You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

No idea, but all new managers should be given at least a season to prove themselves.

I completely agree.

Come on, I'll give you a clue. First name starts with an "R".

EDIT: I'm not getting at anything, just making me chuckle cos it was one of the favourite Rafa lines.

I completely agree.

Come on, I'll give you a clue. First name starts with an "R".

EDIT: I'm not getting at anything, just making me chuckle cos it was one of the favourite Rafa lines.

Ah right, I see.

Think most people gave him just a bit longer than four league games before they made up their minds, though.

Ah right, I see.

Think most people gave him just a bit longer than four league games before they made up their minds, though.

That they did. I agree when you said this is all a bit embarrassing, but to be fair the OP said he was embarrassed!

That they did. I agree when you said this is all a bit embarrassing, but to be fair the OP said he was embarrassed!

Yeah, it wasn't really directed at the OP, it was just me venting my frustration at our fan base in general.

The problem as i see it comes when you don't rate him to begin with. That's key for me. If that's the case and you are then subjected to the dogshit thats been served up so far then obviously you're not going to cut him much slack, the overriding sentiment is going to be let's rectify this mistake before too much damage is done. I realise i'm probably being a tad unfair on him but i just don't rate him. It isn't about judging him after 8 games or whatever, as much as some people would have you believe that it is.

Good post, I think this is probably true.

The problem as i see it comes when you don't rate him to begin with. That's key for me. If that's the case and you are then subjected to the dogshit thats been served up so far then obviously you're not going to cut him much slack, the overriding sentiment is going to be let's rectify this mistake before too much damage is done. I realise i'm probably being a tad unfair on him but i just don't rate him. It isn't about judging him after 8 games or whatever, as much as some people would have you believe that it is.

Excellent post and more or less highlights how I feel!

Forwarned forarmed is the phrase that comes to mind, Roy, Ged we didn't know anything about their managerial credentials to be in a position to judge after 4 games, that is why we gave them time.

Rafa was first and foremost the manager of the current la liga Champions and he was young, his CV suggested he was a good appointment and his record meant we would give him time.

But there is no lack of knowledge regarding Roy, nor is there a particularly strong CV and, nor is he young!

His CV suggested he was good, if not spectacular at mid table teams or mid table leagues and nothing suggests he was going to improve the team.

Sorry but 442 at City, no substitutes and no striker are managerial errors.

As a few of people have suggested, if you didn't want him and we are watching some managerial erros (City etc), it is hard to simply shrug and think 'Oh give him time'! I am not saying that this should not be the case, but some of us were against his appointment in the first, surely it can't be judged to be Knee Jerk if you maintain that opinion?

For a moment I thought I was reading about a club in Brazil...5 games in, talking about sacking the manager.

I totally agree that the style of play has been terrible, but that has been the norm for the last 10 years so nothing particular to Hodgson. The whole attitude in the club is wrong from top to bottom, so coming out with not having great expectations against Birmingham is shite but to be expected (The game was exactly what I expected).

I think we all need to chill a bit in terms of what is happening on the pitch. This club is going bust, we have nowhere to go but down, the team is getting weaker and weaker and will continue to do so. I have NO expectations in terms of trophies or even challenging for them and anyone who does in our current circumstances should have a word with themselves.

As such, all I look for is decent football and, to be fair, there has been very little of that. I would like a slightly more positive approach, certainly against teams like Birmingham and the early signs are not good but, again, nothing new here.

Maybe it is a sign of getting old or just having all fun knocked out of me over the last few years in relation to this club, but I simply do not care as much.

Tomorrow night I will watch Corinthians against Fluminense in a top of the table clash, amongst some of the most passionate supporters I have ever met. They'll still wonder why we just stand by and watch our club die, but at least their passion will remind me why I fell in love with the game in the first place.

As a few of people have suggested, if you didn't want him and we are watching some managerial erros (City etc), it is hard to simply shrug and think 'Oh give him time'! I am not saying that this should not be the case, but some of us were against his appointment in the first, surely it can't be judged to be Knee Jerk if you maintain that opinion?

It's not knee-jerk but you still have to give him time. Or are you saying we've reached the pinnacle of Hodgson's Liverpool, in terms of performance, after four league games?

You can change for change's sake but it's more likely to lead to relegation than an upturn in fortunes. Newcastle, Leeds and Portsmouth all thought that changing managers mid-season would be a fabulous idea. Sometimes they changed more than once, just to be sure.

Would people be having the same doubts if it were Kenny in charge and results and performances had been the same?

The ones who didn't want him in the first place would probably be making comments similar as the OP, but probably getting a harder time for it as it's Kenny.

Having said that as far as major trophies go Kenny's dozen or so years out the game have yielded the same amount of honours as Roy in the game. And given he's actually proved himself capable of winning he'd be given a fair bit longer yet.

The OP is a good post, I agree with the sentiments about issues on the field. I agree with what King Emlyn and TheRes have posted.

All balnced, open and honest posts. All pretty much cover a lot fo my hopes and fears about Roy being manager.

I'll be honest, if we are so far off the pace at Christmas, I won't be feeling embarrassed at losing faith in him, none whatsoever, but they may not happen and I may be pleased with the progress made under him, who knows.

Also, I think Roy has been better off the field than he has on it so far. He has disposed of the public fighting, it seems more peaceful around the club at the moment which is nice. But there are massive alarm bells ringing on it that is for sure.

The players still seem to be playing like they did last season and we haven't seen the usual new found life a new manager is meant to bring in. That is what one of my main concerns is, do all the players have faith in him, or is it like our previous manager who had appeared to have lost most of the dressing room

He needs to be given time, but no too much. If it is being identified early on that there are valid concerns from the supporters, then why should we allow the club to fall back even further on the pitch. The squad is good enough to qualify for CL football, Roy should be getting that as a minimum. We have heard for years how we don't need to always buy big to get CL football, now is the time for Roy to prove all his doubters wrong and step up to the plate, because if he does I will be at the front of the queue ready to shake his hand.

Oh and cut it out with the lazy Newcastle fans comparisions please fella's. We have a history worthy of demanding the best (even though we don't have a god given right to it).

It's not knee-jerk but you still have to give him time. Or are you saying we've reached the pinnacle of Hodgson's Liverpool, in terms of performance, after four league games?

You can change for change's sake but it's more likely to lead to relegation than an upturn in fortunes. Newcastle, Leeds and Portsmouth all thought that changing managers mid-season would be a fabulous idea. Sometimes they changed more than once, just to be sure.

That is unfair!

You wait to see if things change, you give time to see what he can do, but if you know from the start what his shortcomings are you don't have to wait, particularly not if the current evidence highlights your misgivings about him.

Roy has none of the unknowns or reasons to be patient that his predecessors had!

We aren't waiting for him to get used to the Premiership like Rafa and Ged, nor are we waiting to see how he copes with management like Roy and Ged, nor are we waiting to see how he develops with experience!

The facts are that he is a 63 year old manager who has never challenged for the top honours in any of the major leagues.

The one aspect that is really, really annoying me about the club at present is the general malaise about what we can acheive!

Roy doesn't expect anything at Birmingham away, but we expect the players to!

The fans don't expect anything from Roy, but we expect critics to wait and see (for what exactly?).

This team, is the same as the one that finished second! It should not be expecting a draw at Birmingham, nor getting played of the park by City.

Whats the point of starting another threard when one has been started.

This is what makes the FF shit at times stringy, you should know better than most.

Also it just goes back to the horrible divisions during the last two years of Rafa's reign.

No need to start stirrin it up at all.

The one aspect that is really, really annoying me about the club at present is the general malaise about what we can acheive!

Roy doesn't expect anything at Birmingham away, but we expect the players to!

The fans don't expect anything from Roy, but we expect critics to wait and see (for what exactly?).

This team, is the same as the one that finished second! It should not be expecting a draw at Birmingham, nor getting played of the park by City.

Apart from Hyypia, Arbeloa, Alonso and Mascherano. So it's not really the same team.

S'pose Riera was alright for the first six months or so, too.

You definitely make a valid point otherwise.

Whats the point of starting another threard when one has been started.

This is what makes the FF shit at times stringy, you should know better than most.

Also it just goes back to the horrible divisions during the last two years of Rafa's reign.

No need to start stirrin it up at all.

ah, but the other one didn't have a poll, which means you have to read lots of tiresome longwinded opinions.... there are plenty of individuals with very strong opinions on this - I just wanted to see the numbers.

Apart from Hyypia, Arbeloa, Alonso and Mascherano. So it's not really the same team.

S'pose Riera was alright for the first six months or so, too.

You definitely make a valid point otherwise.

But apart from them!

Can't really argue that five players missing is the same team really, especially considering Benny has gone as well.

I think last year was abysmal and not good enough, and I don't really like the assumption that more of the same will be fair enough. To me, the team is good enough to challenge the top four.