You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Team for Blackpool [and beyond....]

Wor Horse

I know it's longer than a week away but I'll start this early, what team would you like to see against Blackpool?

Personally i'd go for 4-1-3-2. If you watch Arsenal when they attack they're constantly opening the doors of the other teams defence so quickly even they don't know which door they're eventually going to choose, there's countless runners going in all directions and the goals they score and the chances they create are brilliant. Just a shame under Roy our gameplan seems to be hitting a pull door with one of them massive twats the police use to force doors through.

If one (I'm not even sure what that one way of playing is as we don't seem to have any, just wait until the second half and then panic it seems) doesn't work, that's it, we're fucked. If one of Arsenal's or any other attacking team's routes get shut off, they simply open a new one. We've got nothing else.

(That door analogy is shit)

But anyway with Poulsen and one other in the middle of the park and only Torres ahead of them we won't create anything, we've had 6 games now of fuck all, literally fuck all. We just don't create ANYTHING. Which is simply down to Torres being deployed in the Zamora role, he can't hold it up, he's not that type of player, you play him in down the lines, don't expect him to hold it up and take the kicks to wait for Stevie to support him because he will become fucked off and he'll end up getting even more isolated and will pick up even more pointless yellow cards which will do no one any favours.

I think if you go with this formation then you'll at least be creating more chances which will AT LEAST better the shite we're being served up now.

Reina - Obviously

Kelly - Johnson needs a kick up the arse, young Martin is showing promise, give him a go. Glen isn't warranted a starting place so Kelly should get the chance. He's arguably a better defender.

Kyriagos- If Roy is INSISTING on setting us up to play how Fulham played then we're going to need a defender who can actually dominate in the air, he's shown this every time he's played for us. He might not be the prettiest player but he owns the air every time he plays. Made mincemeat out of Kevin Davies and coped at Stoke when he played last season. Sick of Skrtel who just seems to go backwards every time he plays, both as a player and literally, closer and closer to his own box.

Agger - He needs a chance. Like Glen I don't think Carragher is a sure fire starter, he's began the season poorly by his own standards. Carragher is alright next to a domineering player like Sami but next to Skrtel his frailties are made even more obvious. Agger has waited long enough, he's done well at left back so needs to play in his favoured position.

Aurelio - If he's fit. If he's not then Kelly at left back and Johnson back I suppose. Or Agger at left back and Carra back in. Fucking glassman.

Poulsen - The team's set up and has been for a while to have at least one holding midfielder so I think it would do more damage to change it completely now. He's not been that bad a player anyway apart from his disastrous penalty incident today. Was probably our best player at OT last week, well one of the best.

Meireles, Gerrard & Cole - Just ahead of Poulsen and behind the front two, constantly interchanging and linking up. Rough positions would be Moaty on the right, Gerrard central and Cole left but all mainly central. Playing down the wing clearly doesn't work as we haven't played well in months now with 'wide' players. I think lesser teams at home won't be able to deal with the movement and technique of these 3, especially Cole as he seems to have started well when played in a central position. You're also giving much more support to Torres up front and he'll be far less isolated. If god forbid, we're under the cosh against BLACKPOOL then Gerrard or Raul can drop back next to Poulsen for the time being and it can go into a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. The good thing about the 3 players is Cole can play well wide left and Meireles can cope on the right so it's no real burden, I wouldn't start them outwide though as today proved.

Torres & Kuyt

Fucking sick to the back teeth seeing a player of Nando's ability being fed the scraps he is, he's constantly isolated, not scoring, getting fucked off. Time to play to his strengths. The 3 behind will give him support. There's nothing more that really needs to be said about Torres though as everyone knows if you play to his strengths he'll get you 20 a season. I think Kuyt's a far better player than I and others give him credit for, I genuinely believe he'd get you 20 a season if started up front, he's got that goal scorer's instinct, the amount of tap ins he gets is unreal. Let Torres, Cole, Gerrard and Meireles do the skill and shit and Dirk will run for you all game and then tap it in.

Team for Blackpool [H]

------------------------Reina-----------------------

----------------------------------------------------

-----Kelly-------Kyrigakos------Agger-----Aurelio----

-----------------------Poulsen----------------------

------------Meireles----Gerrard----Cole--------------

---------------Torres------------Kuyt---------------

That team should beat Black fucking Pool. 11 Internationals out there. We're Liverpool, Roy, you need to remember that and start telling the players to get out there and twat teams, inviting pressure is shite.

Blackpool like to play football so get at them on the off and get it won within 20 minutes, then fuck about and be negative in the second half to your hearts content, sitting off these will be disastrous in my opinion.

We definitely need a change (crazy saying that in September but it's true), whether it would work or not is anyone's guess but I think it would. The players are far more suited to it than whatever shite formation we're playing now. We don't have Alonso and Mascherano any more to make our 4-2-3-1 formation work, again, time for a change!

It won't be though, I think Roy will go with what we've seen already this season and I can honestly see us losing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't mind seeing either of these line ups

----------------Reina

Kelly-----Skrtel------Agger-----Konchesky/Aurellio

Gerrard---Poulson---Meireles----Cole

------------Kuyt----Torres

----------------Reina

-------Skrtel----Carra----Agger

Johnson-------------------------Aurellio

-------Meireles---Poulson--Gerrard

-------------Kuyt-----Torres

I don't want to see Johnson playing right back ever again. A fucking liability

Reina

Johnson

Carragher

Agger

Konchesky

Kuyt

Meireles

Gerrard

Cole

Torres

Jovanovic/Ngog

I think Kuyt is the only player we have that gives width on the right so has to play there. I'd like to see Jovanovic play upfront as he spent alot of time there for Standard and has a good goal record

Agger and Meireles are very good passers of the ball and I think our two biggest problems at the minute are team shape and being able to select and play the right passes. I reckon that team gives good shape and the best passers of the ball

Reina

Johnson

Carragher

Agger

Konchesky

Kuyt

Meireles

Gerrard

Cole

Torres

Jovanovic/Ngog

I think Kuyt is the only player we have that gives width on the right so has to play there. I'd like to see Jovanovic play upfront as he spent alot of time there for Standard and has a good goal record

Agger and Meireles are very good passers of the ball and I think our two biggest problems at the minute are team shape and being able to select and play the right passes. I reckon that team gives good shape and the best passers of the ball

Konchesky strained his hamstring today, be out for Thursday and Sunday.

I think that we lack quality in the wide areas, so I would consider using a 3-5-2 formation in the short-term with Johnson and Konchesky (if fit) providing the width. I would like to see Martin Kelly brought in to play in a back 3 alongside Carragher and Agger, with Gerrard alongside Meireles in centre midfield with Cole playing in the hole behind a front 2 of Kuyt and Torres.

Reina

Kelly

Carragher

Agger

Johnson

Meireles

Gerrard

Cole

Konchesky

Kuyt

Torres

Guest PurpleNose

Like your back four, NWT. It would be my first choice as well.

Reina

Kelly Greek Agger Aurelio

Lucas/Poulsen

Maxi Gerrard Meireles Cole

Torres

Something like that.

I'm not sure Torres needs a partner upfront. If we played with one holding midfielder, rather than two, then more players would be closer to him anyway. 4-2-3-1 can only work if one of the holding players is a proper deep lying playmaker. No combination of either Poulsen, Lucas, Gerrard or Meireles will make this work.

I'm not too bothered about creating more width. We don't have a team full of players good at heading the ball. Nor do I particularly want to play that style of football.

With those five in midfield we should be capable of keeping the ball in tight areas high up the pitch.

The problem last season in possession was that we were more than capable in our own half, but it wasn't actually contributing to our attacks. We finished games with possession stats of 65% but often weren't the better side.

I'm convinced that if we try to play a possession game, high up the pitch, we'll do far better than what appears to be the current plan. We don't have a lot of pace or aerial ability in the squad. So trying to play on the break or route one doesn't seem wise. In Cole, Meireles, Pacheco, Maxi and Gerrard we have players with good technical ability. Certainly relative to our league. We're not utilising our squad to the best of its abilities.

Everything I've heard about Blackpool makes it seem like they're tailored for us. Having said that, given our lack of confidence, we may shit ourselves. I think it will be very interesting.

I'm also not ashamed to say that if it adds to the protest numbers - 1/4 of fans staying behind today is no small thing - I hope we get beat.

Left back's looking like a problem for this one. If Konchesky has strained his hamstring then that's a couple of weeks he's looking at. No idea when Aurelio might be back as his injury was never really reported. Hodgson said this yesterday in relation to today's game:

"Kuyt is the only one we have a slight reservation about but we'll see if he makes it. Therefore the only serious injury situation is Fabio Aurelio."

I really don't know whether changing the team is going to make that much of a difference to us at the moment, but I think Kelly deserves a run as Johnson is looking awful.

Hodgson must get 4-5-1 out of his head; as it is only good for games such as City, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Playing a holding midfielder at HOME against the likes of WBA and Sunderland is nothing short of CRIMINAL. No disrespect intended for these clubs but if we played an open game against these types of teams we should win the vast majority of them, a point is just not good enough!! Its better to win 2 and lose 1 then to win 1 and draw 2. We have to play 4-4-2 against Blackpool next if Hodgson has any common sense left; this is the team i'd play: Reina, Johnson, Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Maxi, Gerrard, Meireles, Cole, Torres, Kuyt. If we had played this today I am more then confident we would of strolled to victory.

Hodgson must get 4-5-1 out of his head; as it is only good for games such as City, Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. Playing a holding midfielder at HOME against the likes of WBA and Sunderland is nothing short of CRIMINAL. No disrespect intended for these clubs but if we played an open game against these types of teams we should win the vast majority of them, a point is just not good enough!! Its better to win 2 and lose 1 then to win 1 and draw 2. We have to play 4-4-2 against Blackpool next if Hodgson has any common sense left; this is the team i'd play: Reina, Johnson, Carra, Skrtel, Agger, Maxi, Gerrard, Meireles, Cole, Torres, Kuyt. If we had played this today I am more then confident we would of strolled to victory.

I presume you weren't at the game either today and have just watched the highlights on MOTD? We played 442 today.