You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Giving up crisps for a month

grazywalker

Did you know, if you eat a packet of crisp a day for one year, you will eat the equivalent of 5 liters of cooking oil \ fat which they are cooked with? And I wonder where that goes?

That's why I gave up eating a packet a day with me lunch!

Why don't you give up putting oil in your car as well and see how much better you feel.

I'm a traditionalist, Tayto cheese and onion makes a sandwich into a banquet.

I know a lad who had a stroke at 41. They reckon it was because he used to eat about 8 packs of crisps a day and they are full of saturated fat.

Pfft. Doctors.

No matter what's wrong with you it's always the same answer with them boys: "Give up the drink and the drugs and the fags and all food that isn't a raw vegetable, run around the block for hours and come back next month. Fifty quid please"

Well I'm 42 now and not dead, proof that doctors spend their spare time sending emails from Nigerian addresses.

Crisps do very little for me. I have a sweet tooth for biscuits (and a pretty severe Jaffa cake addiction) but very rarely take an interest in crisps. They are a massive rip-off too; eight crisps in a big bag and you're charging me 60p for this shit? Fuck you!

Can't be having this bollocks.

The best 2 inventions of the 20th century ?

Light bulb ? Telephone ? Internet ? Internal combustion engine ?

Nah, SHITE the lot of them. Give me the cats eye and the crisp any day.

sainsbury's be good to yourself crisps are sound. not sure why you need to 'give up' crisps, maybe just choose a healthier brand?

Cassava? Eugh!

If you're going for cassava, you want the proper stuff, not the impostor in that photo. Proper cassava chips are gorgeous.

If you're going for cassava, you want the proper stuff, not the impostor in that photo. Proper cassava chips are gorgeous.

Not actually tried the cassava ones but thats the only pic of the range i could find. The general crisps from the range are quite nice, like those poppadum crisps you used to be able to get.

Care to enlighten me as to what cassava crisps are?

Care to enlighten me as to what cassava crisps are?

Crisps/chips made from Cassava.

cassavachips.jpg

Chifles-Cassava.jpg

They contain a lot less fat that regular crisps, and are much crispier too. You can even buy them unsalted, and unlike regular crisps, they taste great like that too.

They contain a lot less fat that regular crisps, and are much crispier too. You can even buy them unsalted, and unlike regular crisps, they taste great like that too.

Cheers mate. I love crisps but only the quality or low fat ones and I avoid MSG like the plague and shit loads of crisps have it in. Fucking love kettle chips but still not very healthy. I'll have a mooch for cassava chips.

My sympathies, dear brother. I'm giving up too, which I will find very very hard. All junk is out. However, i am better swayed by my recent correspondence (genuinely - I love crisps) with the makers of these beautiful little mouth-fuckers:

0000016659.jpg

They said that their market research indicated that these kinds of snacks were not very popular in the UK, and therefore stopped supplying them in the mid-2000's. I've been searching for them for the past 5 years, to no avail. Now i know why. This, combined with my xmas excesses, have swayed me toward a crispless life. For the meantime at least.

cassavachips.jpg

Chifles-Cassava.jpg

Whenever I have tried them, they tasted like mouldy toe nail clippings. In a bad way.