You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

These 'spontaneous' Egypt uprisings.

Section_31

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an email to Egypt ' bounced' today. Seems everything's gone tit's up.

The options seem to be:

a) Mubarak stays in,

b) Secular mob,

c) Koran bashers,

If the latter get control the Suez canal could get closed, or at least restricted. Oil price will go through the roof and the yanks would then send the GIs in on humanitarian grounds.

The options seem to be:

a) Mubarak stays in,

b) Secular mob,

c) Koran bashers,

If the latter get control the Suez canal could get closed, or at least restricted. Oil price will go through the roof and the yanks would then send the GIs in on humanitarian grounds.

Egyptian military officers have been trained in our military schools for the past 30 years.

Theres no way this is a CIA operation. This sort of sucks for the US military, but its probably good in the long run, and hopefully Obama can steer us to a reasonable resolution.

The options seem to be:

a) Mubarak stays in,

b) Secular mob,

c) Koran bashers,

Koran bashers please, would piss the US/Isreal loads.

Let's get some militant Muslims in government to confront the militant Jewish government going on and see if Palestine can be wiped back onto the map after Isreal wiped it off.

Just hope the people stick to they guns on this and don't get subverted by interests.

Says now that he'll go, but only in September. Shades of Gordon Brown there. Obviously been taking tips on clinging desperately to power from his British sister party :whistle:

Yes both of them essentially disctators who weren't ever elected by their people. Suppose the same goes for Cameron and Clegg. Last 3 rulers of this country not elected. Democracy? hahaha. What a swizz.

I'm sure that what the world really needs right now is another Islamic theocracy :whatever:

What the world wants and want Egypts people want are probably two different things. I thought you were for democracy?

Typical western attitude. Same attitude as when the Palestinians elected Hamas, then decide to punish them for their choice cos it wasn't what we wanted.

The theocrats don't appear to be getting a look in.

"There were several elements about this unprecedented political event that stood out. First was the secularism of the whole affair. Women in chadors and niqabs and scarves walked happily beside girls with long hair flowing over their shoulders, students next to imams and men with beards that would have made Bin Laden jealous. The poor in torn sandals and the rich in business suits, squeezed into this shouting mass, an amalgam of the real Egypt hitherto divided by class and regime-encouraged envy. They had done the impossible – or so they thought – and, in a way, they had already won their social revolution.

And then there was the absence of the "Islamism" that haunts the darkest corners of the West, encouraged – as usual – by America and Israel. As my mobile phone vibrated again and again, it was the same old story. Every radio anchor, every announcer, every newsroom wanted to know if the Muslim Brotherhood was behind this epic demonstration. Would the Brotherhood take over Egypt? I told the truth. It was rubbish. Why, they might get only 20 per cent at an election, 145,000 members out of a population of 80 million."

Robert Fisk: Secular and devout. Rich and poor. They marched together with one goal - Robert Fisk, Commentators - The Independent

The theocrats don't appear to be getting a look in.

I really hope that remains the case, but they didn't appear to be getting much of a look in during the Iranian Revolution either, and we know what happened there.

You have to have optimism, but then you read that 84% of Egyptians support the death penalty for anyone who leaves Islam, and it's hard to be anything other than deeply worried.

Egypt is as democratic as North Korea. All major opposition parties are banned and Mubarak wins every election with about 99% of the vote. It's such a farce, no wonder the Egyptians have finally had enough of being made fools of. Frankly, Mubarak should count himself lucky if he escapes being lynched by the baying mobs outside his 'palace'.

First glimpses perhaps of the worldwide class war I reckon is coming. When you hear these people talking in the street they're less arsed about the freedom of assembly and the press and all that shite, and more arsed about jobs.

Collectively, the world seems to be slowly waking up to the fact their lives have been ruined by people who already have too much. Black, white and brown - they're crying foul.

I'm all in favour of democracy but last time I checked, democracy was entirely incompatible with theocracy.

Not at all mate, you mean the 'rule of God' check the USA, George Bush used to swear by it.

Anything they vote for is acceptable to them, they vote for theocracy then that is for them to decide is it not?

However you brought up theocracy, dirty trick, you mentioned that not I, not the Egyptians. All I said was that Egypt could do with some militant Koran baskers in charge, democratic ones of course. Then can link up with their democratically elected militant Hamas brothers and prevent Isreal wiping Palestine off the map anymore than it has done by taking back control of the crossings. Open the Palestine prison. Get the Flotillas in. DEMOCRACY IN THE MIDDLE EAST-LETS HAVE IT!

No one mentioned theocracy which is more like what they have now. Mubarak is the God in that though, you can tell he's not God though, as God isn't that arrogant.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
First glimpses perhaps of the worldwide class war I reckon is coming.

I'm coming around to this line of thinking. I'm not sure if it's going to be a class war or just a global uprising - not sure there's too much difference - but I've heard you say it and I've gone from very skeptical to not altogether convinced that you're not a prophet.

Is it just a personal theory of yours, or can you point me in the direction of any further reading/prophesies on the subject?

I'm coming around to this line of thinking. I'm not sure if it's going to be a class war or just a global uprising - not sure there's too much difference - but I've heard you say it and I've gone from very skeptical to not altogether convinced that you're not a prophet.

Is it just a personal theory of yours, or can you point me in the direction of any further reading/prophesies on the subject?

It's just a feeling really inspired by piecing together a global picture. I watched a film called South of the Border by Oliver Stone last year about the rise of the left in South America, how they were gradually kicking American influence out of their countries and at least attempting to redistribute their own wealth. The film came not long after the Brazilian president declared that the world financial crisis had been started by 'white men with blue eyes'.

Then you had the Greek riots, and even the increased violence in Northern Ireland (which was put down to a return to 'just' sectarian violence, but began as the economy started to take a nosedive)

I also saw a thing about the rise of Maoist guerrillas in India and the fact that - even though its wealth is increasing - the wealth is becoming ever more centralised and that the state is becoming increasingly draconian to deal with the fallout of people's discontent.

It just seems like the same global picture, globalisation was destructive enough in the good times, it brought plenty of protests even while people's bellies were full, but as things deteriorate people are looking to blame someone and they're increasingly coming to realise just who it is they should be blaming.

The world is filled with angry people whose standards of living are either deteriorating - or, as is the case in the east - 'should' be rising, but often isn't.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's just a feeling really inspired by piecing together a global picture. I watched a film called South of the Border by Oliver Stone last year about the rise of the left in South America, how they were gradually kicking American influence out of their countries and at least attempting to redistribute their own wealth. The film came not long after the Brazilian president declared that the world financial crisis had been started by 'white men with blue eyes'.

Then you had the Greek riots, and even the increased violence in Northern Ireland (which was put down to a return to 'just' sectarian violence, but began as the economy started to take a nosedive)

I also saw a thing about the rise of Maoist guerrillas in India and the fact that - even though its wealth is increasing - the wealth is becoming ever more centralised and that the state is becoming increasingly draconian to deal with the fallout of people's discontent.

It just seems like the same global picture, globalisation was destructive enough in the good times, it brought plenty of protests even while people's bellies were full, but as things deteriorate people are looking to blame someone and they're increasingly coming to realise just who it is they should be blaming.

The world is filled with angry people whose standards of living are either deteriorating - or, as is the case in the east - 'should' be rising, but often isn't.

I've watched South of the Border also. I think it's a good documentary, even if it only serves to document things that are already known and portrays them to people that already know them. There are still real economic and personal rights problems though. They need to figure out how to have a fair but free society; to create wealth, but to have it in the hands of the many rather than the few. That's what I believe is the main problem in the world, and to a certain extent it always has been; power and money is concentrated into the hands of the owners and the rulers. That can't continue without subjugation. The sooner we break free from the subjugation, at whatever level, the better it'll be for all of us.