You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool and Utd Rivalry

Red Nick

I watched a great little program today it was about the two greatest teams ever LFC and Man Utd and the rivalry behind them.

Steven Gerrard was there and pointing out all the previous managers and in his words "This is the King the greatest player ever to wear the Liverpool shirt"

However there was a point made by Paddy Crerand that he never understood where all this bitterness came from between Man Utd and LFC and in his days because of the Matt Busby and Bill Shankly connection if Utd couldnt win something they wanted Liverpool to win it and Visa versa.

Basically the program was saying it really started because LFC fans couldnt handle that Man Utd were a more glamorous (or egotistical club) than LFC and the fact Manu would get more press coverage than LFC even when they were winning things and the whole bitterness and rivalry started from there.

It was a very balanced documentry with both sides giving there view.

Any opinions on this.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a great little program today it was about the two greatest teams ever LFC and Man Utd and the rivalry behind them.

Basically the program was saying it really started because LFC fans couldnt handle that Man Utd were a more glamorous (or egotistical club) than LFC and the fact Manu would get more press coverage than LFC even when they were winning things and the whole bitterness and rivalry started from there.

Any opinions on this.

There is a degree of truth to the press coverage, but I don't think it was because we couldn't handle anything.

My first football game was lost against them, later my first Liverpool game was lost against them. I've hated them ever since. The regular defeats we suffered to them throughout the 80's didn't help matters. Add that to the fact that half of this country supports them, and the media treats them as a local side, fuels my hatred of them more. Their exit to Bayern last year was described by the Irish CL presenters as a "sad night". Then of course, there's the oppression we've all endured as fans since 1993.

And a tonne of other assorted reasons.

However there was a point made by Paddy Crerand that he never understood where all this bitterness came from between Man Utd and LFC and in his days because of the Matt Busby and Bill Shankly connection if Utd couldnt win something they wanted Liverpool to win it and Visa versa.

Total bollocks. My dad was going there in the 60's and he says the bitterness and hatred started then. Liverpool fans used to be all over Old Trafford including the Stretford End until Busby made the games all ticket.

The hatred was there when they were relegated, they weren't so "glamourous" then. I've experienced it myself since the mid-70's, I've never experienced the same hatred at any other ground including Goodison.

They can't live with the fact that despite the media love in Liverpool are still England's most successful club.

I hate them with a passion. I'm not unique because I know that I am just one of many.

Was doing some training in Skem last week and there was an old fella about 60 odd doing instructing. He was a sound arl fella like, proper Manc and that, sound to have a talk to though.

Someone said something to him like "Bet you'll be made up if we get turned over tonight?" Regarding the Steau game. He said "Will I fuck, if any North West teams playing I want them all to win, the I'd sooner Northern teams won all the trophies above Southern teams."

He was of the opinion that the North/South divide was of more importance in his time and was still relevant to him today.

Andyrac is spot on the gulf in class is huge who can ever forget Andy Durso getting virtually lynched for having the gaul to give a penalty against them at the theatre of wet dreams , the 1st one in 10 yrs if im not mistaken ,then old ginsoak sayin we dont want that referee coming here again because he had'nt given those twats another dubious penalty i could go on jesus theres loads but yeh i just fuckin detest the arrogant cunts

They're a disgusting hypocritical club. The inbred fuckers who support them (not all United fans are complete cunts but the majority are.) are sewer dwelling evil bastards. The players and staff are shitehawks of the highest degree.

The whole fucking club is rotten to the core IMO.

The main thing that sticks in my throat with the "fans" is how they happily sing about Hillsborough and Heysel, and yet will squeal like a bitch when they're faced with Munich chants. Evil hypocritical twats.

I'm not jealous of their recent success. We're currently still England's most successful club and probably the only top-flight club that carries itself with dignity and humility which is why a few years ago we were rated as everybody's favourite second club. There's a special kind of magic about Liverpool Football Club, well maybe not in the last 3 years but certainly the way we went about our business has to be admired.

All Manchester United is related to with most football fans in all reality is extended injury time, referee intimidation, violent fans, a bullying manager, whinging players and an incredibly biased media coverage.

There is a degree of truth to the press coverage, but I don't think it was because we couldn't handle anything.

My first football game was lost against them, later my first Liverpool game was lost against them. I've hated them ever since. The regular defeats we suffered to them throughout the 80's didn't help matters. Add that to the fact that half of this country supports them, and the media treats them as a local side, fuels my hatred of them more. Their exit to Bayern last year was described by the Irish CL presenters as a "sad night". Then of course, there's the oppression we've all endured as fans since 1993.

And a tonne of other assorted reasons.

re: the 'local side' thing, im not Irish but ive seen some of that Irish football show on youtube, and you would think that English teams are Irish and all the other european teams are foreigners, its weird

They're a disgusting hypocritical club. The inbred fuckers who support them (not all United fans are complete cunts but the majority are.) are sewer dwelling evil bastards. The players and staff are shitehawks of the highest degree.

The whole fucking club is rotten to the core IMO.

The main thing that sticks in my throat with the "fans" is how they happily sing about Hillsborough and Heysel, and yet will squeal like a bitch when they're faced with Munich chants. Evil hypocritical twats.

I'm not jealous of their recent success. We're currently still England's most successful club and probably the only top-flight club that carries itself with dignity and humility which is why a few years ago we were rated as everybody's favourite second club. There's a special kind of magic about Liverpool Football Club, well maybe not in the last 3 years but certainly the way we went about our business has to be admired.

All Manchester United is related to with most football fans in all reality is extended injury time, referee intimidation, violent fans, a bullying manager, whinging players and an incredibly biased media coverage.

To be honest while it is tit for tat the whole Munich/Hillsborough/Heysel thing.

We are hardly in a position of morality after abusing Ben Foster who played about ten games for them with a Munich chant last week as he took goal in front of our fans. Surprise surprise, not a peep anywhere about that.

They may look at it like we gave them shit for years over Munich before Hillsborough/Heysel. Hence their regular airings of ''Wheres your famous Munich song after Hillsborough''. The people who sing that don't give a fuck about the people who died at Munich and use it as a form of pointscoring but we still sing Munich as much as they sing Hillsborough/Heysel songs.

I think we blow smoke up our own arses a little too much at times and that post sums that up in a nutshell really. Mask our own shite while highlighting theirs. They will be guilty of doing the same thing of course. As I say it is tit for tat on both sides nowadays and we are just as hypocritical as them.

To be honest while it is tit for tat the whole Munich/Hillsborough/Heysel thing.

We are hardly in a position of morality after abusing Ben Foster who played about ten games for them with a Munich chant last week as he took goal in front of our fans. Surprise surprise, not a peep anywhere about that.

They may look at it like we gave them shit for years over Munich before Hillsborough/Heysel. Hence their regular airings of ''Wheres your famous Munich song after Hillsborough''. The people who sing that don't give a fuck about the people who died at Munich and use it as a form of pointscoring but we still sing Munich as much as they sing Hillsborough/Heysel songs.

I think we blow smoke up our own arses a little too much at times and that post sums that up in a nutshell really. Mask our own shite while highlighting theirs. They will be guilty of doing the same thing of course. As I say it is tit for tat on both sides nowadays and we are just as hypocritical as them.

Good post JG. Agree with it all.

We can hate them by all means, but lets not be hypocrites.

Thats a top post JG.

As you said the whole Hillsborough/Heysel/Munich thing seems to be just tit for tat. I myself will never stoop to that level to sing any Munich songs. I do know there is a section of our fan base who are dickheads and will follow the minority. My main point is that the media pick up on Munich chants a lot quicker than the Heysel chants.

Mancs aren't exactly saints when it comes the deaths of football fans. I'm sure they've been involved in quite a few, but I may be wrong and it doesn't go to justify how wrong they are for the Murderers shite they sling at us.