You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, Nunavut. Of course. Are they big curlers in Nunavut? Surely it should have been some kind of whale hunting/blubber joke?

Only 3 curling rinks in the 26 communities.

Most were abandoned when the Scots left after they'd fished out all the bowhead whales.

They are making a comeback (the whales, not curling) and every year communittes have a traditional hunt in kayaks. One bowhead can feed a whole community for a long time.

Muktuq is a delicacy (whale blubber) up here.

Ghana looking good but the Americans will equalize.

Only 3 curling rinks in the 26 communities.

Most were abandoned when the Scots left after they'd fished out all the bowhead whales.

They are making a comeback (the whales, not curling) and every year communittes have a traditional hunt in kayaks. One bowhead can feed a whole community for a long time.

Muktuq is a delicacy (whale blubber) up here.

Ghana looking good but the Americans will equalize.

A wonderfully informative post. Thanks.

So happens I was watching a show this morning wherein a group went to Alaska to find dangerous animals such as polar bears, wolverines and the like. They mentioned the hunting of bowhead whales. They showed the bones that had been discarded and I found it genuinely hard to believe anyone fishes for that. It was bloody huge. There must be some number of them if they are just in kayaks.

The Americans are chasing shadows at the moment. Ghana are playing with a lot more fluidity and knocking the ball around nicely. America need to get Bradley on the ball more and maybe have one of their forwards dropping back into midfield to make up the numbers. They're getting overrun.

fuck off USA

you cant even vest in a proper interest in the sport but the little you have given and then given it a crappy name as to not clash with your inappropriatley named oaf groping men sport has then informed Hicks and Gillett of the sport and LFC so your national team can fail forever thank you very much

fuck off USA

you cant even vest in a proper interest in the sport but the little you have given and then given it a crappy name as to not clash with your inappropriatley named oaf groping men sport has then informed Hicks and Gillett of the sport and LFC so your national team can fail forever thank you very much

A stupidly xenophobic post which belies a deep ignorance.

And they never called it soccer, we did. Get over yourself.

fuck off USA

Punctuation man, punctuation!

A wonderfully informative post. Thanks.

So happens I was watching a show this morning wherein a group went to Alaska to find dangerous animals such as polar bears, wolverines and the like. They mentioned the hunting of bowhead whales. They showed the bones that had been discarded and I found it genuinely hard to believe anyone fishes for that. It was bloody huge. There must be some number of them if they are just in kayaks.

There are at least 3-4 kayaks plus a couple of motor boats for safety resaons as well as to make sure they can get the whale back to shore for butchering.

Only one or two hunts are done traditionally because the skills have been lost due to the Inuit being moved into settlements.The hunt captain usually chooses two or three young Inuks to go to try and pass down the culture. Kind of like your Dad getting in your first pint at teh local. Bowhead whales (or right whales as they are sometimes known because the Scots said they were the 'right' whales to go after because they are so big and tend to stay near the surface) are usually caught in motor boats.

Seals are tricky as you shoot the bastards and they tend to sink pretty quick and then they're gone. Beluga whales the same thing, they're not much bigger than Flipper the dolphin.

Not sure aboot the film, they have been a few lately. Seal is traditionally eat raw and the heart is considered a delicacy and if offered raw seal heart it is an honour. As well the eyeball is considered a treat and offered to the kids. My daughters boyfriend loves Arctic char eyes (no seals where I am, as I am inland; pretty much in the middle of the Barrenlands) but I've never had either seal eye or fish eye.

I've had polar bear, caribou, ptarmigan, and probably the weirdest was fermented walrus fat which was truly pungent. But it would keep you alive in the winter because you sweat after eating it (seal liver as well makes you sweat but you can never eat polar bear liver as it will make you very sick).

Guest TesticleOReilly
fuck off USA

's a bit prejudice, to be honest.

You'll be having a go at the spics, dagos and wops, next.

's a bit prejudice, to be honest.

You'll be having a go at the spics, dagos and wops, next.

the post wasnt meant to be taken seriously in all honesty, I dont like the USA national team at all however would prefer them to win than Ghana just to stop Marcel Desailly from forcing himself to ejaculate in fake delight everytime they score