You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

Thanks mate. I've generally had a bit of a snobbish attitude towards the FF and barely posted on here since the MF started, but then realised it's a bit cuntish of me given that it was the FF that first brought me to this place, so it's only right that despite the constant bickering and arguing, I still attempt to add something to it.

Yeah, a lot of you have disappeared into the MF. I think it's a pity because there are a lot of good posters who are missed. And there was no MF when I joined either, the fact that it was so open and you'd get some really well thought out posts and some really bizarre nonsensical posts in the same thread was pretty cool i thought.

Can't help thinking, from the outside looking in of course, that some of that quirkiness has been lost. And the fact that some of the new posters make some really good posts but are still all red is pretty disappointing as well.

It might be worth it for Dave to think about tweaking some of the gold privileges a bit, so that the newer guys aren't stuck on red.

The previous managers were not given time to prove us wrong though! They were given time because we were not sure what we had, two of them had not managed in the premiership aso we gave them time to adjust.

We know more or less what Roy is going to give us! And that is the crux of the problem at the moment. We are not basing our judgements on what he could do, but on what he has done, that is the problem.

Guess I didn't word it particularly well, should have to 'prove himself here', rather than 'prove us wrong'. We should be judging him on what he does when he's here, though. He was working under completely different circumstances at Fulham, so despite us all having our ideas of how it's going to pan out, it's difficult to say how well he will do as manager of Liverpool. If he was managing at a bigger, better club than Fulham, then I think you'd sort of have a point, but I think it's wrong to judge him there. He got the best out of the players at his disposal when he was there, but he didn't have players of anywhere near the quality that he has here.

EDIT: I'm coming accross as a big fan of Roy's here because I'm constantly defending him, when the truth is I still have serious reservations over certains aspects of his management. I just can't comprehend how rational, reasonable people are trying to make assumptions and predictions in mid September, especially given the difficult start we've had, and the fact that it's a World Cup year.

And yet, such glory was way beyond even the most optimistic Kopites' dreams when Shanks was appointed Liverpool's ninth manager on December 1, 1959.

As the final whistle blew on his first match in charge 18 days later the prospect of Shankly's Liverpool side, languishing in 10th place in Division Two, going on to one day boast a record of three First Division titles, one Division Two title, two FA Cups and One UEFA Cup must have seemed little more than a pipedream.

Even the greatest dont always get the start they want, but as the saying goes, "its a funny old game" give the man a chance for gods sake.

If we finish this season higher than 7th, then surely he isnt as bad as Rafa was in his last season? or is that being pedantic?

Played 4 won 1 drawn 2 lost 1, not quite a sacking just yet is it?

The problem we have is too many people wanting a quick fix to a problem which is far deeper than who the right manager should be, who is to say any manager could get the team to perform as we would want at the minute?

Rafa certainly couldnt last season, so why do we all suddenly think Roy can?

Give the man a chance, and start being what you all claim to be, and support our manager for fucks sake, instead of whinging that we are shite, we were shite when Shanks took over, but look what happened.

Here endeth the lesson.

Neg away

So give us something to cling on to - what is it that makes you so sure the he will be able to ditch 30 years of management mediocrity to suddenly produce Premiership Champions out of his current squad?

You're expecting any new manager to come in and turn us in to Premier League champions, even with the club in the current state it's in?

Madness. Complete and utter madness.

And yet, such glory was way beyond even the most optimistic Kopites' dreams when Shanks was appointed Liverpool's ninth manager on December 1, 1959.

As the final whistle blew on his first match in charge 18 days later the prospect of Shankly's Liverpool side, languishing in 10th place in Division Two, going on to one day boast a record of three First Division titles, one Division Two title, two FA Cups and One UEFA Cup must have seemed little more than a pipedream.

Even the greatest dont always get the start they want, but as the saying goes, "its a funny old game" give the man a chance for gods sake.

If we finish this season higher than 7th, then surely he isnt as bad as Rafa was in his last season? or is that being pedantic?

Played 4 won 1 drawn 2 lost 1, not quite a sacking just yet is it?

The problem we have is too many people wanting a quick fix to a problem which is far deeper than who the right manager should be, who is to say any manager could get the team to perform as we would want at the minute?

Rafa certainly couldnt last season, so why do we all suddenly think Roy can?

Give the man a chance, and start being what you all claim to be, and support our manager for fucks sake, instead of whinging that we are shite, we were shite when Shanks took over, but look what happened.

Here endeth the lesson.

Neg away

When he joined Liverpool Shankly wasn't 62 with a thirty-year managment career that has yielded no trophies in any worthwhile league, ever.

Yeah, a lot of you have disappeared into the MF. I think it's a pity because there are a lot of good posters who are missed. And there was no MF when I joined either, the fact that it was so open and you'd get some really well thought out posts and some really bizarre nonsensical posts in the same thread was pretty cool i thought.

Can't help thinking, from the outside looking in of course, that some of that quirkiness has been lost. And the fact that some of the new posters make some really good posts but are still all red is pretty disappointing as well.

It might be worth it for Dave to think about tweaking some of the gold privileges a bit, so that the newer guys aren't stuck on red.

Yep, agree with all of that. That's not to say that necessarily those with season tickets are the best posters on the site, as there are plenty of great posters on here who haven't donated, but over on the MF there's basically none of the constant name-calling or snide posts, and there's some great debate on all things football, so it's sort of like a safehaven from the manic, aggresive downward spiral that the FF has gone in recently. Well, I say recently, but it's been on a bit of a decline for a good 18 months.

I think a large proportion of TLW ST holders (I'm probably the worst given the frequency that I post) just basically turned their backs on here as we had somewhere else which was better to talk about things, and whilst I can't speak for all of them, I'll certainly be putting more of an effort in to restoring a bit of sanity and debate over here. I hope others do the same, too.

Because he's at the club, so like we've given those before him, we should give him time to prove us wrong. It's the way we normally do things at this club.

Sorry - just don't get it, Would you say that if Gordon Strachan had been apointed? Would you say that if Allardyce had got the job? I remember being accused of "Blind faith" last season for backing a manager that had got us our best points total in the Premiership, got us through to two European Cup finals, Won a European cup final, won and FA Cup - yet here you are telling me I should have "Blind faith" (because he's at our club) in a manager who has a 30 year track record of mediocrity.

I don't get it.

Or do you not believe in giving people chances to prove their worth?

I believe in giving the BEST man the job, not giving the "Nice man" the job.

Maybe you're just supporting the wrong team.

Grow up.

You're expecting any new manager to come in and turn us in to Premier League champions, even with the club in the current state it's in?

Madness. Complete and utter madness.

Hang on - you can't offer me an excuse of "it's what we've always done" when suggesting a manager should be given time and then complain when I expect a Manager to win us the Title - afterall, we've always done that. We did that With Benitez - in fact there are many many posts on this forum that use the fact that Benitez finished 2nd ("and really should have won it but messed it up") as a stick to beat him with.

Expecting the Manager of Liverpool FC to win the Title is only as MAD as expecting a manager with a 30 year record of mediocrity to completely change his management ethos and style to produce the sort of team you're hoping he will.

True, but then what did Shanks win before he came to us? not being pedantic, but people are too keen to write Roy off before he has had a fair crack at it, thats my point.

When it became clear that Benitez was going, and Kenny wasn't going to get it, and Roy was, I really, really wanted us to "take a chance" of an "unproven", hungry young manager who would fire up the club.

Yes, it's a risk, but I feel as if Woy is just a mediocre manager who is a "safe, steady hand".

We should have tried to identify the next Mourinho, or even the next David Moyes to bring passion, desire and excitement back.

This feels like the death by a thousand cuts. You still die, just more slowly.

Sorry - just don't get it, Would you say that if Gordon Strachan had been apointed? Would you say that if Allardyce had got the job? I remember being accused of "Blind faith" last season for backing a manager that had got us our best points total in the Premiership, got us through to two European Cup finals, Won a European cup final, won and FA Cup - yet here you are telling me I should have "Blind faith" (because he's at our club) in a manager who has a 30 year track record of mediocrity.

I don't get it.

Regardless of who got the job, I'd feel the same. Roy was far from my first choice either, but I'm not just going to instantly dismiss him as not good enough without seeing what he can do here. By that theory, do you instantly write off players without giving them a chance?

I believe in giving the BEST man the job, not giving the "Nice man" the job.

So do I, but I also believe in giving people ample time to prove their worth.

Grow up.

I'm being deadly serious. You seem to not even support the man who's in charge of the club you support, or be prepared to give the man a chance. That's not the way Liverpool fans should ever behave.

Hang on - you can't offer me an excuse of "it's what we've always done" when suggesting a manager should be given time and then complain when I expect a Manager to win us the Title - afterall, we've always done that. We did that With Benitez - in fact there are many many posts on this forum that use the fact that Benitez finished 2nd ("and really should have won it but messed it up") as a stick to beat him with.

Expecting the Manager of Liverpool FC to win the Title is only as MAD as expecting a manager with a 30 year record of mediocrity to completely change his management ethos and style to produce the sort of team you're hoping he will.

Like I said, it's mad to expect that UNDER CURRENT CIRCUMSTANCES. You know, the one's that mean we have to constantly make a tidy net profit during transfer windows to pay off the crippling debts on the club?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bar Rafa's last 18 months in charge, when have we ever been in such a dire state off the pitch? I very much doubt Shanks, Paisley or Kenny had to work under such a shambolic hierachy.

So give us something to cling on to - what is it that makes you so sure the he will be able to ditch 30 years of management mediocrity to suddenly produce Premiership Champions out of his current squad?

If Benitez was still in charge I'd expect him to get us back into the top 4 this season, same with Hodgson. Anything more than that would be a massive bonus. But we could easily finish outside the top 4, it's not a given.

I think there are valid reasons for people to be concerned about a few things so far, but you have to give a manager time. He needs to show he can learn from his mistakes just as the previous manager was.

We were told that a replacement manager would "definitely" get more out of the current squad that Benitez was - I'm waiting for that to happen.

We'll see at the end of the season then, won't we?

Or were you expecting one single result in Roy's first game in charge that would see us better the whole of last season in one go?

When it became clear that Benitez was going, and Kenny wasn't going to get it, and Roy was, I really, really wanted us to "take a chance" of an "unproven", hungry young manager who would fire up the club.

Yes, it's a risk, but I feel as if Woy is just a mediocre manager who is a "safe, steady hand".

We should have tried to identify the next Mourinho, or even the next David Moyes to bring passion, desire and excitement back.

This feels like the death by a thousand cuts. You still die, just more slowly.

Exactly - at one point during the selection process I actually said I'd prefer it if they went after Moyes.

I think I still would.

Regardless of who got the job, I'd feel the same. Roy was far from my first choice either, but I'm not just going to instantly dismiss him as not good enough without seeing what he can do here. By that theory, do you instantly write off players without giving them a chance?

I wouldn't hire a player who has nothing but mediocrity to point at during his career as a Liverpool player.

I'm not dismissing him as not good enough without seeing what he can do - I'm looking at his record over the last 30 years in management. It seems convenient that people simply dismiss his previous 30 years as not being relevant - why?

So do I, but I also believe in giving people ample time to prove their worth.

And you don't think his previous 30 years is enough time for him to have "proven" himself?

I'm being deadly serious. You seem to not even support the man who's in charge of the club you support, or be prepared to give the man a chance. That's not the way Liverpool fans should ever behave.

Countless times last year I was told "It's Liverpool FC not Benitez FC" - does that not apply now?

Fair enough, you want him to succeed, you want to give him time to succeed - and in the normal run of events I'd agree with you and allow that leeway to the manager but this is far from "Normal" at our club at the moment and it's so very obvious to me at least that this appointment has nothing to do with what's best for the club now or in the long term.

I applaude your willingness to give him time, I just don't see anyting in his past that lets ME believe that he has anything out of the ordinary in his locker that would allow him to succeed TO OUR STANDARDS!

Thanks mate. I've generally had a bit of a snobbish attitude towards the FF and barely posted on here since the MF started, but then realised it's a bit cuntish of me given that it was the FF that first brought me to this place, so it's only right that despite the constant bickering and arguing, I still attempt to add something to it.

Alex Woo, remembering the little people who made him great. Waddaguy.

For all the people who aren't willing to give him a chance, don't you think it would be nice to at least give him one match where he has the use of the players he brought in over the summer? Or, heaven forbid, a couple of matches.

No offence mate, but yes, you should be embarrassed. Is there no common sense anymore, he's been here 5 mins and your writing him off, unbeleivable! Give the fella a break ffs.

The manager doesnt know his players yet, new signings coming in, negativity like i've never witnessed before in my 40 yrs watching, i really despair sometimes.

And all you calling him woy should also be embarrassed, its pathetic.

The Liverpool way, what a joke.

• Downvote 1