You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Heighway quits?

dave u

Bit of a mystery. All I can think ... So in answer to your question, erm, I don't know.

Thought long and hard about it and couldn't come up with a sensible reason. The quality is obviously of a decent level and wasn't it the other year that we won both the U17 and U19 leagues but we've won just one Youth FA Cup in our history when Owen had a blinder all the way through (there's plenty of no-mark clubs who must have won more).

I've argued at length that our main problem with "The Academy" actually exists in the vital period between 19 and 21 when you have to get fed into the first team bit by bit which makes it really a Melwood problem. Still doesn't explain the dearth of Youth Cups.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought long and hard about it and couldn't come up with a sensible reason. The quality is obviously of a decent level and wasn't it the other year that we won both the U17 and U19 leagues but we've won just one Youth FA Cup in our history when Owen had a blinder all the way through (there's plenty of no-mark clubs who must have won more).

I've argued at length that our main problem with "The Academy" actually exists in the vital period between 19 and 21 when you have to get fed into the first team bit by bit which makes it really a Melwood problem. Still doesn't explain the dearth of Youth Cups.

I agree with that, it is the 19-21 bit that's the problem, and a lot of that can be put down to the players not getting enough games at reserve level, either due to the lack of fixtures or the amount of squad players blocking their path.

Prime example of this is John Welsh, a fucking class player who is really being held back to the point where he mightn't develop into the player he should. He has to go out on loan next season, and should have ben allowed to go last season when Coventry wanted him.

The dearth of youth cups is a mystery though, but as you say, plenty of shit teams have won it. I think sometimes at that age, physical power can overcome superior footballing skill. That's what happened with Barnsley and Gillingham.

Liverpool played very badly on both nights, but the other sides were much bigger and stronger from what I remember. Then again, they encounter that in Academy league games and manage to overcome it, so I guess it can't be that.

A friend of mine coaches at the Academy and said he watched our U14's a few weeks ago in a match and said they were very poor for their age group. Not just a case of having a bad day at the office either, they were just poor players.

A friend of mine coaches at the Academy and said he watched our U14's a few weeks ago in a match and said they were very poor for their age group. Not just a case of having a bad day at the office either, they were just poor players.

But the team that Ince's lad plays in is meant to be unbeaten for about two years or something like that. Every team isn't going to be full of great players, these things go in cycles, and maybe there just isn't that many good players out there in that age group.

Pr it could be that parents are sending their kids elsewhere because of the lack of opportunities lads are getting in our first team. Who knows.

It might be that the current U14 team is crap, but the U15 team is said to be a truly gifted generation of young players. Charlie Barnett, James Frayne, Michael Burns etc are said to be amazing prospects. Robbie Fowlers brother is in the team btw, if my memory serves me correct. The U13 team is also said to be very good (Thomas Ince playes there).

There was a competition here in Norway (among the top 12 rated talents, where the winner (actually there were two of them) got a "trial" with Liverpool. They played with both the U14 team and the U19 team (this was last season), and they both said the U14 team was extremely impressive - almost as good as the U19 side.

One of the players, Per Ciljan Skjelbred (16 years old now) has since then signed a three year contract for Rosenborg (and has made his debut for them), but Liverpool have told him that whenever he wants to go abroad he is welcome to join Liverpool.

It might be that the current U14 team is crap, but the U15 team is said to be a truly gifted generation of young players. Charlie Barnett, James Frayne, Michael Burns etc are said to be amazing prospects. Robbie Fowlers brother is in the team btw, if my memory serves me correct. The U13 team is also said to be very good (Thomas Ince playes there).

whenever he wants to go abroad he is welcome to join Liverpool.

Robbie & Scott Fowler's Dad was in the Echo a good couple of weeks ago saying that Scott wasn't going YTS at the Academy and he will be going to college. It was in an article about Robbie Fowler Snr being seriously unwell.

What age group is that Dave? I remember hearing a couple of years ago that that years u-14s were shit hot, think that'd be the likes of Jimmy Ryan and Charlie Barnett, any of the lads from that age group impressed you much?

Of that group I've probably seen more of Ryan than any of the others, and as I've said in another thread he's a very good player.

Charlie Barnett has mainly been a late sub in the games I've seen, but I've heard good things about him.

Guest Dancing Dave
Sorry folks, false alarm. Done some checking and he hasn't quit, he's just had a few days off.

Gonna put something on the site about it now.

A career with the S*n beckons. ffs, PLEASE get real, if only for the moths.

A career with the S*n beckons. ffs, PLEASE get real, if only for the moths.

Never claimed the Heighway story was fact, merely said it was a rumour I'd heard which I'd look into. I did, and found out the rumour thankfully wasn't true, and then put that up on the site.

Notice you're back on here now just because we've won a game. Last time I saw you on here was when you took your ball and went home the other week after your little tantrum. Ran off like a scalded dog, excuse the pun ;-)

I almost started to feel sorry for you then.

And how come you never posted your 'exclusive' about Kenny's return as boss and Souness being his assistant on here? You posted on it on another forum. And you've got the cheek to make that S*n remark to me? You're a joke.

There was a competition here in Norway (among the top 12 rated talents, where the winner (actually there were two of them) got a "trial" with Liverpool. They played with both the U14 team and the U19 team (this was last season), and they both said the U14 team was extremely impressive - almost as good as the U19 side.

One of the players, Per Ciljan Skjelbred (16 years old now) has since then signed a three year contract for Rosenborg (and has made his debut for them), but Liverpool have told him that whenever he wants to go abroad he is welcome to join Liverpool.

Where do you get all your info mate?

I thought I knew loads but you're like a human google

Robbie & Scott Fowler's Dad was in the Echo a good couple of weeks ago saying that Scott wasn't going YTS at the Academy and he will be going to college. It was in an article about Robbie Fowler Snr being seriously unwell.

So is he not being offered terms? Is he not good enough?

To be honest I didn't even know he was at the club, is he any good?

Guest jonathan

heighway has got a ace up his sleave whith his under 15s squad they are the best team in england for there age and have 5 players who play for the 17s if you want to see good football go and watch them

My year group at school is in this age-bracket and we recently got through to the ESFA National Cup semi-final. We played against Cardinal Heenan at the Academy and lost 3-1. We were reigning Wirral and Merseyside Champs but were blown away (although nearly all of my boys were over-awed by the occasion and off their games).

Cardinal Heenan had three lads with Liverpool who were only allowed to play one half each. We were made up to see their best player go off at half-time and thought it was our chance to regroup. Unfortunately, they brought on two who were even better and that was that. The thing is, we had been undefeated all season without conceding a single goal in all competitions, and we were spanked. If these three lads (and I don't know their names) are indicative of the talent in that group at Liverpool, we've got some players coming through.

I also saw Ince's lad play against our school in the age group below and he looked outrageously talented: pace, touch and skill were all top drawer.

Let's hope at least a couple of these players make it because I see a lot of school boy football at a high standard and these boys all shine.

Guest Dancing Dave

Notice you're back on here now just because we've won a game. Last time I saw you on here was when you took your ball and went home the other week after your little tantrum. Ran off like a scalded dog, excuse the pun ;-)

I almost started to feel sorry for you then.

Little tantrum?? lol!! Where was that Dave?? You wouldn't be making things up again would you?? I look in on divs reunited most days, the script remains the same, I leave.

And how come you never posted your 'exclusive' about Kenny's return as boss and Souness being his assistant on here? You posted on it on another forum. And you've got the cheek to make that S*n remark to me? You're a joke.

Dave Dave Dave......you really ARE a S*n-hack waiting to happen.....if you MUST stalk me across the internet PLEASE tell the truth, an anathema to would-be journos I know...it wasn't an 'exclusive' (lol!) it was a story one of the lads heard which personally I couldn't believe either. Hamman to Schalke, Barton to City, believable, Houllier to see out his contract and THEN go to the academy, believable, the part about Dalglish coming in, believable, but Souness as #2, nah. This lad is sound though, and he has been proven right in the past.

Hope you're over the disappointment of yesterdy'a win........I was there of course, even though you reckon I never go.....weird innit?? arf!!

Guest Dancing Dave
Wondered why there was an extra strong smell of manure yesterday of course Dancing Dave was there Liverpool FC No 1 fan.

lol!! Usher's poodle returns!! Actually mate, were your ears burning yesterday?? Only, one of the lads was saying how fu*king sad it is that you stick a picture of your wedding up on a footy site........now run along.

lol!! Usher's poodle returns!! Actually mate, were your ears burning yesterday?? Only, one of the lads was saying how fu*king sad it is that you stick a picture of your wedding up on a footy site........now run along.

One of the lads who are they your pretend friends.

Tell me were exactly do you sit at home games, I ask because I would love to interview the people who sit next to you, I'm sure they all have a Dancing Dave story to tell which would be good for Childrens TV.

Guest Dancing Dave
One of the lads who are they your pretend friends.

Tell me were exactly do you sit at home games, I ask because I would love to interview the people who sit next to you, I'm sure they all have a Dancing Dave story to tell which would be good for Childrens TV.

I sit in the Moan stand, in line with the box at the Anny. You sit on your sad arse in Manchester by all accounts. Fetch........

I sit in the Moan stand, in line with the box at the Anny. You sit on your sad arse in Manchester by all accounts. Fetch........

Excellent give me row and seat numbers and I'll get BBC north West to do a story on you all.

The show will be called 'Dancing Dave the story of despair'

BTW what accounts are they your talking about.

Guest Dancing Dave
Excellent give me row and seat numbers and I'll get BBC north West to do a story on you all.

The show will be called 'Dancing Dave the story of despair'

BTW what accounts are they your talking about.

Brilliant mate.......are you a comedy show sketch writer perchance??