You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My New iMac

Alan Sex

Just bought my first Apple computer. Like the look of it so far - much more user friendly than the old pc!

So, any Mac users out there - what are some programs that I need, essential stuff and torrent/rapidshare type stuff that work on the Mac?

Cheers,

Sexy

All Mac sw updates etc is here: Mac - Free Mac software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

Enjoy it. Don't know what you are looking at doing with it, but iMovie and iPhoto is streets ahead of anything you might find on the Win platform. If those kinds of things are what you are looking at doing.

All Mac sw updates etc is here: Mac - Free Mac software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com.

Enjoy it. Don't know what you are looking at doing with it, but iMovie and iPhoto is streets ahead of anything you might find on the Win platform. If those kinds of things are what you are looking at doing.

I believe they've just released a new piece of software in anticipation of Alan's switch to Macs. They're calling it iPerv.

Cool. Anything else on torrent stuff - like does Utorrent work on Mac? Do I need a program like zipeg for rapidshare files etc?

utorrent can be gotten from here: Download - µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client. Plenty of other clients around also. No, no need to download a separate program to unzip etc. That is part of the installed OS.

Firstly, Apple's in-built firewall for some ridiculous reason is not switched 'On' when shipped.

Go to: System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall to make sure you have it switched on, as it's all the security you're likely to need with the Mac.

Other software:

Transmission (for torrents): Transmission

VLC media player (to play any media files): VideoLAN - VLC media player for Mac OS X

Adium (for MSN/AIM/Skype): Adium - Download

Firstly, Apple's in-built firewall for some ridiculous reason is not switched 'On' when shipped.

Go to: System Preferences -> Security -> Firewall to make sure you have it switched on, as it's all the security you're likely to need with the Mac.

Other software:

Transmission (for torrents): Transmission

VLC media player (to play any media files): VideoLAN - VLC media player for Mac OS X

Adium (for MSN/AIM/Skype): Adium - Download

Why would it need to be switched on? Ever run a port scan of a Mac installed from scratch? Ports aren't enabled, not just blocked, but not enabled, so no need for the firewall to be turned on by default. Every option that opens a port is a conscious decision you as a user does. Installing a program, enabling a service etc. So this is a very fine implementation from a security standpoint.

• 9 months later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

If you download Perian, you'll be able to play just about any media format via VLC or QT (if you want QT to play .wmv via the browser, you'll need the flip4mac components). For torrents, then I'd only ever use Transmission. It's lightweight and pretty ace. Set the preferences to automatically recognise torrent files in your downloads folder and it'll start them automatically. If you're into rapidshare type stuff, from sites like warez-bb, then you'll want to get your hands on a full copy of Speed Download.

Just bought my first Apple computer. Like the look of it so far - much more user friendly than the old pc!

So, any Mac users out there - what are some programs that I need, essential stuff and torrent/rapidshare type stuff that work on the Mac?

Cheers,

Sexy

You can get the complete Office 2011 pack from btjunkie. It works without a hitch. You can also get the most recent version of ilife from the same site.

I use bittorrent for downloading - faultless.

I would never go back to a PC.

Not sure what you are looking for here Alan? Do you want to create your own DVD's, i.e. import your own footage, create your own DVd menus, subtitles etc.? If so, as part of iLife, you should have gotten a program called iDVD that lets you do exactly this. If you just want to rip a DVD and burn onto a different DVD, use handbrake and then just burn to DVD in the Finder. Or something different again? Then it might be a different program you will need.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Oh, I thought you meant music CDs. If you're looking for a digital video file (AVI, DIVX, MKV etc) to DVD which will then play on a normal DVD player, then what you want is VisualHub. It's now no longer being developed, but to the best of my knowledge there's nothing anywhere near as good out there.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, just use that visualhub link. You basically just select your file, click go and it'll convert and burn it.