You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres mega-thread

cole7

Personally I don't think it's the end of the world.

Torres's head hasn't been right all season,if he wants to go,let him.

Torres as exercised his right to hand in a transfer request,Liverpool have as much right to exercise their right to get as big a fee as possible.

If there is a clause they shouldn't accept a penny less than that.

Personally i wouldn't mind if we could get Benzema in to replace him and have £20m change to strengthen other parts of the team.

Torres is nowhere near as bad as Owen

its damn stupid timing but nowhere near as bad

It's worse in my opinion. Owen left with a year left on his contract to go to a different country, yes for a pittance, but still to a different country.. he wanted to come back to Liverpool but we didn't bid the crazy money Newcastle did.. then when he was leaving them and wanted to come back AGAIN for free we still didn't go for him.. His agent found the Scum would offer him a chance.

I resent Owen for going there of all places yes, however Torres handing in a transfer request when with 3 days to go after saying you were going nowhere only 2 weeks ago, to go DIRECTLY to a rival we've had numerous run ins with in the last 7-8 years.. Yeah Owen was a little shit, Torres being biggest cunt of all time.

I dont know why but all being well the suarez deal goes through, i am so pumped up and hoping this lad does it, he has all my faith in him now.

Feel nothing actually, dont know if its because since 7 tonight been waiting to see anything official so its not a shock to me.

I just repeat what already said, we are Liverpool Football Club, 5 european cups, 18 titles and a team that is on its way up with Kenny at the helm and owners who have no put a foot wrong. Any bastard that thinks they are better than the club please leave so we can build our club. Thanks...

We'll always be bigger than any player

Fixed mate.

Some people on here need to get a fucking grip. Yeah, its Torres, yeah he is great when he is in the mood.

But we fucking support the club. Not a fucking Fernando fucking Torres. He wants to leave? Fuck him. Fuck him off. For the best price. Thanks. Good night.

Move fucking on. £40m gets 2 strikers or 1 good striker and a good winger. Fernando Torres of the last 15 months or so can be easily replaced.

Surely Suarez must be thinking 'what the fuck?' right now.I'm sure one of the main factors in him signing must be getting to play with Torres

I don't think thats the case (if your think 4-4-2), i thought it would more of a swop up front (single striker), via subs to break defenses down or he'll play on the left.

It says in that article that Chelsea want Torres to help them win the CL this season but surely he is cup tied so how the fuck is he going to help them from the stands?

Clubs still in the Champions League can, from January, register ONE player that has already played in Europe for another club that same season. In 2009, Real Madrid signed both Diarra (played for Portsmouth) and Huntelaar (played for Ajax), and could only register one of them to their Champions League squad. They chose Lass, and we bummed them silly. For some reason, Europa League teams can't register a player if that player's previous club is also still in the Europa League, be it from the season start or from finishing 3rd in their Champions League group. That's why we couldn't register Maxi last season.

When Rooney threw his transfer request in a few weeks ago I stated that a working man has the right to change his place of work if he so desires. But there has to be some notice period. Three fucking days? Even Bob Crowe couldn't defend Torres on this one.

The club's statement doesn't just remind him of his contractual obligations but also his commitment to the fans. The fans will, no doubt, also drop gentle reminders of that commitment to Fernando in the coming months. But, for fuck's sake, no shirt burning. Think of the environment.

Not too surprised about this considering Chelsea's bid. Very disappointing that he appears to favour a move to Chelsea of all clubs. And he surely must have known we would reject a transfer request in the middle of the season? No way should we sell him in Jan. Sell him in the summer for no less than £50M. He's not the same player he was anyway. Stupid girlie looking cunt.

Fixed mate.

Some people on here need to get a fucking grip. Yeah, its Torres, yeah he is great when he is in the mood.

But we fucking support the club. Not a fucking Fernando fucking Torres. He wants to leave? Fuck him. Fuck him off. For the best price. Thanks. Good night.

Move fucking on. £40m gets 2 strikers or 1 good striker and a good winger. Fernando Torres of the last 15 months or so can be easily replaced.

You've spoken the most sense of anyone on this thread mate. Totally agree.

Extract from Sam Wallace - Independent

The memory that will stand out for me of Torres' last season at Liverpool – if this is what it turns out to be – will be the moment against Everton in October when Jamie Carragher roared at Torres for a pass that fell short. Torres put his finger to his lips to shush Carragher.

There can be little doubt that it was Torres' preference to join Chelsea in the summer and when that was denied to him he was never the same. Hodgson generously pondered in public what was wrong with his centre-forward when it seemed obvious that Torres was sulking. Little surprise that his best performance this season was against Chelsea.

Whether it is in the next three days or next summer, parting with Torres will be painful for Liverpool. The fans have built a mythology around him that implies he is as wedded to the place as they are. But even before the departure of Rafael Benitez – the prime mover in bringing Torres to Anfield – that view looked unrealistic.

Torres joined a club in 2007 that had contested two of the previous three Champions League finals. Now he finds himself at a club that considers seventh place at the end of January to be a sanctuary relative to where they were one month ago. This was not the mission he signed up for.

Should Torres leave in the summer, then it gives Liverpool the freedom and resources to rebuild. Every major sale is fraught with risk but some of the boldest moves in football have begun with a big departure. Liverpool's owners might feel that vanquishing the uncertainty around Torres is liberating.

The days when a club struggling for Champions League football could hold on to one or two elite names are gone – especially when those players come from overseas and do not feel the same loyalty. The modern approach to success at the very elite level in Europe practised by Real Madrid – and to a lesser extent by Manchester City and Chelsea – is to buy everyone else's best players, which means that the clubs who are preyed upon have to be smarter.

Spurs are the best example of how a club can lose their supposed best players and, through intelligent reinvestment, emerge stronger. It was perceived as a weakness when they sold Michael Carrick to United in 2006. Carrick probably would not make the Spurs first XI now. They sold Berbatov two years later but they are scarcely worse off for it.

Losing Torres to Chelsea would be a blow to Liverpool's esteem and should it happen before Monday, the prospect of him playing for Chelsea next Sunday would give one of the club's favourite sons the sourest of departures. But it would not be the disaster so many have predicted.

In the short-term Liverpool have already signed Luis Suarez as a replacement and, if Daniel Sturridge is part of the deal, he at least gives Dalglish another option in attack. There are still major doubts about Sturridge but he is young enough to learn and, at the very worst, he has re-sale value if he does not work out.

Torres' time was nice while it lasted. But £35m for a 26-year-old who has had barely a handful of decent games all season and was overshadowed at the World Cup finals last year is a good deal – however painful it might feel to Liverpool today.

As a public relations exercise, selling your marquee name to a rival is always difficult to pull off. It requires decisive leadership and the unwavering belief that you have the right transfer strategy. Of course, Liverpool have done it once before. In 1977 they sold Kevin Keegan, then arguably Europe's best striker, to Hamburg. The young man who came from Celtic to replace him, as most fans can tell you, did not do too badly.[/i]

That's my fear, he hasn't signed yet. He could just think, 'Fuck it, not going now' and we're up shit street.

This is what worries me, there's been no pen to paper yet but i think the player wants to sign for us not based on just 1 player. Plus he may see it as a opportunity to be the main man up front for us.

Fuck him. This is Liverpool. Liverpool FC. The club that every other club he has ever known has aspired to be. He'll never feel the same emotions when he goes elsewhere. He could have had it all. Because this is Liverpool. And as sure as my blood is red and my heart pumps strong we will win again. We will rise from where we are now in the depths of despair and conquer the world.

Because we are Liverpool FC.

He could have had it all.

He could have been up there with Dalglish..

Fuck him

They both are footballers. I see no difference.

we gave Owen everything, brought him through made him european player of the year, helped him through all his injuries, he then strings us along saying he is on the verge of a new deal then fucks off giving us no choice on the transfer fee

We bought Torres for 20million, we have had far more than 20million pounds service from him, he's the worlds best striker playing in what for the last 2 seasons has been a fucking shite team and if he does go we should get £40million plus for him and we still have the option to keep him if we wish.

My only complaint with Torres is the timing, he could've done it last summer when we had the 3 monsters that were Hodgson, Gillet and Hicks at the club and going nowhere, now we have a club legend and one of the greats of the game as well as some hopefully decent owners yet he decides to go, I'd have even understood had he done it 4 weeks ago as no-one in their right mind would want to play under Hodgson but now is ridiculous

if he does go through with it i'll be indifferent towards him, as for Owen I hate the fucking cunt

Clubs still in the Champions League can, from January, register ONE player that has already played in Europe for another club that same season. In 2009, Real Madrid signed both Diarra (played for Portsmouth) and Huntelaar (played for Ajax), and could only register one of them to their Champions League squad. They chose Lass, and we bummed them silly. For some reason, Europa League teams can't register a player if that player's previous club is also still in the Europa League, be it from the season start or from finishing 3rd in their Champions League group. That's why we couldn't register Maxi last season.

Balls

Clubs still in the Champions League can, from January, register ONE player that has already played in the Europa League for another club that same season. In 2009, Real Madrid signed both Diarra (played for Portsmouth) and Huntelaar (played for Ajax), and could only register one of them to their Champions League squad. They chose Lass, and we bummed them silly.

They tried to register both as well and went to court, the cunts.

This is looking a lot like the Stevie G Chelsea thing, and we all know how that turned out.

Keep the faith Fernando is a spot on guy and wouldn't fuck us over, let's stop calling him for all sorts and show a little decorum...

I'm going to put my neck out and say he's not going anywhere and a lot of what has been reported is sensationalised media nonsense.