You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

André Villas Boas (Manager)

Roger Hunt

This is a genuine question, as I'm curious - regardless of how the King does next season, if Guardiola, as expected, becomes available next summer, and for a variety of reasons LFC would appeal to him; anyone want FSG to consider him as an option and not miss out on him to another PL club?

Even if Kenny wins the league?

That's not really relevant is it? You could have asked exactly the same question about Mourinho when he came here, and he fucking bossed it from Day One.

Not sure I get what you mean. Which question?

I am just unsure of how many people rate Boas so highly have actually seen so much of him. And to be fair, Maureen won the CL. Boas hasn't. I am sure he s a good manager, but when people want him over kenny I think it is fair to ask how much they actually know about him.

This is a genuine question, as I'm curious - regardless of how the King does next season, if Guardiola, as expected, becomes available next summer, and for a variety of reasons LFC would appeal to him; anyone want FSG to consider him as an option and not miss out on him to another PL club?

Why would we want Pep here when Kenny has just landed no. 19?

It rather does depend on how Kenny does next season, doesn't it?

I know it's controversial, but I meant regardless of how well Kenny does next season, due to Guardiola's standing in the game, what he has achieved in his short career as manager, his tactical nous, and clamor from other PL club's, perhaps, most notably Man U, for his services; and how much further Guardiola (possibly) could elevate LFC?

Just a lighthearted Q, that's all.

I know it's controversial, but I meant regardless of how well Kenny does next season, due to Guardiola's standing in the game, what he has achieved in his short career as manager, his tactical nous, and clamor from other PL club's, perhaps, most notably Man U, for his services?

Just a lighthearted Q.

You weren't around when Kenny was manager last time were you?

Not me. I'd prefer to win the title.

I think Kenny would as well. He's always said that if there was someone better for the job out there he would step aside. Not that I would expect him to resign or anything, but he will always put the club first.

It's not a scenario that I think we'll have to contemplate though as I think we'll be fucking awesome next season.

You weren't around when Kenny was manager last time were you?

I was only a kid, but am pretty familiar with the type of football we played under him (best ever seen on these shores) and how his team, specifically, 87-88 is lauded by educated neutrals. Although, something also highlighted by ex players of that era, we only finished with the league title that year (I know sounds ridiculous in the current circumstances!).

I was only a kid, but am pretty familiar with the type of football we played under him (best ever seen on these shores) and how his team, specifically, 87-88 is lauded by educated neutrals. Although, something also highlighted by ex players of that era, we only finished with the league title that year (I know sounds ridiculous in the current circumstances!).

He was unfortunate to not win the double in 88 and 89. He was a penalty miss and a last minute goal away from doing that.

He was unfortunate to not win the double in 88 and 89. He was a penalty miss and a last minute goal away from doing that.

I'm aware of that mate, but it's the trophies you have to show at the end of the season that counts; and I was only repeating what the players of that era [87-88] have said themselves.

*I didn't consider 89 season due to the tragic circumstances...Obviously football/winning and judging anyone was pretty irrelevant and moot.

If Chlesea get AVB, I'm wondering if they would try to entice Steve Clarke as they have a good relationship?

He's just signed a three year contract. AVB will make the league interesting. Let's give Kenny a season at least.

There shouldn't be a need for ifs and buts; he's not even had one full season yet.

He's just signed a three year contract. AVB will make the league interesting. Let's give Kenny a season at least.

There shouldn't be a need for ifs and buts; he's not even had one full season yet.

I don;t think anybody on Earth doesn't think Kenny should be given at the very least one season!

So irrespective of wether Kenny wins the league you'd bin him for Guardiola?

Hmmm....personally, I'd want someone who'd give us the best chance to keep on winning leagues, season after season (not just no19, but 20, 25 etc). So, I would "consider" this as an option even if Kenny won the league because I think Guardiola is a more talented manager than Kenny. However, I wouldn't necessarily be intent or set on this because I don't know for sure how Guardiola would adapt and settle in the PL, and, hence, that he'd necessarily be a better option than Kenny.

However, as Guardiola is a very open-minded and intelligent person, has a keen interest in languages and cultures; and from what I have heard and read about him, if he was planning on coming to the PL, he has the sort of mindset and thirst for knowledge, that would've enabled him to already have a good understanding of the PL and the strengths and weaknesses of the teams in it; I think he would be a success in the PL.

So, I would be "open" to the idea of appointing Guardiola as manager even if Kenny wins the league, as I feel Guardiola can take us to greater heights than Kenny.

I know it sounds harsh - and I love Kenny and winning no19 under him would be more special and emotional than anyone else, especially to see his beaming smile - but, I would want a manager who gives LFC the best chance to maximise our potential, win as much as possible/available, for a sustained period.

Personally, I don't think Kenny is that man.

But I hope and would be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

Does this mean you're not going to wait until our business is concluded before making a judgment?

Repped LOL

Your obviously right but if he joins we will need to sign the likes of Sanchez, Modric, Sanchez and Hazard to have any chance.

Putting the best players with the best coach is a recipe for huge success.

Villas Boas is a proven winner with a great CV to boot and I am sure he will be a huge success.

I am obviously making an assumption that he is going to be getting the best quality players available to go with what he already has.

I think he'll make a lot of people on here look very silly, those who guffawed at the suggestion of hiring a manager so young(before Kenny was even appointed).

On Pep, he's probably the only coach in the World that you might make an exception for, but even then it would only be if Kenny say, fails to get fourth after a Summer of heavy spending.

Hmmm....personally, I'd want someone who'd give us the best chance to keep on winning leagues, season after season (not just no19, but 20, 25 etc). So, I would "consider" this as an option even if Kenny won the league because I think Guardiola is a more talented manager than Kenny. However, I wouldn't necessarily be intent or set on this because I don't know for sure how Guardiola would adapt and settle in the PL, and, hence, that he'd necessarily be a better option than Kenny.

However, as Guardiola is a very open-minded and intelligent person, has a keen interest in languages and cultures; and from what I have heard and read about him, if he was planning on coming to the PL, he has the sort of mindset and thirst for knowledge, that would've enabled him to already have a good understanding of the PL and the strengths and weaknesses of the teams in it; I think he would be a success in the PL.

So, I would be "open" to the idea of appointing Guardiola as manager even if Kenny wins the league, as I feel Guardiola can take us to greater heights than Kenny.

I know it sounds harsh - and I love Kenny and winning no19 under him would be more special and emotional than anyone else, especially to see his beaming smile - but, I would want a manager who gives LFC the best chance to maximise our potential, win as much as possible/available, for a sustained period.

Personally, I don't think Kenny is that man.

But I hope and would be delighted if I'm proved wrong.

So you get rid of your PL winning manager get Pep in and after a year he decides he doesnt want to live in England anymore or has a nervous breakdown. or more realistically cant continue Kenny's success due to the other teams having better resources.

The time to make a major appointment was this season and the club have already done that even if it wasnt their preferred choice when they first gave Kenny the job

The main thing I don't get about Hugo's argument here is what makes him think Villas Boas is more likely to achieve success with us than Dalglish. He might become a fantastic manager, he's had a very promising start to his career, but he's not proven it yet, and we've got Kenny who we know is a great manager, as well as a Liverpool Legend.

As has been said, the long-term argument doesn't make sense either, as Dalglish is much more likely to stay with us for many years to come, his head certainly won't be turned by another club.

Also, I find the notion that anybody would replace Kenny with a new manager, even if we win the league, a bit absurd.

In different circumstances I'd love Pep or Villas Boas here, but we've got Dalglish, who's done brilliantly so far, so I'm not too worried where other managers go.

I don;t think anybody on Earth doesn't think Kenny should be given at the very least one season!

I just find these questions pointless especially bringing Pep in as a replacement as he's been quoted as saying he likes different projects. But then I suppose we wouldn't have anything to talk about.

So you get rid of your PL winning manager get Pep in and after a year he decides he doesnt want to live in England anymore or has a nervous breakdown. or more realistically cant continue Kenny's success due to the other teams having better resources.

The time to make a major appointment was this season and the club have already done that even if it wasnt their preferred choice when they first gave Kenny the job

Blimey man, that's like someone arguing what if Kenny suffers a heart attack, suffers from a stroke or something!

In that case, why bother signing any foreign players, why not just stick to the British ones?

I agree, this summer was the time to make a new appointment, be it Kenny or someone else. I would've given it to AVB ahead of anyone else.

But, when someone of the calibre of Guardiola becomes available, I would, at least, look at that option.