You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we install a Director of Football?

myrlas

A experienced football guy who can mainly focus on the clubs strategic thinking. Like Arnesen now at Chelsea. Like Dein used to do at Arsenal. Like Uli Hoeness at Bayern.

In my opinion we need to.

Get in a Chief Executive who is good with strategic thinking, who has a good network, is good with people, who can do the numbers and the decisions based on the vitals.

Then get in a Director of Football who together with the board decide for a long term strategy for the club. What should Liverpool be? On and off the pitch? A strategy the club and the fans agree on. The Liverpool Way 2011-2025 edition if you like.

THEN, we find the best suited manager and the best suited players to fill the roles needed to try to live up to the strategy.

No more total managerial control. It's not healthy for anyone.

The Manager should know what is expected of him when he signs a contract. He shold be told by the Director of Football.

On top of my head this would be the perfect role for Kenny.

Now is the time to build an organization for the future. I'm pretty confident that NESV has their plans ready.

I hope it involves a role we don't have at the club today.

What do you think?

I'm not sure.

I like to see clear defined roles and I think a director of football and a manager might step on each others toes, personally.

It can work, but then again if these two don't see eye to eye on everything it could cause friction and problems.

I'd rather we had a chief executive - and my preference would be Broughton, if he could be persuaded to stay full time. Then a board comprising of ex players such as Dalglish, Hansen, Thompson types and also some shrewd business people which hopefully are the NESV expertise in marketing etc.

I want to see harmony from the top of the club, defined roles and solid, stable foundations where everyone is signing off the same hymn sheet.

I think Dalglish has a role, but I'm not sure a director of football is the way to go. Sound great in theory but in practice I'm not convinced.

MAnager should have the final saying in the team set up.

DoF should definately have a say in players scouted for and finally bought (ref buying players who fit into the club strategy)

If this model is implemented correctly ther shouldn't be that much conflict between managers and DoF. They hire a managertype who fits the idea and likes the idea. Not a fella who believes 100% in his own abilities as manager/scout and wants total control of everything.

I totally agree. There was a time, on here, where I considered it Rebel23 madness but with the right man it would be hugely effective. There is too much money, in my view, in the game for it to be spent by one man who may not have the club's long-term interests in mind.

I'm also with you on the responsibilities of the manager - we've seen the effects, pretty strikingly, on the last three managers and already on this one - the job is too big as it is. In my view, it's no coincidence that all our recent managers look utterly deflated at the end of their reigns. I think that also accounts for their bizzare decision-making, too.

DofF has overall vision for the club and has input into manager that we take on

DofF then pulls together all the scouting reports for players and makes recommendation on individuals, position to target, age of player erc. to the manager who also has a say. The difference being it's the DofF project and he is there for the long term

That's my very limited view of how it works. The DofF role is employed in countries with high managerial turnovers so that their is consistency to the clubs approach. Having someone covering that role for us could be very beneficial as long as it's the right person

I remember somebody at Spurs saying that it only works if the DoF actually suggests the manager or vice versa ie they come as a team , but if they are brought in separately in an attempt at a 'dream team' pairing then demarcation disputes are inevitable.

I would only envisage it if we were contemplating a young, inexperienced manager as the way forward & installed Kenny as DoF and gave him the choice of the manager.

King Kenny would be perfect for the role

The quallity of the players signed would be down the DoF ie the manager would have to convince the DoF of the players

The manager would be judged on the pitch and DoF would be judged on the overall success mainly on the quality and value of the players he has signed

Basically the DoF picks the manager so the manager should be grateful to Kenny that he chose him.

Dunno really. Guess because we don't really know who the good DOF's are, do we? I like the idea of one though.

Managers come and go so often these days, that bringing in someone, and giving them complete control is a massive risk. As you're affectively starting from scratch each time. Better to have someone overseeing, and working closely with the manager, who'll still be around should you change coaches. But shouldn't that be the way anyway? Do Barca have a DOF? Do Arsenal? Maybe they do, but if they don't, I'm fairly certain that if Wenger or Guardiola were to leave tomorrow, the club would keep ticking along nicely.

Director of football, strategic thinking... , fuck me the just as the optimism over getting rid of the two fucks sets in you get fuckwits going on about this crap, what did Paisley say, something like footballs a simple game complicated by divvys.