You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

*Shakes head* Everton again.

Fugitive

Everton are an absolute mess. Every time it looks like they have sunk to their lowest point, they somehow find a way to showcase another level of ineptitude.

To sell one of their few assets, Anthony Gordon, to Newcastle United for £40 million without an immediate replacement lined up is an epic failure of leadership from the top, impacting on transfer strategy. 

It would be incomprehensible at the best of times. If the club was in mid-table pushing towards the top six you would scarcely believe they would self-inflict such damage to their ambitions. To do that when the team is 19th and in dire need of quality to avoid relegation defies belief.

If the club fails to recover and goes down everyone involved in this almighty cock-up - from majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri to the boardroom executives Bill Kenwright, chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale and sporting director Kevin Thelwell - will be held responsible.

There ought to be a full and frank explanation as to how and why Everton are the only club fighting relegation who have come out of the transfer window with a weaker squad, otherwise positions are untenable.

I called them the worst run club in the country on Monday Night Football ten days ago. Some people disagreed. I have been proven right.

We can all accept the club was hampered by financial restraints and the fact Everton are an unattractive destination at the moment, but forget the fact they had no new faces on the morning of February 1. It was staggering they had no deals in place by January 1, when the side was already in deep trouble and Frank Lampard was on borrowed time. What was going on between September 1 and the opening of the transfer window? Why was Moshiri promising a new striker if no guarantee could be made? Was Thelwell working with his hands tied behind his back, or is he simply another misjudged appointment, unable to get deals over the line?

There will be no hiding place when the fans gather at Goodison Park on Saturday demanding answers. 

Since the last home game I have felt the current Everton regime has reached the point of no return. Over the last few years my belief has been that the ultimate responsibility lies with Moshiri. He is the one who appoints board members and sporting directors and is supposed to be deferring key responsibilities within the organisation.

We have seen countless examples of him failing to respect any kind of structure, too often acting like he is the sporting director when it comes to approaching and interviewing managers. There is no way ex-sporting director Marcel Brands suggested Carlo Ancelotti or Rafael Benitez should be Everton manager. Equally, there is no way Thelwell was compiling a list of possible replacements for Lampard with Marcelo Bielsa’s name on the list, let alone top of it. 

An owner hiring key personnel only to go down a different path is the recipe for the kind of dysfunction which has contaminated Everton for seven years. Every time decisions backfire - and almost all of them have since 2016 - it feels like someone within the club is blaming someone else. Moshiri claimed in an interview this week he is not responsible for buying players. That inevitably leads to Thelwell’s door, and before him his predecessors Brands and Steve Walsh. There is never any collective responsibility.

That also overlooks how much external influence there has been with recruitment decisions.

It is no surprise Everton fans have been asking who the real power brokers at the club are whenever they read about Moshiri's former business associate, Alisher Usmanov, apparently hovering in the background when previous managerial decisions were taken, despite his status being only as a sponsor since Usmanov was sanctioned in the wake of the clampdown on Russian-backed oligarchs, Everton’s financial problems have become a source of greater focus and it is deeply worrying as to what the future holds unless Moshiri's search for investment is successful.

But any sympathy I had for fellow board members such as Kenwright, Barrett-Baxendale and most recently Thelwell has gradually evaporated because there is a choice for them in the situation Everton are in. If they feel they are being unfairly held accountable they ought to use their influence to communicate to the supporters exactly how and why the club is in its current state. If they really feel they are blameless and their presence has prevented a full-scale descent into chaos, perhaps it is time to take stock, look at the carnage around them and ask if their presence is a help or hindrance? 

Either they are guilty of underplaying their influence, or self-interest has overtaken the broader needs of the club. Everyone can see the enduring involvement of chairman Kenwright at Everton is causing further division among the fanbase. History will be unforgiving if the board members are not on the right side of it. Given the gravity of Everton’s situation, if the root of the problem is elsewhere and they are being wrongly blamed, some of them should have left on a matter of principle years ago.

Instead, the perception is the board took a stance against their own fans when they issued a statement before the last home game suggesting executives did not feel safe attending Goodison. Every Evertonian I know felt unfairly branded amid accusations of protests being taken too far. That has created a greater wedge and it is difficult to see how that will be fixed.

Everton did at least make one January acquisition in the form of Sean Dyche. For all the need and enthusiasm for new players on deadline day, nobody is more important than the manager.

I think Dyche is a good appointment and the right fit for Everton, the move for Bielsa making no sense given the demanding style of football he wants would have taken months to fine tune. Moshiri is fortunate that Bielsa is such a man of principle he could refuse whatever financial incentives were offered.

Dyche will give the supporters what they demand with a team in his image; hard-working, no-nonsense, trying to simplify the game to maximise the full potential of the squad.

Some managers can be unfairly branded because there is nothing exotic about them and what you see is what you get. Dyche comes into that category. He deserves respect for his amazing work at Burnley and there was no-one available better equipped than him to get Everton out of trouble.

Whether he succeeds or fails, he deserves at least 18 months in the job, either rebuilding in the Premier League this summer or entrusted to get Everton back into it.

Dyche could not have had a tougher start to his Goodison career, but the first 48 hours have given him one advantage.

If Everton stay up, it will be almost entirely thanks to his management of a limited, unbalanced squad. If they go down, it will have almost nothing to do with him as seven years of mayhem threatens to end in the ultimate calamity. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Anubis said:

33 years old. Moves like a cart horse (that’s had its legs amputated). But not that Rondon who was signed by der RS manager. Everton spaces may be entertaining tonight.

There's a reason why Champions League, World Cup and serial FA Cup winner Olivier Giroud didn't fancy Everton, while semi-retired goal-dodger Andre Ayew might fancy them.

9 hours ago, Anubis said:

The attempts list, in full. Well, what we know of. Bear in mind all of these, bar Danjuma and Iliman Ndiay, were deadline day attempts.

Danjuma

Illiman Ndiay

Che Adams

Kamaldeen Sulemana

Viktor Gyokeres

Sheraldo Becker

Paul Onuachu

Moussa Dembele

Connor Gallagher

Beto

Nicolo Zaniolo

Andre Ayew

Lucas Joao

Michu Batshuayi

Jean-Philippe Mateta

Ismaila Sarr

Olivier Giroud

Omari Hutchinson

Did they really try for Che Adams? His team had a match last night, his team are direct rivals for relegation. How incompetent are they?

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

Did they really try for Che Adams? His team had a match last night, his team are direct rivals for relegation. How incompetent are they?

To be fair they may have been surmising that Adams was possibly available after Saints have brought two new forwards in.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Can someone post this article that’s behind the paywall?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/02/01/everton-have-proved-right-worst-run-club-country/

Please and thank you. 

Hint F5 and often.

Everton are an absolute mess. Every time it looks like they have sunk to their lowest point, they somehow find a way to showcase another level of ineptitude.

To sell one of their few assets, Anthony Gordon, to Newcastle United for £40 million without an immediate replacement lined up is an epic failure of leadership from the top, impacting on transfer strategy. 

It would be incomprehensible at the best of times. If the club was in mid-table pushing towards the top six you would scarcely believe they would self-inflict such damage to their ambitions. To do that when the team is 19th and in dire need of quality to avoid relegation defies belief.

If the club fails to recover and goes down everyone involved in this almighty cock-up - from majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri to the boardroom executives Bill Kenwright, chief executive Denise Barrett-Baxendale and sporting director Kevin Thelwell - will be held responsible.

There ought to be a full and frank explanation as to how and why Everton are the only club fighting relegation who have come out of the transfer window with a weaker squad, otherwise positions are untenable.

I called them the worst run club in the country on Monday Night Football ten days ago. Some people disagreed. I have been proven right.

We can all accept the club was hampered by financial restraints and the fact Everton are an unattractive destination at the moment, but forget the fact they had no new faces on the morning of February 1. It was staggering they had no deals in place by January 1, when the side was already in deep trouble and Frank Lampard was on borrowed time. What was going on between September 1 and the opening of the transfer window? Why was Moshiri promising a new striker if no guarantee could be made? Was Thelwell working with his hands tied behind his back, or is he simply another misjudged appointment, unable to get deals over the line?

There will be no hiding place when the fans gather at Goodison Park on Saturday demanding answers. 

Since the last home game I have felt the current Everton regime has reached the point of no return. Over the last few years my belief has been that the ultimate responsibility lies with Moshiri. He is the one who appoints board members and sporting directors and is supposed to be deferring key responsibilities within the organisation.

We have seen countless examples of him failing to respect any kind of structure, too often acting like he is the sporting director when it comes to approaching and interviewing managers. There is no way ex-sporting director Marcel Brands suggested Carlo Ancelotti or Rafael Benitez should be Everton manager. Equally, there is no way Thelwell was compiling a list of possible replacements for Lampard with Marcelo Bielsa’s name on the list, let alone top of it. 

Everton have proved me right – they are the worst run club in the country
Sean Dyche will manage his first game as Everton manager on Saturday Credit: GETTY IMAGES

An owner hiring key personnel only to go down a different path is the recipe for the kind of dysfunction which has contaminated Everton for seven years. Every time decisions backfire - and almost all of them have since 2016 - it feels like someone within the club is blaming someone else. Moshiri claimed in an interview this week he is not responsible for buying players. That inevitably leads to Thelwell’s door, and before him his predecessors Brands and Steve Walsh. There is never any collective responsibility.

That also overlooks how much external influence there has been with recruitment decisions.

It is no surprise Everton fans have been asking who the real power brokers at the club are whenever they read about Moshiri's former business associate, Alisher Usmanov, apparently hovering in the background when previous managerial decisions were taken, despite his status being only as a sponsor

Since Usmanov was sanctioned in the wake of the clampdown on Russian-backed oligarchs, Everton’s financial problems have become a source of greater focus and it is deeply worrying as to what the future holds unless Moshiri's search for investment is successful.

But any sympathy I had for fellow board members such as Kenwright, Barrett-Baxendale and most recently Thelwell has gradually evaporated because there is a choice for them in the situation Everton are in. If they feel they are being unfairly held accountable they ought to use their influence to communicate to the supporters exactly how and why the club is in its current state. If they really feel they are blameless and their presence has prevented a full-scale descent into chaos, perhaps it is time to take stock, look at the carnage around them and ask if their presence is a help or hindrance? 

Either they are guilty of underplaying their influence, or self-interest has overtaken the broader needs of the club. Everyone can see the enduring involvement of chairman Kenwright at Everton is causing further division among the fanbase. History will be unforgiving if the board members are not on the right side of it. Given the gravity of Everton’s situation, if the root of the problem is elsewhere and they are being wrongly blamed, some of them should have left on a matter of principle years ago.

Instead, the perception is the board took a stance against their own fans when they issued a statement before the last home game suggesting executives did not feel safe attending Goodison. Every Evertonian I know felt unfairly branded amid accusations of protests being taken too far. That has created a greater wedge and it is difficult to see how that will be fixed.

Seven years of mayhem threatens to end in the ultimate calamity

Everton did at least make one January acquisition in the form of Sean Dyche. For all the need and enthusiasm for new players on deadline day, nobody is more important than the manager.

I think Dyche is a good appointment and the right fit for Everton, the move for Bielsa making no sense given the demanding style of football he wants would have taken months to fine tune. Moshiri is fortunate that Bielsa is such a man of principle he could refuse whatever financial incentives were offered.

Dyche will give the supporters what they demand with a team in his image; hard-working, no-nonsense, trying to simplify the game to maximise the full potential of the squad.

Some managers can be unfairly branded because there is nothing exotic about them and what you see is what you get. Dyche comes into that category. He deserves respect for his amazing work at Burnley and there was no-one available better equipped than him to get Everton out of trouble.

Whether he succeeds or fails, he deserves at least 18 months in the job, either rebuilding in the Premier League this summer or entrusted to get Everton back into it.

Dyche could not have had a tougher start to his Goodison career, but the first 48 hours have given him one advantage.

If Everton stay up, it will be almost entirely thanks to his management of a limited, unbalanced squad. If they go down, it will have almost nothing to do with him as seven years of mayhem threatens to end in the ultimate calamity. 

58 minutes ago, No2 said:

They were firing off phone calls to all in sundry. There were few actual offers but lots of enquiries. Watford sources let it slip that their loan to buy offer for Sarr, in the last hours of the window, was woeful and far short of what would have been needed. 

When you look at the agreement they had in place for Danjuma, you can see they were scrabbling around for bargain basement loans or deals. Personally, I think Thelwell was given a ridiculous low budget to work with.  I think Moshiri is trying to lessen the debt with player sales in preparation for trying to sell them.

Quite.

Chill125

Player Valuation: £500k
When we triumphantly defeat this relegation diagnosis that has been given to the club, who will be the the leading heroes of this time? The men who stepped forward and said I will not pass into the Championship despite all the extra weight I must carry. Which future legends of this club will be the ones to make the difference and end our suffering until next season begins. I believe the following 5 players will rise to save us.

Amadou Onana - The obvious candidate and the man to add a little glamour to our survival party.
Jordan Pickford - Just another day at the office for England's no 1.
Alex Iwobi - Tried as hard as he could but will flourish as the other heroes step up to the plate.
Nathan Patterson - Seeks to go forward whenever he can and this will pay off massively in the relegation run in.
Ellis Simms - I believe he has the calmness in front of goal that Dominic Calvert-Lewin lacks and if they deliver him the ball he will deliver the goals.

I may be in some euphoric stage of grief but Lenny Kravitz sang "It ain't over til it's over" and from now until the end of the season this shall be my survival anthem.
I would also like to add that I hope each and every member of the board gets a horrible disease that is targeted at they're bank accounts leaving them queueing for foodbanks whilst we celebrate another great escape.

17 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

20230201_155457.jpg

Haha, that John Merro is a colossal cunt.

19 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Against them.

Its 0-0 In the derby. It's deep into injury time. When is the ref going to blow? Corner to Liverpool. Trent fires the corner in, Ayew desperately trying to impress dives to head the ball out. The ball hits one of the many facets of his oddly shaped head and flies past Pickford into the roof of the net giving him no chance 

VAR. There's the suspicion of a foul. The ref is called over to view the incident. He watches it once. He watches it twice. He watches it a third time and makes his decision. He jogs back onto the pitch making the VAR signal then points to the centre spot. THE GOAL STANDS!!

The Kop erupts. The bloos scream abuse foaming at the mouth. Their wives run for their lives. Dyche buries his head in his hands and Kenwright starts to cry. Klopp runs on the pitch fist pumping wildly. The Kop sings Ayew, you've got a ten bob head.

This might not happen, but please. Please. PLEASE.....

Would be funny, but I want to fucking paste them 5 or 6 nil.  Sadly, that's not going to happen either!

Conspiraceeeeee.

billyblue80

Player Valuation: £70m
Why do Forest even need him? Seems like every time we go for any player there's a forest a Bournemouth a Saints in contention too they all have big squads it's almost like they just want to prevent us getting anyone even a warm body. I think there's an attempt to help us on our way down.

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Conspiraceeeeee.

billyblue80

Player Valuation: £70m
Why do Forest even need him? Seems like every time we go for any player there's a forest a Bournemouth a Saints in contention too they all have big squads it's almost like they just want to prevent us getting anyone even a warm body. I think there's an attempt to help us on our way down.

Hahahahahaha the mad things is so many of the believe this. Everytime they lose (or we win a game) they pipe up with some sort of conspiracy. The reality is hardly anyone outside the city gives that much of a fuck about Everton.