You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Finnan in Sofia

Hermes

He was bad last night and hasn't been playing the best, but to be fair to him it is his first season and EVERYONE bar Stevie G have had periods of bad form this season. Lets give him time, but I think he will become a decent full back for us.

hermes , in a 5 min period he fcuked up for the goal with a MISTAKE and then put in the best cross all season for owen -

Best cross I saw for Mickey last night was the one from Bruno which he just couldn't quite reach. I can count on one hand the good crosses I've seen from Finnan this season.

Not writing him off by any means, and I keep hearing about what a good attacking full back he is. I'm just waiting to see it that's all. At the moment he isn't even as effective going forward as Carragher.

Jeeesus, school playground defending. Semmi with 6 bullets in his arse is surely a better player. I can't remember the last regular right back who was worse than Finnan. Any offers?

Portugese bloke, big lad. Blonde hair and matching beard. Ring any bells?

You could say that he wasn't the regular right back, but he had a fairly lengthy spell as first choice from the last couple of months of 2001/02 to the first few games of the following season.

I think some of the criticism of Stevie F on here has been pretty harsh during the course of the season. I've been pretty impressed with him to be honest. Not the finished article yet but shows enough to me to say he could be.

However, last night I thought he was shite and I wasn't overly thrilled with him on Sunday either.

He was a damn sight better than the muppet who replaced him!! If as Ray Houghton suggested, Biscan was brought on to counter the aerial threat on their left wing, couldn't GH just have swapped Carra and Finnan? Beats playin Igor there even if the game was won.

On another point, they switched Kewell over to the right to capitalise on all the joy Finnan was gettin in the first half out of their left full. Okay, so he mucked up for the goal, but other than that I didn't think he was too bad last night. As houllier signings go, he's one of the better ones. People seem to coming down too hard on him here - he's hardly been allowed to settle into a rock solid defence this season has he?

I think some of the criticism of Stevie F on here has been pretty harsh during the course of the season. I've been pretty impressed with him to be honest. Not the finished article yet but shows enough to me to say he could be.

However, last night I thought he was shite and I wasn't overly thrilled with him on Sunday either.

Agree mate. I think he's slotted in with hardly any fuss. Looked accomplished for the most part and will improve when we get a settled back four.

Compare Finnan to the likes of Cheyrou and Diouf who continue to look out of place nearly two years after arriving.

Agree mate. I think he's slotted in with hardly any fuss. Looked accomplished for the most part and will improve when we get a settled back four.

Compare Finnan to the likes of Cheyrou and Diouf who continue to look out of place nearly two years after arriving.

Fair point. However, he still doesn't look fantastic, does he? I agree he's not shit and he does seems to have the makings of a good player. However, he looks hesitant at key moments: when a first time cross into the box is on, he seems to take a touch or lay it off; similarly, he doesn't seem able to stay really tight to players to prevent crosses coming in at the back.

These things can both conceivably be attributed to confidence and, in all fairness, he's had a bad injury and hardly had any time to get used to playing with our other three first choice defenders. However, it's the fact that so many of our signings don't seem able to cut it that has me slightly concerned about Finnan. I haven't written him off by any means but he's still got a lot to do to get to "Carra status" (in terms of consistency) which is ultimately where all our defenders need to be if we're going to progress.

its interesting that you use the phrase "Carra status" ,as up to the leg break , even carra had not been deemed to have hit "Carra status" .

I honestly believe that he hasn't done all that badly since he joined us - he has slotted in well and gets forward whenever he can ( which ironically was what carra was being slated for ).I've followed his career for a long time due to his nationality and am fully confident that he will in the next few seasons establish himself as a top class fullback -

its interesting that you use the phrase "Carra status" ,as up to the leg break , even carra had not been deemed to have hit "Carra status" .

I honestly believe that he hasn't done all that badly since he joined us - he has slotted in well and gets forward whenever he can ( which ironically was what carra was being slated for ).I've followed his career for a long time due to his nationality and am fully confident that he will in the next few seasons establish himself as a top class fullback -

Don't know why I ressurected this thread just now...

Someone - ANYONE - come on here and explain what the fuck we paid £4m for this waster for and why we have two players who cost NOTHING between them - Markus and Semmy - at other clubs.

I would have thought someone who cost £4m should already be established as a top-class defender? That's me though - unreasonable.

Oh and Murphy you shithouse fraud, fancy giving back your "earnings" from tonight.

Marseille are shit - beaten 4 - 1 on Sunday and going shit in the league - then so are we. Going "in the right direction" still, are we?

In Danny's defence he was better second half.

Admit he stank in the first though and he wasn't alone.

You lost me at "In Danny's defence". The cheeky fucker was on about the pressures of the modern game and money last week...and then he serves up that shit? Get to fuck.

finnan has been shite for the last.....well......since he joined.

and dont give me none of this "it takes time to settle" bollocks.

He just isnt up to it. His defending, positional play, attacking play and passing are poor.

The only thing he does is challenge henchoz for the reddest face award.

With regards to Murphy I can't recall him having a good game ALL season, & love the way he's been backing GH recently, wouldn't have anything to do with recently & not to mention fortunately getting his place back in the side now would it???

As for Finnan we pay £4 Million for him & pay him £20,000+ a week & he can't cross a ball I think it's a disgrace that he can't get the ball 3 feet off the Fucking Ground.

Best Playmaker last night was Henchoz, just kept coming to him at Right back & kept playing it up the wing to Baros.

Maybe a bit of Rustiness after a week off but I really fear for the Away leg as they looked really comfortable & won virtually every second ball & Dorgba looks a class act.