You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James McCarthy.

Code

We have been linked with him a couple of times the last few weeks and I welcome that link as I see much of a young Gerrard in McCarthy, but thats not really what I`m thinking about.

Just saw him on the pitch for Ireland against Uruguay, what is that all about, I thought he was Scottish?

Didn't he choose to play for Ireland when he first turned professional?

Edit:

At the age of fifteen, McCarthy opted to play for the Republic of Ireland.[12] He was eligible through his family links to Gweedore, County Donegal,[13] and he made a promise to his dying grandfather to do so.[14][15] However, McCarthy also claimed that he would have played for Scotland if they had offered him an international call-up first.[12] Despite multiple attempts to persuade McCarthy to switch his allegiance to the country of his birth, he reaffirmed his decision to play for the Republic of Ireland.[15][16][17]

The Scots know who to blame for not having Mcarthy in their team.

We have been linked with him a couple of times the last few weeks and I welcome that link as I see much of a young Gerrard in McCarthy, but thats not really what I`m thinking about.

Just saw him on the pitch for Ireland against Uruguay, what is that all about, I thought he was Scottish?

He got his Full Irish debut last Saturday, so he is now Irish, like so many other Irish players over the years.

He's half and half. (edit: I stand corrected)

Don't see the Gerrard comparison, I'm yet to see him break through the lines with the ball like young Gerrard loved doing.

But he is class and I would push the boat out to get him in.

A real talent, would love to see him progress under Kenny. I think he's got the lot. He's no defensive midfielder that we're supposedly looking for in the summer, but he's got a little bit of everything thats needed to be a top quality midfielder. Would love to see him here!

He rejected us when he was 16 didn't he? Said he was too young to move, wise decision really. Where would this put Jonjo?

Kenny turned us down once for the same reason... not that I'm ramping up the pressure at all.

I guess that Shelvey will be in the same position if we sign McCarthy as if we sign Adam. He'll get chances.

He rejected us when he was 16 didn't he? Said he was too young to move, wise decision really. Where would this put Jonjo?

Best move of his career so far. He's gained great experience with Wigan over the last two years and developed his game out of the glare of scrutiny he'd have had with us.

God knows where/what he'd even be doing now if we'd signed him, given the turmoil of recent times. He certainly wouldn't have gotten the time on the pitch and experience and responsibility that Wigan have entrusted in him.

I reckon a few teams above us in the league table will be in for him this summer, but if there's anyway we can lure him at a reasonable cost, we should do so. A very good footballer who'll get better and better.

Still way too early for Gerrard comparisons though.

Saw a lot of McCarthy when he was at Hamilton - he and James McArthur used to cruise through Scottish 1st division games as teenagers while hairy arsed Scottish cloggers tried and failed to boot lumps out of them. Well worth taking a gamble on, he's mobile, very intelligent passer and looks like he'll add more goals to his game as he gets older. As a Scot I'm annoyed he chose to play for Ireland - him and Adam could have formed a top class partnership in the middle and maybe kept the Manc rat Fletcher out of the team.

Very good player and a great addition to the Irish Squad. Normally I prefer to see the team kept as Irish as possible but don't really mind if it's parents they qualify through. But that's not the most important thing, the most important thing here is, as with Clark, they wanted to play for Ireland at a young age. Unlike Lawrence, Caleb Folan, Green and Pennant who realised they were too shit for England when they were older.

I can relate to the comparisons on Gerrard and he would be a a sound singing but as somebody said, what would it mean for Shelvey. Perhaps, he could go on loan to Wigan - seems like a good place to develop. I generally feel McCarthy will only move to a club if he was more or less assured of a starting place to further his development. Basically, the reason he turned us down before.

The Scots know who to blame for not having Mcarthy in their team.

When he signed for us, George Burley drove to the JJB, and spent 2 days begging McCarthy to play for Scotland, and McCarthy just kept saying no, until Burley gave up.

Before he signed, he spent a few days at Melwood, being courted by Liverpool, but he again said no, as he wanted to play first team football, and knew that this was more likely at Wigan.

Watching him week in, week out, it's obvious that he already has what it takes to be exceptional. We know we'll lose him, eventually, but you'd all better come a-knocking with sacks full of cash, because he won't be had on the cheap.

McCarthey will no doubt blossom into a fine footballer but whatever about him we'd be mad not to look closely at Abel Hernández...looks a right handfull of a player

Thought he looked excellent last night Gav, but with the caveat that what he was facing was extremely poor - wide open spaces to run into - he was given way too much room.

Still, as you say, he's worth scouting closely

P.S. I presume you had an entire block of the Aviva to yourself?

What price would people think we could tempt Wigan with and be satisfied with ourselves then?

Personally I'd consider anything up to £10m a good buy. Wouldn't cry if we went higher than that either. I think he'd work well with Lucas and, as with Carroll, the right player at the wrong price is much better than the wrong player at the right price.

Thought he looked excellent last night Gav, but with the caveat that what he was facing was extremely poor - wide open spaces to run into - he was given way too much room.

Still, as you say, he's worth scouting closely

P.S. I presume you had an entire block of the Aviva to yourself?

I kow there was the context of the shite defence ,but it was his ball control/off the ball movement that impressed me

It was bad last night but twas no canada game .Im in the south next to the singing section so that was full enough,its the corperate areas that were empty.Whats worse is that it was like a fucking creche there and some young jobsworth kepot coming over to tell me and the lads to sit down..we're the 2nd last row to the wall with no-one behind us ...I tore strips off him and sent him on his merry way,of course the whole section started singing "Cunt in a jacket,yer just a cunt in a jacket" at him