You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andy M

Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. Which option is closest to your thinking on Roy?

• I like Roy and I would like to see him given time to succeed.
    • Not my first choice, but he's here and I'd like to see him given time before I make a judgement.
    • He may/may not have been the right choice, but from what I've seen I've got no faith in him.
    • I don't want him here, and I want him sacked before any more damage is done.

I hate writing this, as I've always been one to give our manager (and players) time and the benefit of the doubt to get things right. I'm not one for snap judgements and am, at heart, a serial optimist, but I'm saddened to admit that I've already all but given up on Hodgson's reign as Liverpool manager.

Alarm bells began ringing when the jubilation of being told we were trying to sign Young from Aston Villa turned to incredulity to find it was Luke, not Ashley, who we were after. Not only that, the bastard ended up turning us down.

Those alarms turned into sirens after the first half against Arsenal. That performance - like all first half's this season - put paid to rest any illusion that we were still in a 'honeymoon period' with the appointment of the new manager. Even if you'd hired the worst manager in the world (and please note, I'm not saying we have!), after a change in management you expect some upturn with fresh impetus and new ideas, but we've seen none of this. The football we've seen so far is - at best - on par with the depressingly horrendous stuff we saw last year, football which got one of the most sought-after manager's in world football the sack.

Other alarm bells:

- lining up 4-4-2 away to City

- the Lucas/Poulsen partnership

- preferring Skrtel over Agger, Jovanovic over either one of Babel or Pacheco

- letting Aquilani (a £15m+ player) leave for nothing in a season when we were absolutely desperate for a second striker but had limited funds - can we honestly believe there was no club which would have been willing to do a swap for the loan of a striker?

- having expectations "not that high" versus Birmingham, and being "not that disappointed to draw [or with] our performance"

As far as I can see, Hodgson's finest achievement so far has been keeping hold of Gerrard and Torres, but if you were in the latter's boots how long would you stick around? Torres says that he's going to give it another season and then see how things lie and to be honest I can't blame him. I see his frustrations primarily being with the owners, not the manager, but would you stick around if you were to think that our performance against Birmingham was to be in any way repeated over the coming season? It was one of Torres' worst performances in a red shirt and, like the rest of the team, he was far from blameless for the performance, but is there a striker in world football who could have produced the results provided with so little by the rest of the team?

As with any player, if his head has been turned and if he is wishing for a move away from LFC in the summer then he should be shown the door. The sadness here is Torres/Reina and Alonso (when he was here), these lads 'get' Liverpool FC. They're not badge kissers; they understand the tradition and what the club means to the local people. These guys are world class players who appear to truly care about the club they play for. We've seen with Alonso how difficult it has been to replace him, I'd hate to make the same mistake with the others.

There's been a lot of talk about us having to be a lot more realistic about our expectations this season, and I agree, but 4th place shouldn't be too far out of our sights. Even if history were to repeat itself, that Liverpool were to finish a position lower in the new manager's first season than the position of the previous season, you get the feeling that so long as there were definite signs that we were going down a path which would eventually lead to success with more flowing attractive football, that the current players - and prospective future players - would probably accept one step back to take two steps forward.

As yet, I'm honestly yet to see anything which makes me feel that we have turned a corner, and that we're on the path to bigger and better things. The football we've played is like a horrible mixture of the worst of Houllier's reign, and the worst of Benitez's: sitting around our own box while hoofing long aimless balls forward, and with two defensive 'holding' midfielders 'controlling' the game. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm not calling for the managers head, but at the same time I'm not willing to accept the turgid sh*te we've seen so far, and I wonder how many of the players will be thinking along the same lines.

I hope I'm wrong, and that Hodgson is able to attain legendary status at LFC, but more and more I get the feeling that Hodgson may be a temporary appointment, and at what cost?

Have you lost faith in Pepe as well as he seems to be saying the same things as our manager. I wasn't a great fan of Hodgson, but now that he is here I can see that he's doing the best he can and things will improve, I will back the manager until that day comes when he is no longer the manager of LFC.... I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

Reina - We must be patient

Pepe Reina has told supporters to be realistic over Liverpool's prospects of challenging for silverware this season, admitting it might be difficult to reclaim a UEFA Champions League place. The Reds would appear to be in a transitional period after appointing Roy Hodgson as Rafa Benitez's replacement over the summer, with the new manager bringing in several new players before the transfer deadline.

Uncertainty continues to surround the long-term ownership of the club and Hodgson does not believe Liverpool can start thinking about winning the title until this matter is resolved. On the pitch, Liverpool have made a slow start to the new campaign with just five points from their opening for games, but Reina believes fans must be patient.

Having finished seventh last term, Reina is not sure that fans can necessarily expect a return to the top four. "We have to make sure that people don't think of winning the league or being in the top four already at this moment," said the goalkeeper, who starred in Sunday's goalless stalemate against Birmingham.

"It is going to take a while. We have got to get used to the new players and then the system. "There are many good teams and our target is to be up there but we have to be realistic. "Is a Champions League spot realistic this season? I don't know. We will find out at the end of the season what we can achieve. "Of course, we have to challenge for being up there. Maybe it will take a while."

Never thought I'd see the day where Liverpool fans were calling for the manager to be sacked this early. I didn't want Hodgson in the first place but now he's here he deserves at least one season to see if he can make an impression.

Changing just for the sake of it is the best way to get us relegated.

The problem as i see it comes when you don't rate him to begin with. That's key for me. If that's the case and you are then subjected to the dogshit thats been served up so far then obviously you're not going to cut him much slack, the overriding sentiment is going to be let's rectify this mistake before too much damage is done. I realise i'm probably being a tad unfair on him but i just don't rate him. It isn't about judging him after 8 games or whatever, as much as some people would have you believe that it is.

The problem as i see it comes when you don't rate him to begin with. That's key for me. If that's the case and you are then subjected to the dogshit thats been served up so far then obviously you're not going to cut him much slack, the overriding sentiment is going to be let's rectify this mistake before too much damage is done. I realise i'm probably being a tad unfair on him but i just don't rate him. It isn't about judging him after 8 games or whatever, as much as some people would have you believe that it is.

Excellent post.

Sacking him now would be a step backwards, but the initial signs don't look good. I think we all hoped that a new manager would revitalise our team and rectify some of the problems we were having under Rafa, but I haven't seen that so far. We've been like we were at our worst last year.

The players look fed up already. They are void of morale. But what can we do - bring a new manager in? Is it even Roy's fault? it is the same thing we saw going into last season when rumours were flying around that Benitez's supposed kitty was stolen. Perhaps we have a problem a manager can't fix as regards the lack of drive or desire.

Tactics seem to be off, I'll agree, but the problems don't stop there. To be honest, I think we'll spiral downwards until the owners have sold the club. Maybe that's stating the obvious.

Funny, though. I remember the days when it was as simple as getting in a new manager and a couple of new signings. These days being able to look at the club like that seems like a luxury.

Thanks KE. I wasn't sure what your stance was on Hodgson until this post. This has cleared it up. Thanks again.

Rectify it how? Which manager would want to take the job on knowing the last guy was given 8 games? And the guy before that was treated like dirt.

We must stick with Roy for this season.

How on earth can someone expect us to compete for 5 trophys this season with a mediocre squad? the gaffer can be anyone in the world but until h & g are gone there aren't going to be any glory! FACE IT!!!

i don't care about the lucas/poulsen issue or the other issues because those are not important regarding the situation our club is in.

the number 1 issue over all is to make shure h & g are gone for good and getting some owners in that are proving that they are backing up their manager and builds the new stadium.

and the owner situation is not getting into the players minds you say? that is BULLSHIT. look at reina, again he is calling for new owners, as has torres done latley.

The issue is this. Anyone with a level head, knew at the time that sacking Benitez and replacing him with a far inferior coach was not the answer. Unfortunately, too many whoppers in our fan base, who fell in with this media line that Benitez should go, and the board capitalised and took that oppurtunity to remove a thorn in their side. Therefore, they got away with it, brought in a yes man or patsy, fans were happy cause he's english, will stick an arm around the players shoulders and ruffle their hair etc.

What most of you are coming to realise, and will realise is that this managerial change was without doubt a stupid move (In football terms, not for the board) that we will suffer the consequences of. Transfer funds quite clearly disappeared in the summer, but you won't hear roy complain, instead you'll get excuses such as there were no good strikers available, we have enough quality here (We clearly don't).

He's trying to punch well above his weight, I don't blame him, if I was offered such a job promotion, I would jump at it, regardless of how up to it I am. The issue lies now, with fans who would not offer the former manager a chance to correct his mistakes last season, but are now in a catch 22 situation where they slowly realising the mistake made in bringing this manager in. Don't tell me he's 4 games in, what are you going to say in 5 months time? Wait and see.

EDIT: Sacking him at any time this season is not the solution. He deserves at the very least, until May. Regardless of whether we get new owners or not. He's taken the job on, he deserves his chance, I just don't have high hopes for him.

Alarm bells

Those alarms turned into sirens...

Other alarm bells:

- lining up 4-4-2 away to City

- the Lucas/Poulsen partnership

- preferring Skrtel over Agger, Jovanovic over either one of Babel or Pacheco

- letting Aquilani (a £15m+ player) leave for nothing

Fuck me! Alarm bells are ringing, indeed, about a fucking mentalist that judges a manager after a few games.

(1) - Hardly his fault.

(2) - Hardly his fault

(3) - I'm sorry... has Skrtel been shit? Is Babel anything OTHER than shit? Is Dani even ready to start in the Prem?

(4) - You mean that guy... who doesn't fit into our system... doesn't like to tackle(or be tackled)... and looks slow in possession? Aquilani is NEVER a second striker. He CAN play in the hole, however...

You need to calm down. Seriously.

FFS! We've only lost 1 competitive game with him in charge and it wasnt against Arsenal.

Have we turned into supporters of Man City or Newcastle overnight or something?

We are on the same points as City and Spurs and they are supposed to be the new kids on the block to take our place.

Ive only joined this forum in the last month and have suppoorted the team all my life,40+ years and ive never heard such shite spoken against a manager of the club in that time,even Souness and he deserved shite.

Roy must have the hardest job as manager at this club for at 50 years and hes been written off after 4 league games.

What a load of divvies have started to support this club.

We used to be the most loyal and intelligent in the land but not based on some of these posts.