You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Not reading all of this thread but it's cheered me up as we've had several threads like this, example.... Yossi fucking Benayoun and Fuck off Peter Crouch! so this thread title has given me a lot of hope.

And Hodgson won't last as long as those players who have or will move on

Has Hodgson been appointed ? Until there is an official statement from the club i`m sticking to the belief that a new manager won`t be appointed until new owners are in place. I just need to cling to some sort of hope, no matter how futile, I suppose.

Erm just one slight problem 2014 is a long way away. We may need a new manager before then.

What is the criteria to be given a chance at the job in your opinion?

For a start, without wishing to be pedantic, I think the question asked in the thread title is flawed, because none of us can say for certain without him being a chance at the job whether or not he is good enough. I think a better question would be to ask whether you think he's the right man for the job and personally, at this moment in time, I do think he could do a job for us. He's not my first choice by any means, but at the same time, I don't think he's the worst possible candidate.

In my opinion, I don't think he's the man to win no19, but what I think he'll do is at least give us a bit of stability on the pitch. He's proved at Fulham that he can get the best out of what he has at his disposal and appears to be very shrewd in the transfer market, and I think that we'll have to do both those things well in order to have a decent season.

With a positive outlook and one or two clever acquisitions, I think that a fourth place finish is a realistic target. Last season was our first for a decade and we still only finished around seven points behind Spurs. If we'd have gone to places like Wolves or Blackburn and actually played to win the match, rather looking at securing a draw and then maybe nicking a winner, I've got no doubts that we'd have finished much higher up the League and possibly even got that fourth place. Like I said with Hodgson, he seems to get the best out of what he has to work with and, fingers crossed, he'll see what some of our players have to offer and realise that letting the shackles off in certain games would be the best course of action.

I can only see Hodgson being a short term appointment and if his objective is to keep us challenging for the Champions League and competitive in the cups until the club is sold, then that's a mandate I can see him fulfilling. If he does that, then maybe you could say that he deserves another crack under new owners.

Don't get me wrong, I won't exactly be jumping for joy if Hodgson does get the job, but I won't be slagging him off before a photo of him holding up a scarf in front of the Kop appears in the papers.

Not reading all of this thread but it's cheered me up as we've had several threads like this, example.... Yossi fucking Benayoun and Fuck off Peter Crouch! so this thread title has given me a lot of hope.

Dam right.

Yeah a lot of hope that Roy will move on in 2 seasons like those players, which will leave us looking for a new manager, a new start, our best players gone elsewhere fed up of waiting for Hicks to go bankrupt and accept an offer for the club

Has Hodgson been appointed ? Until there is an official statement from the club i`m sticking to the belief that a new manager won`t be appointed until new owners are in place. I just need to cling to some sort of hope, no matter how futile, I suppose.

Compensation as been agreed with Fulham.

We where seventh.

He had to go.

Jog on.

Ah right, so finishing 7th is a failure, okay!

I'm sure that you don't need me to point out the stupidity of that argument! (Although you clearly need someone to do so, considering the regularity in which in continue to post gobbledigook)

It is entirely feasible that Roy will get this team (if Nando and Gerrard remain) into fourth!

This is what I don't get, the criticism of R*** was that he didn't make the best use of that team, a team that should not have finished seventh and therefore he should take the blame.

So fine, I will agree to that.

So why then, is it suddenly a fair argument to point out what a state the club is in, how much of a difficult job it is, and taking all that into consideration we should back Roy!

We will ignore the blatant hyprocrisy of being told to back a manager by certain fans who have spent a hell of a lot longer than the past year, criticising the past manager!

For a start, without wishing to be pedantic, I think the question asked in the thread title is flawed, because none of us can say for certain without him being a chance at the job whether or not he is good enough. I think a better question would be to ask whether you think he's the right man for the job and personally, at this moment in time, I do think he could do a job for us.

Isn't that a bit pedantic? I'm not asking for accurate predictions, I'm asking for your opinion.

Hodgson seems like a nice enough man. He managed quite successfully in his early days in Scandinavia and that got him a shot at the better clubs in the bigger leagues. His record since doesn't exactly tally with some people's estimation of him as a top manager - certainly not a coach that you would have connected with a major European club like Liverpool.

The point being made that Liverpool are now a power in name only is a valid one and we maybe shouldn't expect to attract a major coaching talent. But it is the sheer lack of aspiration that Hodgson's appointment would signal that depresses. Here is a man who will conscientiously go about his job, doing what he knows best, being safe and unadventurous on and off the field. And, unless he gets off to an absolute flyer, the fans, who are, at best, ambivalent about his appointment will be on his back like a pack of baby-munching urban foxes.

I don't want Hodgson here - in fact I didn't want a British manager, not even Kenny. This is because, with the exception of Sir Touching Cloth, foreign managers have proven to be better in our domestic league and in Europe. Ok, Hodgson managed a Europa League final and Harry Slackjowls got Spaz fourth place, but Ranieri, Houllier, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez and Ancelotti have done better over the last decade or so.

Ah, fuck it, anyway. If Woy does get dumped on us I will give him my support. I hope he does well and I will wish him luck. Yet I am worried for him and us. If Rafa got so mangled by some of our fans with his record, then Hodgson had better be prepared for outbreaks of venom and bile if things start badly, followed by storms of septic shite if things don't improve.

Welcome to Anfield, Roy ................... and The Liverpool Way.

We have to back the manager until King Christian decides he's made a mistake and sacks him, then we have to get behind the club, get behind the new manager, wish Gerrard and Torres well and be good reds while King Christian fucks up again and again

Ah right, so finishing 7th is a failure, okay!

I'm sure that you don't need me to point out the stupidity of that argument! (Although you clearly need someone to do so, considering the regularity in which in continue to post gobbledigook)

It is entirely feasible that Roy will get this team (if Nando and Gerrard remain) into fourth!

This is what I don't get, the criticism of R*** was that he didn't make the best use of that team, a team that should not have finished seventh and therefore he should take the blame.

So fine, I will agree to that.

So why then, is it suddenly a fair argument to point out what a state the club is in, how much of a difficult job it is, and taking all that into consideration we should back Roy!

We will ignore the blatant hyprocrisy of being told to back a manager by certain fans who have spent a hell of a lot longer than the past year, criticising the past manager!

Its a simple concept really Whelan. The previous manager was criticised for STUFF HE DID WHILE HE WAS HERE. Nobody (apart from atk perhaps) was not backing him when he arrived.

Isn't that a bit pedantic? I'm not asking for accurate predictions, I'm asking for your opinion.

To be fair he did say it was pedantic.

I think we all knew what the immediate future holds for Liverpool. For all of the mewling about Rafa being "forced out" a more sensible assessment of the situation is that he was asking for assurances which he must have known he could not get - especially in writing.

Our immediate task on every level of the club bar the owners is to hold the fort until the cavalry arrives, then see what can be salvaged and begin the return to greatness, however long it may take.

It's only my opinion, but that was a task Rafa no longer wanted to be involved in. He's got some money and an exciting seemingly uninhibited job and good luck to him, and if he was worn down by the last few years that's understandable too.

Roy won't come here with blinkers on, he'll know the score, and it'll be to his credit that he still wants to take the job on. For that alone he'll deserve respect.

Its a simple concept really Whelan. The previous manager was criticised for STUFF HE DID WHILE HE WAS HERE. Nobody (apart from atk perhaps) was not backing him when he arrived.

You see Strinvest, I am trying to seperate everybody here, and therefore I can see that a number of posters felt last year was the final straw, others had reached that point the year before (you know when 2nd wasn't good enough). But there was a fair few who had reached that conclusion by 2007!

And the main criticism was R*** cannot win the league, lets not ignore that now, he could not win the league and therefore he had to be replaced.

And here we are, possibly appointing a 63 year old manager, on the basis of reaching the Europa cup, last season!

R*** was under pressure to deliver the title from the first minute against Tottenham, and it is an outright lie if anyone says any different, at best he was certainly under cumulative pressure to do so after five years of not challenging.

So why appoint Hodgson to do that job?

We are told the club is in a bad state because of the owners, so we can't expect much, so we have to back Hodgson! My point, which seems to have been lumped in with the 'Working for the Yanks argument' is that where do you draw the line and say no?

Where do you say to the owners, no, don't ask for 800 million for a club whilst you are appointing average managers to perform average tasks.

There is a huge amount of revisionism going on here by posters who proclaimed the Liverpool job as one of the best there is, and talked of top managers. Who are now backtracking, suddenly realising (after coincidently not noticing it too much the past year or so) how much of a shitty job it actually is.

And let me end by saying it was best that R*** went in hindsight, the arguing and constant snipping was detrimental to the side and he was involved in an argument in the first weeks of close season. I felt he deserved another season to prove himself, but it would have been a waste of time in the current climate.