You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite and least favourite cities?

LFC 6 Times

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have lived in Bangkok for 2 years now and love the place. It is different when you live here. A tourist only sees the back packer or seedy side depending on your style. There is so much to this city. I love the fact that I can get away for a weekend to lovely tranquil areas or crazy spots depending on my mood also.

I only spent a short time in London and New York and loved them. I could see myself living in either. Also loved San Diego and San Fran while I was there.

also a bangkok resident and would agree but not one of the better cities i've visited

Good

St petersburg, Stockholm, Gibraltar, Riga, Talin, Hangzhou

Not so good

Kuala Lumpar, Coventry, Birmingham

Not sure (so bad they are good)

Manila, Pattaya

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The whole "Manchester is a shithole" thing on these forums is pretty embarrasing.

The day that Liverpool catches up to Manchester will be a good day for the city, but it's a way off in the future. For food, culture, music etc it's just superb.

Manchester wouldn't feature on my list of favourite cities, but it certainly wouldn't be in my least favourite.

Favorites: Sydney, Buenos Aires, Barcelona, Montreal (and also Vancouver and Toronto are worth a shout. Canadians do good cities), Tel Aviv, NYC, SF, LA, Tokyo. Quite a few others if I'd thought about it.

Least: Too many to mentioned, really. There's hundreds of shitty, run-down pits around this country and others.

Do you ever get the feeling that threads like this make some people think they need to impress by naming a shit load of places? Reminds me of the guys who when asked for their favourite movie feel the need to say some banal pointless 1950s film noir subtitled from Russian instead of just owning up to it been Bachelor Party.

You were asked for your favourite and least favourite. Not a fucking list.

Favourite – Edinburgh, New York, Berlin, Krakow.

Least favourite - Dundee, Cork, Birmingham, Nottingham, LA, Marseille.

I plan on living for ever. So far so good.

Going back to cities, I find that if I travel somewhere and it's abroad, I'm far more forgiving about that city than I probably am about those in the UK.

As an example, I've been to Brussells two or three times and I really like it, despite the reputation it has for being really boring.

I`m surprised with Bristol as a favourite and Marseille as a shithole, can I ask why.

I spent a night in Bristol last year and thought it was shite.

Been almost a week in Marseille and thought it was good, it needs to be said it was during the WC though so its possible I did not really get the real feel of the place.

I have lived in Bangkok for 2 years now and love the place. It is different when you live here. A tourist only sees the back packer or seedy side depending on your style. There is so much to this city. I love the fact that I can get away for a weekend to lovely tranquil areas or crazy spots depending on my mood also.

I only spent a short time in London and New York and loved them. I could see myself living in either. Also loved San Diego and San Fran while I was there.

I know. You're bang on. But I can only speak of the Bangkok I saw and experienced.

We had a few moments when we got away from the tourist traps, and it was indeed quite beautiful. Particularly when we took a boat trip through the canals, that was ace.

And Ronnie off the forum and his wife took us for a lovely meal down by the river.

But of an evening, because we only had 3 nights and we didn't know where to go, we were very much trapped in the part of town with the side of Bangkok we really didn't enjoy. Plus, I guess I'm judging it against the rest of Thailand, which is just so, so beautiful.

To be honest, I'm thinking you're probably right. I've probably been quite harsh.

I guess it was just too easy to lie and say Manchester like a few other derps on here!

I`m surprised with Bristol as a favourite and Marseille as a shithole, can I ask why.

I spent a night in Bristol last year and thought it was shite.

Been almost a week in Marseille and thought it was good, it needs to be said it was during the WC though so its possible I did not really get the real feel of the place.

One thing I'll say for Bristol is that it's got the best curry house I've been to. Think it was called The Old India and its in an old bank building. A bouncer recommended it to me and my old fella whilst we were down there and it didn't disappoint.

It was an ok night out too if I recall

I feel a bit of a cunt for saying this because it's my hometown but Bradford really is a fucking dump. The sad thing is it shouldn't be, the city centre was full of wonderful old buildings built during the booming wool trade that were inexplicably ripped down in the 1960's to be replaced by some of the most god awful monstrositys imaginable. And then 40 years later they were pulled down too to be replaced by... absolutely nothing. Quite literally nothing, there's just a huge fucking hole in the middle of the city centre now with absolutley nobody prepared to develop on it (and why would they with Leeds on the doorstep?). Plus the entire city centre is far more car friendy than it is pedestrian friendly which makes people even less inclined to visit.

Bradford's always going to be at a bit of disadvantage when it comes to attracting developers and investment due to it's proximity to Leeds but it has also been hugely handicapped by the astounding lack of foresight and at times sheer incompetence displayed by the town planning department. The latest brainwave is to turn the big hole in the centre into a lake, a surefire way to stimulate interest in a dying city if ever there was one.

Guest davelfc
I'll second that. Fucking grim place. Home to one of the creepiest hostels i have ever stayed in too.

There's plenty of places in Phuket that would put the willies up you, best to avoid them.

The whole "Manchester is a shithole" thing on these forums is pretty embarrasing.

The day that Liverpool catches up to Manchester will be a good day for the city, but it's a way off in the future. For food, culture, music etc it's just superb.

But its full of Mancs though Monty