You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rooney escapes FA action

The Football Association has confirmed no further action will be taken against Wayne Rooney following the Manchester United striker's elbow on James McCarthy at the weekend.

The FA had been waiting to receive Clattenburg's report on the incident before deciding whether video evidence could be used to charge Rooney with violent conduct.

However, it would appear that Clattenburg's explanation of the challenge has left the FA with no scope to act retrospectively within the current rules.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This actually just makes me think so much less of Clattenburg. That he could look at those pictures and not have the balls to stand up and admit that he gave a free-kick for something he didn't see, which he clearly did, is shameful. Once again the FA are bringing football into disrepute, the charge they so cowardly throw at anyone who demands they be held to account, be it players or managers.

I also can't believe that one of the Wigan played didn't knock the cunt out in the tunnel. He'd fully deserve it.

The cunt Ferguson publicly condemned elbowing in football not too long ago and said that is cowardly and very dangerous and that it should get a long term ban.

Then he said the following:

“If the referee sees it properly, it's a red card," Ferguson said of Ballack's body-check. "He's elbowed him clearly. The referee's in line and had a clear view so Ballack's lucky. But he's made a rod for his own back. He'd stopped the game twice already: when Nani was down and on a second occasion when Ballack went down. We've seen that before with him. I spoke to the referee [about that previous incident] and he said it was serious and Ballack needed treatment, though he was up straight away.”

And also said the following:

Sir Alex Ferguson has described the Football Association's disciplinary department as a "dysfunctional unit" and called for a complete overhaul of its procedures after claiming that Liverpool were given preferential treatment to Manchester United.

Ferguson was responding to the FA's decision not to punish Liverpool's captain, Steven Gerrard, for the use of his forearm on Portsmouth's Michael Brown at Anfield on Monday. "I don't think they know what they are doing," the United manager said. "But I certainly think if it was a Manchester United player he would have been done, as was the case with Rio Ferdinand. It is crazy at times. You scratch your head. Everybody scratches their heads at some of these decisions. You scratch your head but it will always be that way."

Ferguson was referring to Ferdinand's three-match ban for swinging his arm into the face of Hull City's Craig Fagan in January, a punishment that was increased to four matches when the champions lodged an appeal.

Gerrard would have been banned from Liverpool's trip to Old Trafford tomorrow if he had been found guilty of an FA charge of violent conduct and Ferguson alleged that the Anfield club historically got away with more than United. "We know that. They do all right. They are lucky like that. Maybe one day we will get lucky."

Then he comes out with a "witch hunt" against Rooney, who was nothing but a coward yesterday. It was an assault, nothing less.

Un fucking believable.

I know people say 'we shouldn't be surprised....blah blah' but i find it fucking astonishing that they can still get away with stuff like this. 'sir alex' can literally do what he fucking wants. Somebody has to stand up to these cunts sooner or later.

Clattenbung should be hung by his bollocks with cheesewire, the truly odious prick. I'd love somebody to fucking smash his skull in with an elbow in the next game he refs see if he calls it a 'coming together' then. Wanker

Its like an unofficial rule that they're favoured to ridiculous levels and nothing is done, how can that sort of thing happen?

I'm not naive enough to think we've never had a favourable decision because we're a big club or a ref bottled it at Anfield, but this is crazy, they're getting let off with massive, game changing decisions in every game. 1-0 up at Stoke, an already booked Gary Neville mauls Etherington and gets nothing. 2-0 down at Blackpool a stonewall penalty for Blackpool not given, 1-1 at West Brom, Neville the last man batters someone in the area, no penalty, no red card, 0-0 at Wigan, Rooney assaults someone, nothing done and theres loads more examples. And I wont even start on how we constantly get screwed at their ground.

Its completely out of control. We'll probably have a player sent off on sunday when he goes up for a header now to show "refs dont accept violence on the pitch".

What a bunch of bollockless, pathetic sacks of shit we have running football in this country. They demand the utmost respect for officials from players and supporters from grassroots to the professional game and yet you have one of the top players in the country committing an outright assault in immitigable circumstances and the flouncing cunts in power do absolutely nothing about it.

"Oh the rules, the rules! We're powerless to act within the current rules!" If Clattenberg's report was put together so idiotically that a player is getting away with elbowing someone in the side of the head in spite of video evidence proving his culpability then fucking demote him. Do something, anything to show that it's not tolerable within the current game, but don't do just sit on your hands and do nothing.

Great example for the kids growing up, this, and a great way to deter players from taking matters into their own hands. A kid gets elbowed in the face and the assailant gets an arm round his shoulder from the referee and not even a pretence of justice. Disgusting.

Its completely out of control. We'll probably have a player sent off on sunday when he goes up for a header now to show "refs dont accept violence on the pitch".

He won't even need to go up for a header. Just being on the same pitch will be sufficient. All the "Respect The Ref" campaigns and clampdowns of infractions only come into force from 1:30pm on Sunday, and they will only be enforced for the one match. One way only. Since we will certainly have a man sent off for fuck-all anyway (straight red no less meaning a 3 game ban) I'd be happy if that player was Poulsen and he puts his foot through Rooney's ass on his way off.

ROONEY WILL FACE NO ACTION FROM FA

Wayne Rooney will face no disciplinary action for his attack on Wigan's James McCarthy at the DW Stadium on Saturday.

Television replays clearly showed Rooney swipe McCarthy on the back of his head with an elbow after the midfielder had appeared set to block the Manchester United striker's run.

At the time referee Mark Clattenburg awarded a free-kick and, after contacting the official today, the FA have been told the official feels he administered the appropriate action, which leaves the governing body powerless to launch disciplinary proceedings against the 25-year-old England international.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez claimed if Clattenburg had seen the incident properly the offence would have warranted a straight red card, a view endorsed later that evening on Match of the Day by Alan Hansen, who suggested Rooney was "in big trouble".

However, the disciplinary process is complex in the sense that the FA are not allowed by FIFA to take further action on incidents already dealt with by the referee.

In addition, world football's governing body frowns upon the idea that referees could go into a game believing they have a "get-out" of trial by video, as is the case in both codes of rugby, where Rooney would almost certainly have been cited given the severity of the incident.

It meant that Clattenburg would first of all have had to admitted he did not see the incident and then explain exactly what he gave the free-kick for given the striker committed no other offence.

Sir Alex Ferguson will no doubt be gratified at knowing his £27million front-man will be available for tomorrow's trip to Chelsea and next weekend's encounter with Liverpool at Anfield, having claimed on Saturday the media would try to "electrocute" Rooney.

But the manner in which this case has been dealt with is bound to bring more calls for the widespread use of video technology.

Such demands reached a crescendo following last summer's World Cup final but so far FIFA president Sepp Blatter, whose organisation would have to give the green light for technology to be used, has been implacably resistant to such calls.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | ROONEY WILL FACE NO ACTION FROM FA

The cunt Ferguson publicly condemned elbowing in football not too long ago and said that is cowardly and very dangerous and that it should get a long term ban.

Then he said the following:

And also said the following:

Then he comes out with a "witch hunt" against Rooney, who was nothing but a coward yesterday. It was an assault, nothing less.

Un fucking believable.

The fucking balls on the lying cunt in that second quote. He runs the FA like Vichy fucking France and he has the fucking brass to say that? I don't remember it at all but that's really quite a staggering lack of self-awareness.

That's it. There simply has to be an investigation. There is no way shape or form that Clattenburg could look at that footage and not admit he made a mistake.

I know I sound like some bitter, but I simply do not accept anymore that there isn't bribery of officials going on. This, for me, is the confirmation.

The FA have to investigate Clattenburg. If they don't then they are simply confirming that they are as corrupt as the official.

Amazing. The control Man Utd have of the FA and the refs is sickening.