You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ok so the Louis Theroux programme last night had me thinking.

A black Chap, dont know his name, lets call him Dave was in Jail for allegedly killing three people.

He claims that he was in his house asleep at the time of the killings. It was pretty obvious however that through Louis talking to him that he had killed the 3.

Now Dave, if found guilty will be facing the death penalty.

A just sentence for the crime? (this however is not my point or would rather it not discussed too much as we have done capital punishment to death already)

Now in prison Louis and him spoke and he had applied himself to write 5 novels. He had sent all these to I think his partner to get the copy righted for publishing. He said that he reads the dictionary and learns 5 new words daily. He had educated himself with all that he pretty much knew.

Through the interview, Dave advised that he was brought up by his Grandma as his Dad was a gangster and would only turn up to discipline him (by hand) if he had been naughty and his mum was a prostitute hooked on crack.

Dave now is 31 and still really has his life ahead of him.

But say turn the clock back 25 years and there are many more Dave's just like him all over the world in the same situations. Surely we as human beings have a responsibilty to shape these young people'e lives. All this guy knew was what he saw so thats what was going to be shown in his own actions.

Yeah there are hundreds of the same individuals who dont go on to be murderers in the same position, but we have a responsibility for educating the the next generation. Right?

Discuss.........

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was very personable and charming and bright enough that, like you, I did think "what if?" in terms of his upbringing.

That said, every violent, murdering cunt in that place will have a hard luck story to tell, and not every kid with bad or non-existent parents turns into a multiple murderer.

I felt sorry for him, but the black community as a whole loves to feel sorry for itself and blame outside forces for every single thing that goes wrong.

And that isn't just in America. Look at London ffs.

He was very personable and charming and bright enough that, like you, I did think "what if?" in terms of his upbringing.

That said, every violent, murdering cunt in that place will have a hard luck story to tell, and not every kid with bad or non-existent parents turns into a multiple murderer.

I felt sorry for him, but the black community as a whole loves to feel sorry for itself and blame outside forces for every single thing that goes wrong.

And that isn't just in America. Look at London ffs.

Did I actually just read that?? "As a whole"? You mean every single one of them? You must have spoken to a lot of black people.

This gangster culture, any creed is the pointish. They are being educated by MTV rap stars acting like the are blinged up money grabbing gansters, piers who are older than them, who they look up to and idolise. Surley we need to be educating them with what is socially acceptable

"As a whole"??

What about Will Smith? He's my favourite black guy and I don't appreciate you tarnishing him* with the same brush.

*Or the countless other millions of hardworking decent members of the black community.

In my state poor people would qualify for free health care, dental care, food stamps, free breakfast and lunch in

school, free after school care, would be able to play sports for free, free or subsidized housing, then they would

qualify for pretty much free college (community or state not ivy league but even then if your good at school the ivy

league colleges hand out scholarships), cops/firefighters/state agencies easier to get hired if your a minority.

Many of these kids get in trouble when they are young and get sent to juvenile detention. My sister works as a teacher

at one of these facilities. They have smaller class sizes, and social workers, the whole thing for them.

My opinion is that everything is there for them to take advantage of but you have young girls having kids with some

guy that is going to move onto another girl and then it is like a repeating circle when that kid grows up he does

the same thing.

Also I think it can't be good to grow up with the idea that anything that doesn't go your way is because of your race.

Guest ShoePiss
This gangster culture, any creed is the pointish. They are being educated by MTV rap stars acting like the are blinged up money grabbing gansters, piers who are older than them, who they look up to and idolise. Surley we need to be educating them with what is socially acceptable

Agreed.

The Brighton Marine Palace and Pier is a pleasure pier in Brighton, England. It is generally known as the Palace Pier for short, but has been informally renamed Brighton Pier since 2000 by its owners, the Noble Organisation, in an attempt to suggest that it is Brighton's only pier. The West Pier was its rival but was closed in 1975 and was subsequently severely damaged by fires and storms, with the remaining iron structure being partially demolished in 2010.

Work began on the Palace Pier in 1891 and it opened in May 1899 after costing a record £27,000 to build. This was Brighton's third pier. A condition to be met by its builders, in exchange for permission to build, was that the first, The Royal Suspension Chain Pier of 1823, which had fallen into a state of disrepair, was to be demolished.[1] They were saved this task by a storm which largely destroyed the Chain Pier.

A concert hall opened two years later, and by 1911 this had become a theatre .

During World War II the pier was closed and some decking removed as a security precaution.[1]

Summer shows with stars such as Dick Emery, Tommy Trinder and Doris and Elsie Waters were held in the theatre until the 1970s.[1]

During a storm in 1973, a 70-ton barge moored at the pier's landing stage broke loose and began to damage the pier head, particularly the theatre.[1] Despite fears that the pier would be destroyed, the storm eased and the barge was removed.[1] The damaged theatre was never used again.[1]

In 1986 the theatre was removed, on the understanding that it would be replaced.[2] This has not happened, and the present seaward end building looks fairly modern in comparison with the rest of the structure, supporting a domed amusement arcade and several fairground rides, including several thrill rides, children's rides, roller coasters and a log flume.

A bomb planted by the IRA near the pier in 1994 was defused by a controlled explosion.[3]

The pier had signs reading "Brighton Pier" attached to it in 2000, although this change is not recognised by the National Piers Society or many of the residents of Brighton and Hove. The local newspaper, The Argus, still generally refers to the structure as the Palace Pier.

The Palace Pier suffered a large fire on 4 February 2003 but the damage was limited and most of the pier was able to reopen the next day. This was a fraught period for Brighton's piers, with much damage occurring to the West Pier (of 1866) shortly before and after this event.

In 2004 the Brighton Marine Palace Pier Company (owned by the Noble Organisation), admitted an offence of breaching public safety under the Health and Safety at Work Act and had to pay fines and costs of £37,000 after a fairground ride was operated with part of its track missing. Judge Nicholas Ainley, passing sentence at Hove Crown Court, said that inadequate procedures were to blame for the fact that nothing had been done to alert staff or passengers that the ride would be dangerous to use. As a result, the current management, none of whom were employed at the time of the incident, began a detailed new training programme and now employ a full-time health and safety manager.[citation needed]

The pier was listed at Grade II* on 20 August 1971.[4] As of February 2001, it was one of 70 Grade II*-listed buildings and structures, and 1,218 listed buildings of all grades, in the city of Brighton and Hove

Guest ShoePiss

There's so much wrong in this thread already, after only 6 or so posts. Brilliant.

Edit: That was kind of my pointish with the reference to Brighton pier.

In answer to the original post, yes. Of course we do. That's why we have schools and stuff. Our implementation of the education system and its utilization by the more disadvantaged members of our society will always need improving though.

And Silverlining, I hope you're backing up that rather sweeping generalistation with some factual evidence.

A lot of those rap artists have come from being in 'The Game' and managing to get out, Jay Z being the biggest example (of the last 20 years)how it can be done the right way.

It's too easy to blame the rap culture, is it because they appear to glorify guns, killings and all the other scary shit that goes on in the streets? That is all they have known, I wouldn't expect them to be using Rimbaud as a guide or influence to construct their lyrics.

The problem is the Public Sector (over here anyway) has been whittled down to nothing and corporate fat cats are getting the money and the charities that actually know what the fuck they are doing are being ripped apart and those that need the help are being left behind.

It's not about musical taste or colour of skin, it's about widening the gap between the rich and the poor, and the rich couldn’t give a fuck whether the poor get left behind or not.

Without trying to get into a race row about this...

The guy regardless of his colour has murdered three people, correct?

He is trying his best to say he is a changed man buy educating himself?

So fucking what

Murder is murder, regardless what you think of the death penalty (personally i think it only punishes the family of the person being executed)

He did the crime, he should now face the punishment of wherever he is.

Writing a book and learning any amount of words a day, does not justify letting him off.

Fuck him, no matter what colour he is.

Why has his colour got anything to do with it anyway?

I fucking hate people who try to use colour as a reason for anything, you break the law you pay the price, black white yellow whatever.

So what if he had a shite upbringing, law is law.

Do black people in the US not know the law due to the fact their great great great grandfather was a slave and knew no different? fuck off.

Dont kill people, its that fucking simple.

Also, while we are at it, ADHD is a load of bollocks, the kids need a slap, pure and simple.

Do as your told, and stop acting the cunt, if you dont, then have a slap, ADHD bollocks.

Apologies, but I dont hold with all this sort of shite.

Rape, murder, theft, etc etc, it doesnt matter what fucking colour you are, just dont do it you cunts.

There is evidence to support the notion that Afro-Carribean males do not respond well in the traditional learning environment and see study as a 'feminine' pursuit. I'm not sure too much blame can be apportioned to rap music although in some cases it probably doesn't help (chauvinistic overtones, glorification of gun crime etc).

Mog, I concur with most points, however not the issue I was trying to make.

If you always feed shit into your lives all you are going to give out is shit. The mind is a very strong ally for us but also a very strong weapon against us.

I am not saying that these kids do not know that murder is wrong, however I can say that the feel that it is a way of life and this circle needs to be broken.

There is evidence to support the notion that Afro-Carribean males do not respond well in the traditional learning environment and see study as a 'feminine' pursuit. I'm not sure too much blame can be apportioned to rap music although in some cases it probably doesn't help (chauvinistic overtones, glorification of gun crime etc).

Apologies, I was not apportioning any paticular blame onto rap music but saying that it is a small part of the shit that is fed into them. A rational adult can listen to music and ytake it for what it is however some of these younger males, truly live and die by what is being sung/rapped.

Apologies, I was not apportioning any paticular blame onto rap music but saying that it is a small part of the shit that is fed into them. A rational adult can listen to music and ytake it for what it is however some of these younger males, truly live and die by what is being sung/rapped.

Agreed, I would speculate that it is a contributory factor in some cases and possibly seen as justification for acts of violence and a shunning of education in general but I don't think it's a root cause.

Everyone knows a black guy called Dave.

I actually dont, but I do know one called O'neil, and one called Jerry, (Both from totally different sides of the "Black" divide) but neither have killed anyone because their family are of the lowest order of society by proxy.

Sorry here, but you kill people because you are a cunt, not because you were brought up to know nothing better, or different.

The ADHD thing was a piss take btw.