You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Exclusive: Liverpool Raids Nike For Commercial Chief

Guest simon

Guest simon

Liverpool Football Club will announce tomorrow that it has raided Nike, the American sportswear giant, to recruit a new commercial chief ahead of the new Premier League season.

I've learnt that Liverpool will issue a statement to say that Graham Bartlett, Nike's sports marketing director for the UK and Ireland, will become its new commercial director.

He'll report to Ian Ayre, the club's managing director, and it's interesting because it's one of the most senior appointments made by Liverpool since the club itself changed hands in a disputed takeover last autumn.

Liverpool is now owned by New England Sports Ventures, the owner of the Boston Red Sox, and its future commercial success is seen as crucial to generating the kind of revenue that will allow it to compete in the transfer market against (principally) Chelsea and Manchester City.

The team is in Asia on a pre-season tour which has taken in China, Malaysia and South Korea. Its main sponsor is Standard Chartered, the Asia and Africa-focused bank headquartered in London.

Liverpool declined to comment tonight.

Exclusive: Liverpool Raids Nike For Commercial Chief | liverpool_football_club | graham_bartlett | nike | Kleinman | Sky News Blogs

Liverpool FC has announced the appointment of Graham Bartlett as its new Commercial Director. Graham, who takes up his position in the first week of September, will report directly to Managing Director Ian Ayre.

Graham's role will see him maximise and grow revenue streams within the areas of Partnerships, Digital Media, Merchandising & Licensing, Soccer Schools, Ticketing Sales and Corporate Sales. He will build and maintain strong relationships at senior level with existing partners and suppliers and also work closely with MD Ian Ayre in creating and developing international business sales operations and associated infrastructure.

Currently the Sports Marketing Director of Nike UK and Ireland, Graham has been responsible for all of the company's individual athlete, club and federation sponsorships across all sports. He has over 14 years experience in the negotiation and delivery of major sponsorship, television and licensing agreements for global and national sports properties. Having worked from both a sales and buyer perspective at agency, rights-holder and rights acquirer level in domestic and international markets, he possesses an in-depth understanding of the Sports Marketing business.

A qualified solicitor, Graham began his career in 1993 with Linklaters & Paines before moving four years later to work in the Sports Law Group at Nicholson Graham & Jones. In 1999 he was appointed Vice President and Head of Business Affairs in the Football Department at ISL Worldwide. Two years later he moved to European Football's governing body UEFA as their Head of Business Affairs and Account Management before changing roles to be Head of Business Development, Business Affairs and Licensing. He joined Nike in 2005.

Managing Director, Ian Ayre, said: "Graham is a great addition to our team. Now that we have all of the foundations in place to globalise our brand, Graham's experience across Partnerships, Brands, Merchandise and Media are perfect skill sets to help us achieve our commercial objectives. I have known Graham for some time and am certain he will make a fantastic contribution to the football club."

Graham Bartlett commented: "I'm very proud to be joining such an incredible Club and excited at the challenge ahead. My whole family are from the City itself and as a lifelong fan, there is no other Club in the world that I would have worked for apart from Liverpool. It has a fantastic history and heritage and I'm delighted to be a part of it.

"But I wouldn't have accepted the position unless I thought I could do a good job and help the Club to continue to progress. We are all desperate to take Liverpool to the next level and I want to be part of that adventure."

LFC

Just what we need. This much needed expertise in place and when the new stadium is finished, will help so much in becoming a force again. As much as i dislike whiskeynose and his team of girls, they know how to market their team globally. Having a solid base beneath the team will add more confidence. Good job! (In American accent)

Nike vs Warrior?

My thoughts exactly when i read where he came from. Have to say Nike do make good kits and their advertising for the team they represent is pretty cool (see build up to champion's league final this year)

Guest The Chimp

Best of both worlds here. We've got a lad who is obviously an exceptional talent and also a passionate supporter. In theory, this is an absolutely fantastic appointment.

City poached Garry Cook from Nike. Hope this bloke is nothing like him

I wonder whether his time at UEFA has garnered him some contacts and influence to lobby against the Man City stadium naming rights? (in so far as it may contravene FFP rules)