in with SOS.

One thing that's like a broken record these days is you telling people they don't know what they're talking about while insinuating that you do but can't divulge what you know. It's boring.

Oh and Roy Hodgson is a cunt, is shit and should never have been anywhere fucking near our club and anyone who was happy with that is a cunt and deserves a punch square on the nose.

All Purslow is hated for is that Rafa was sacked.

You were slating Steve Morgan on here the other week, the same Morgan your boy Purslow's good mates with and who Purslow was helping to take over the club from Moores.

Purslow made himself a focal point, gegging in on TV interviews, walking around on the pitch in Madrid, publicly undermining the then manager, doing interviews with the supporters union and then trying to undermine them with bare faced lies. Now you're claiming the union ensured that Purslow took the blame and not Ayre? You make it up as you go along.

There's plenty who dislike Purslow simply for hiring Hodgson and handing the likes of Joe Cole bumper long term contracts, for trying to get rid of players like Lucas, there are those who cant stand him for using Dalglish the way he did, in trying to add credibility to the worst managerial appointment we've seen at this club. Let's not forget Marine Dalglish's comments on Twitter at the time of Hodgson's sacking.

He regularly made a tit of himself, so much so every other PL club were unwilling to recognise him as a legitimate CEO/MD.

Cant believe i'm still seeing people cheering on investment bankers and money men like Purslow and Ayre but then i guess those who continue to do so must have plenty in common with such self serving, self publicising individuals.

One thing that's like a broken record these days is you telling people they don't know what they're talking about while insinuating that you do but can't divulge what you know. It's boring.

Oh and Roy Hodgson is a cunt, is shit and should never have been anywhere fucking near our club and anyone who was happy with that is a cunt and deserves a punch square on the nose.

Hahahaha! Yep!

Although I really do appreciate the "in the know" posters. While much of it is bollocks - and they do often revel in their utterly meaningless and ultimately empty status - gossip and snippets and early team sheets and transfer news etc etc are ace, and very, very valuable to websites.

So I don't think we should chase any of them away. They are gold dust.

Guest alantkayll
Yes, unlike yourself most people aren't privy to the intimate details. Rafa shouldn't have been fired and yeah Purslow appeared from the outside to have orchestrated that as the talk at the time was that they really didn't get on. I didn't like Purslow for that and then for signing players when we didn't have a manager and then appointing Hodgson.

Ayre was the commercial director, why should he have taken the flack when Purslow was the MD? Now I know why you've had this irrational hatred of Ayre though, I didn't know he was well in with SOS.

I've said why Purslow gets flack, I don't like Ayre because he was Hicks man and told hicks 'we are a little noise', Ayre played everybody off, but he was a board member who had a vote.

Like I said last night you don't like me fine, but I don't lie. I've posted why Purslow is hated, any other reason is bollocks.

Guest ShoePiss
I've said why Purslow gets flack, I don't like Ayre because he was Hicks man and told hicks 'we are a little noise', Ayre played everybody off, but he was a board member who had a vote.

Like I said last night you don't like me fine, but I don't lie. I've posted why Purslow is hated, any other reason is bollocks.

I think I know why I dislike Purslow better than most and having Rafa fired, signing players and employing cunty owl face are why. They're not bollocks, they're my reasons.

I don't have a personal vendetta against you Alan, I don't even know you. I think you're entertaining on the podcasts and that's about as close as I've got to knowing you. I do believe you when you say you have the interests of the club and the fans at heart, absolutely I do.

You were slating...

Purslow was a man of contrasts.

That Purslow, a “bag man” ,and Morgan a fund raiser should get on is no surprise, and neither here nor there.

He was a complex individual, on the one hand he was a fan who lived the dream of running a football club, but I agree with your criticism of several aspects of professional laxness, and poor judgement.

The people who would take the job , and were serious contenders, when Rafa left, were pretty limited, Roy and Kenny really. Deschampes falls out with his own shadow, Pellegrini was swallowed whole by the Madrid machine and was even more vulnerable than Hodgson to the political poison and media maelstrom which pervaded at the time.

I offer no particular defence for Purslow other than that he too was a pawn in a much bigger picture.

I don’t think that you were paying attention back then, were you?

Hodgson inherited a club with no money, an exhausted belligerent fan-base, which was up for sale, to unknown new owners, with his tenure likely to be measured in weeks, not months, as a result. The owners, and CEO were headed for the lifeboats, key players, Masch, Pepe and Torres all wanted out. The whole club had been riven by a year of infighting. Morale was at its lowest ever. No-one was interested in Hodgson’s future.

Kenny arrived to stable ownership, was able to sell the last of the refuseniks in Torres, and play with a war chest approaching £100m, with 100% backing from the fans and a united club.

Hodgson failed to get to grips with a job that was all but impossible – blaming him for a course which was largely pre-determined is to ignore the previous 12 months, and the circumstances of the club’s sale.

Xerxes talks perfect sense on this.

They could have given the job to Kenny in the first place.

In retrospect, you are right. But it was no certainty back then. And there is no guarantee that KK would have done much better in the circumstances on the pitch.

As I laid out in a previous post, the situation that Kenny inherited was far more manageable than Hodgson had.

There can be no doubt now that Kenny would have had a far greater unifying effect, and would have been far better with the Press. But the long shadow of G&H, and the chronic uncertainty which prevailed at that point with the playing staff would still have loomed large, and their adverse impact would still have had a stranglehold on the club.

Managerial appointments that succeed combine skill, judgement and luck in equal part. Kenny was far better off taking over with fresh owners, fresh funds and fresh hope, than he would have been trying to hold together the last threads of a doomed regime.

Hodgson is a fucking disease, it was a horrific appointment whatever the circumstances were. He was always going to flop because he's a shit manager, get him back in the summer with £100m to spend and he'd still have us botton half next season. He's alright for nothing clubs but anyone with ambition and he simply cant handle it.

We have to be honest with ourselves, and right from the start when he was appointed we did not want him and never gave him a chance. I agree with him. WBA are only 4 points behind us and look what Kenny has spent to what RH has spent. If we were honest, anyone but KD this season would have got agro from our fans.

We have to be honest with ourselves, and right from the start when he was appointed we did not want him and never gave him a chance. I agree with him. WBA are only 4 points behind us and look what Kenny has spent to what RH has spent. If we were honest, anyone but KD this season would have got agro from our fans.

Utter drivel, we are generally fiercely supportive of managers. Much more than other English clubs anyway.

They could have given the job to Kenny in the first place.

I'm glad they didn't. It was a situation where Dalglish could have try easily been made to be a scapegoat of one sort or another. At the time the club wasn't sold, and any potential buyer would be very likely to want his own man in before too long.

We've also just managed to win the league cup. Hodgson got us knocked out in the first round at home by Northampton Town. It's been a disappointing league season but the football's been decent at times while I can guarantee the results and performances under Hodgson would both have been crap.

Hodgson took a 3million pound a year job, with full disclosure of what the job entailed. He is a reasonably intelligent man after all.

The off-field issues didn't lead him to insult the fans, openly criticize the young players after northampton, buy Konchesky, Paulsen, misuse Torres and Gerrard, play mind numbingly dull football and speak complete and utter bollocks on a weekly basis.

None of that was a result of H&G.

Utter drivel, we are generally fiercely supportive of managers. Much more than other English clubs anyway.

Complete bollocks.

If anybody else had performed as Kenny has in the last year, they would be getting hounded.

This 'fiercely supportive' fanbase is quite hypocritical, a lot of the time.

In retrospect, you are right. But it was no certainty back then. And there is no guarantee that KK would have done much better in the circumstances on the pitch.

As I laid out in a previous post, the situation that Kenny inherited was far more manageable than Hodgson had.

There can be no doubt now that Kenny would have had a far greater unifying effect, and would have been far better with the Press. But the long shadow of G&H, and the chronic uncertainty which prevailed at that point with the playing staff would still have loomed large, and their adverse impact would still have had a stranglehold on the club.

Managerial appointments that succeed combine skill, judgement and luck in equal part. Kenny was far better off taking over with fresh owners, fresh funds and fresh hope, than he would have been trying to hold together the last threads of a doomed regime.

As soon as Kenny looked at the shortlist in the Summer of 2010, laughed and said "fuck me, is that who you've got lined up? When you said I wasn't being considered, I thought you had someone good lined up" he should have been given the job, end of discussion. No hindsight or foresight needed.

That a gaggle of suited fucking shitstains like Purslow, Ayre and to a lesser extent Broughton were left in a position to make decisions on the footballing side that could overrule those of Kenny was fucking criminal. Criminal then and criminal now. That the club was allowed to get into such a state is another matter. As soon as Keny said that he wanted it, Hodgsons name should have returned to where it should have been all along, nowhere fucking near the shortlist.

I have no sympathy for Hodgson, he made what was already a difficult situation much, much, much worse by being a fucking cunt who couldn't keep his stupid cunting mouth shut. So fuck him. He was a cunt and a fucking embarrassment from the day he arrived until the day he was rightly sacked and has carried it on since he left.

His problem is that he is an arrogant, deluded prick who will insist on fucking talking.