You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who's this fucking idiot then? I'm not as 'up' on my journos as many are on here but I had the misfortune to listen to this prat this afto on Hawksbee & Jacobs.

He basically said Torres is off, probably to Chelsea, and for way under the asking price "because Liverpool are so desperate for the money" and that Stevie is definitely off to Real, not a great surprise if it does happen admittedly, but the reason Evans gave was along the lines of "if he doesn't go now he'll spend the rest of his career knocking the ball about in midfield to players who are getting increasingly worse than him because Liverpool are in terminal decline."

He was introduced as a Liverpool supporter. Sounds like an utter prick to me. Which scummy piece of shit does he write for?

And before the doom & gloom merchants jump on this can we remember that the club is up for sale, the procedure is in place for that to happen and that there are interested parties. I'm so sick of this pessimism from Liverpool supporters. The media are doing a fine enough job of deconstructing anything positive about the club without wankers like Evans jumping on board.

If Torres does go I eat my ball bag if he goes for less then 70m

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. But I'm not Tom Hicks and he doesn't seem to do reality. If he sells £100m worth of players he'll be looking to bargain down by about half that.

Fair point, but i suppose whether that's considered a possibility depends on whether you believe Broughton's assertions that Hicks is now removed from setting a price and the decision making process. Personally, i can't see him risking his career by toeing the line for those two.

The problem here is that the fans are as divided as ever, just over a new issue. It used to be R***, now it's who is being realistic or not. Do you think it's a case of pessimists calling realists optimistic, or is it optimists calling realists pessimistic?

Personally, i think we're in shit, but it could be deeper. Some enjoy burying their heads in the sand whilst others claim imminent asset stripping and impending doom - the truth is probably (as it usually is) somewhere in between the two polar opposites.

If we really are desperate for cash and need to reduce the wage bill, the easy way to do it is to sell Johnson and Mascherano. A reasonable amount in, replacements can be found cheaply, two high wage earners off the wage bill. Add to that Benayoun and Benitez already gone, one replaced by someone costing 50%, the other by a Bosman, earning probably less, and things look better. Then force Gerrard and Torres to stay, no real loss in the face value of the club, and we can struggle on another season, or even sell the club with its reputation sort of there.

If we really are desperate for cash and need to reduce the wage bill, the easy way to do it is to sell Johnson and Mascherano. A reasonable amount in, replacements can be found cheaply, two high wage earners off the wage bill. Add to that Benayoun and Benitez already gone, one replaced by someone costing 50%, the other by a Bosman, earning probably less, and things look better. Then force Gerrard and Torres to stay, no real loss in the face value of the club, and we can struggle on another season, or even sell the club with its reputation sort of there.

And how do you force players to stay?

If they come out and say that they want to move but the owners won't let them do you think the fans will side with the players or the owners? Because I know who I'll be stood behind and neither of them has a Texan twang.

And how do you force players to stay?

If they come out and say that they want to move but the owners won't let them do you think the fans will side with the players or the owners? Because I know who I'll be stood behind and neither of them has a Texan twang.

A player under a contract does not need to be sold despite his wish to be sold. It hardly ever makes sense to do it, but e.g. Rafa kept Mascherano last year when he clearly wanted out. With Gerrard and Torres it takes all the skill Hodgson's got. I hope he learned well the skills in diplomacy when he was in Switzerland.

Can you seperate the two? Journalism is not a represenation of the facts, it is an opinion based on the evidence at hand!

So, evidence at hand is probably more likely to conclude a pessimistic viewpoint than optimistic, which at the moment is based on what could happen and not on what has happened!

You can't just say 'lets leave all the pessimism out of it' and think that everything will be okay!

That is the type of thinking that tends to be spoken by over emotional women, who love new age spirituality, Natasha Atlas and commit suicide before they are 40!

1. Journalism is not all relativist waffle. And it's not all about 'opinion'. That's why there is a distinct 'opinion' section in decent papers. Good journalism, in the areas of basic reporting and analysis, is about striving to be as objective and dispassionate as is humanly possible.

2. I didn't say leave all pessimism out of it and all will be okay. Obviously. I said leave pessimism AND optimism out of it. Quite another point, as you well know. If you pre-judge all data via a pessimistic or optmisitic perspective you will systematically misinterpret and misrepresent that data. It's rendered more or less usless. So don't twist the argument.

Journalists, estate agents, politicians; everyone of them is full of shit. Sorry to generalise, but generally that's the truth.

It's strange, we all know it, yet they all continue lying.

When a politician is asked an awkward question and they avoid answering it, you know what the answer is.

If they're asked "Will there be job cuts in the NHS?" then I'd rather they just said "Yes, unfortunately" instead of "Well, we've difficult decisions to make but I can't comment".

Everyone is lying to each other - and that's the truth.

gkmacca - I feel the same about Broughton. He didn't have to be here, he's come here to do a job and will not be looking to damage his career or lie for anyone. Hence my sense of optimism. Evans didn't mention Broughton once today or anything he'd said at Roy's press conference. That wound me up more than anything. Twats like this are very broadly speculating and because they speak with a scouse accent they seem to be taken more seriously. Bunch of arse.

Mate not trying to be funny but really he does not give a shit about all that because it doesn't matter one jot. He'lll always get big jobs, just saying our name along with BA and everyone else on his CV is going to get him whatever job. Most the people he would associate with are not going to be particularly interested in the ins and outs, he was tasked with a job by our owners, whatever the task was which we know not, he is here to do that. This is the man implicated in tobacco smuggling and scarpering off.

Personally for me, he's a business gun for hire, a breaker upper and a man who is good at manipulation and presentation with good contacts in that world either he is either a agent working for Abramovich or he is working for the banks or he is working for H and G.

Whoever he represents, it is not us. He is no barometer of anything and not to be trusted.

Of all the cunts I trust him least for the very reason you trust him most, we can trust H and G to follow the money, the banks either want the property or the money but both him and Purslow are the representing actables or agents and operating to acheive ends. Until the club is sold we don't get the luxury of assuming anything and must trust only the actions they have taken so far, mostly just lying so far.

I think anyone who compares us with Leeds just doesn't understand business to be quite honest, as I said on another thread a while back Leeds were never a world name, they punched above their weight like Forest did. Liverpool is one of the great European clubs and its name alone will always bring marketing and advertising money, it will always have people wanting to own, manage, and play for it. Juventus went down to Serie B but they were still Juventus.

All I've seen for tha past 18 months is a lot of hysterics surrounding the ownership and running of the club but very little fact, the key to maintaining a healthy mental state is don't believe any of it until it's actually happened.

It is happening though isn't it?

Too big to fail is not what business entertains, money is what matters and we are coming up shorter than Danny Devito right about now.

It's strange, we all know it, yet they all continue lying.

When a politician is asked an awkward question and they avoid answering it, you know what the answer is.

If they're asked "Will there be job cuts in the NHS?" then I'd rather they just said "Yes, unfortunately" instead of "Well, we've difficult decisions to make but I can't comment".

Everyone is lying to each other - and that's the truth.

Fucking liar.

Mate not trying to be funny but really he does not give a shit about all that because it doesn't matter one jot. He'lll always get big jobs, just saying our name along with BA and everyone else on his CV is going to get him whatever job.

I really don't want to be anything other than neutral about Broughton at this stage, but that's just not right. You might as well say Tony Hayward will always get big jobs because BP got him lots of publicity. There really IS such a thing as bad publicity in the business world. That's one reason why I'm actually quite pleased Broughton is in charge of the process. He doesn't give a damn about what the football world thinks of him but he does the business world, and he doesn't need a cackhanded performance on his CV. 'Let's bring in Broughton - he lied on the record at Liverpool and failed to deliver!' You really can't just claim 'Oh, it doesn't matter one jot'. It does. That's not to say he is going to do this job as we want him to, but we do need to retain a sliver of logic when discussiing him.

I really don't want to be anything other than neutral about Broughton at this stage, but that's just not right. You might as well say Tony Hayward will always get big jobs because BP got him lots of publicity. There really IS such a thing as bad publicity in the business world. That's one reason why I'm actually quite pleased Broughton is in charge of the process. He doesn't give a damn about what the football world thinks of him but he does the business world, and he doesn't need a cackhanded performance on his CV. 'Let's bring in Broughton - he lied on the record at Liverpool and failed to deliver!' You really can't just claim 'Oh, it doesn't matter one jot'. It does. That's not to say he is going to do this job as we want him to, but we do need to retain a sliver of logic when discussiing him.

He's rightchaknow, Dennis. A list of past failures does not make for a glowing CV.

the truth is probably (as it usually is) somewhere in between the two polar opposites.

Yeah, wise words. Hopefully Tom and George are backed into a financial corner and are owners in name only. And hopefully the banks don't do another Moores.

He's rightchaknow, Dennis. A list of past failures does not make for a glowing CV.

At this stage of his life I don't think he's worried about the CV. This seems to be more of a vanity project to him. Nice one if it works out, easy to explain away if it doesn't.

I've no reason to think Torres, Gerrard and Mascherano will stay.

Torres said we can handle not being in Europe if the club look to buy a few top players. We apparently are selling to buy again, so it's no surprise if Torres went.

Gerrard is always thinking of leaving when we look to be in any trouble. And Mascherano seemingly wants to leave.

Some will think I am a bit strong in what I will say but I only want whats best for the club which has become a living nightmare to witness now.

I would shake their hand and wish them all the best if any of them decided to leave, Mascherno had his head turned this time last year by Barca, always give 100% but can get a nice profit so not holding us to ransome and wont magically become any happier. Watched him closely since he first got in the Argentina squad so happy he has got to play for us if anything and I think under appreciatted here.

Gerrard, can't hold it against the lad, there is absolutely nothing more he could of done for us, cost nothing and must feel insulted by our lack of ambition after all and at his age there has to be a decision in the next 12 months if not now on whether he will play for us for his whole career, contemplate joining another Englsih team or go abroad and if he's gonna do it, best to do it now with the world of clubs at his feet rather than go and play for Lille when he's 34.

Torres, not won much in his career, Roy Hodgson is a nobody to him that isn't indicating he's aching to win the league or any trophies but meanwhile he's one of the top 5 in the world, people can say he owes us another year but what for, as Roy indicates, we won't be challenging for anything significant soon, so why wait 12 months unless theres no clubs he wants to go to? He has already left his hometown club to win trophies and is another who I am still amazed and proud he has managed to play for us in his career as a world star and not the sort of signing Roy is going to attract in his thyme here. With Broughton touting him to Chelsea and loads of smoke around his future he may not have long before he has to make a choice to make LFC a profit or try to make them great shakes again against all odds.

Evans never stated he had any source. Seems to me like he was speculating, another point, is Mourinho Gerrard's biological father or something? He says Gerrard should go to Jose etc...... Are they related or something? Anyone who can't see the Owen parallels with Gerrard going to Madrid are blind.

I seem to remember Owen's circumstances to be quite different. What are the parallels?

That said there might be a bit of an unwillingness to face a horrible truth in the reaction on here.

Now you're talking.

Of all the cunts I trust him least for the very reason you trust him most, we can trust H and G to follow the money, the banks either want the property or the money but both him and Purslow are the representing actables or agents and operating to acheive ends. Until the club is sold we don't get the luxury of assuming anything and must trust only the actions they have taken so far, mostly just lying so far.

And what lies have Broughton told so far to make you trust him even less the the other three?