You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Speaking as someone who spent years arguing against blerts in Rafa's favour on this and other forums, who was always respectful to him on a personal level, and ultimately lost faith in him for football reasons, I find some of the self-congratulatory daggers as sharp as the spiteful ones. And yes they were spiteful. What winds me up is feeling like some fairly reasonable criticism just gets lumped in with the lies and name calling, and I'm not sure that's altogether constructive or we end up either deepening the divisions or in some kind of groupthinking circle jerk like RAWK.

I don't think anyone has the slightest problem with reasoned criticism of and losing faith in a manager. I've never read anything by you which I thought was unfair. Wrong maybe...

Guest PurpleNose
Speaking as someone who spent years arguing against blerts in Rafa's favour on this and other forums, who was always respectful to him on a personal level, and ultimately lost faith in him for football reasons, I find some of the self-congratulatory daggers as sharp as the spiteful ones. And yes they were spiteful. What winds me up is feeling like some fairly reasonable criticism just gets lumped in with the lies and name calling, and I'm not sure that's altogether constructive or we end up either deepening the divisions or in some kind of groupthinking circle jerk like RAWK.

Not sure that is quite the case. I think there is just a general polite request for everyone that has been a stupid hypocritical cunt to try not to be one again.

If our club was run as a club of its size suggested, I'd probably have wanted to replace Benitez. But as we're being asset stripped by a gang of thunderous spastic cunts I was wary of who may replace him. He wasn't sacked for football reasons, and Hodgson won't be appointed for football reasons.

It doesn't make me feel good that I predicted this. It feels fucking horrendous. I won't be congratulating anyone.

You're a very reasonable poster Zigackly, your criticism is analysis of our football. Not calling the manager a cunt, questionning whether he throws games, or criticising him for having the audacity to stick up for himself against the previously mentioned thunderous spastic cunts.

You're not, I imagine, who the few previous posts are aimed at.

Ok, I'm perhaps being oversensitive. It just seems that there's a lot aimed at "those who wanted Rafa to go" at the moment, which should more accurately be aimed at "those who attacked him on a personal level". And I did want him to go. I've not changed my opinion on that.

I just didn't want it to be accompanied by a gargantuan clusterfuck of a selection process which apparently ignores any decent candidates which people might be more amenable to in favour of a seemingly mediocre one. No disrespect to Hodgson, and I will give him time and leeway if it's him, but there are at least three people who we seem to be genuinely linked with who apparently want the job and would be far less divisive.

To claim that anyone not expecting this unholy mess is insane is rather rich too in my opinion. It seemed as if Dalglish would be a genuine part of the selection process, not a figurehead to be sidelined and briefed against when he disagrees with less qualified people on who should be favourite.

I do apologise for "self-congratulatory". I'm perpetuating the same kind of asides I'm complaining about there.

Ok, I'm perhaps being oversensitive. It just seems that there's a lot aimed at "those who wanted Rafa to go" at the moment, which should more accurately be aimed at "those who attacked him on a personal level". And I did want him to go. I've not changed my opinion on that.

I just didn't want it to be accompanied by a gargantuan clusterfuck of a selection process which seemingly ignores any decent candidates which people might be more amenable to in favour of a seemingly mediocre one. No disrespect to Hodgson, and I will give him time and leeway if it's him, but there are at least three people who we seem to be genuinely linked with who apparently want the job and would be far less divisive.

Also, I apologise for "self-congratulatory". I'm perpetuating the same kind of asides I'm complaining about there.

Zig, I think it's a case of not what you say, but how you say it. And how often you say it aswell. Of course people are entitled to an opinion, but you can't say one thing over and over and over again and then preach another. I think that is the issue.

Many of the people who were lumped in with the 'Rafapologists' were actually on the side of common sense and objectivity and objective evidence, in the same way that many of the people who actively lobbyed for his removal. There probably wasn't much of a difference in the centre ground...but as always, it was the extreme wings of either party that caused the problems, as extremism does. And I think we were all fucking sick of the yapping from these bastards, some of whom are now preaching peace, love and harmony. That seems to be the beef.

Guest PurpleNose
Paddy hitting the nail bang on the head there, along with PurpleNose.

Good posts by Zig too.

I don't like the title of this thread.

Me neither. Infact a small part of the reason I don't want Hodgson here is the fact it could fucking ruin him on many levels, and as many have pointed out already, he seems a thoroughly pleasant chap.

I've not been sure about more than half of the appointments in my lifetime. I actually shat myself when they appointed Shankly.

I'm tempted to do that now, in fact.

The most certainty I had was about Souness, the least Houllier, but they've nearly all made some sort of sense - even this one.

Pre internet you were oblivious to everyone's views apart from family, friends, journalists and Jimmy Hill but there's always caution whoever it is.

I'm curious and cautious about this one too.

I cannot for one minute believe you were about when they appointed Shankly, you are one of the most clueless cunts I have ever had the misfortune to read on here and that includes some massive full of shit lying whoppers.

I don't like the title of this thread.

Nor the opening post and some of the subsequent ones to be fair. Again, it's resorting to personal abuse of the man instead of assessing him on his abilities.

There was a time when LFC was a football club and this was a football forum ...

If Roy Hodgson is confirmed as the next manager of LFC it will not be a long-term appointment.

You may not agree with the appointment of Hodgson, but people need to realise that we will not be able to attract a category A manager or world class players in our current predicament. We may be a global institution with a great history and tradition, but sadly we are not an attractive proposition to outsiders at present.

Liverpool FC will not be able to move forward until Hicks and Gillett are away from the club & whilst we spend all summer debating about the merits of Roy Hodgson as manager, and whether Rafa Benitez should still be manager of LFC, the owners and the banks are getting off scot-free.

It is time that we all put our differences aside and focus on the main issue which is to get our football club back. Lets up the ante and put pressure on the banks to force Hicks and Gillett to sell the club now.

That's been the case for the last 12 months though and anyone who mentioned it was told it was a separate issue and it was fine to undermine the manager because everyone knew the owners were cunts anyway.

Anyone who said we were sacking a "category A manager" and would probably down-grade was told not to spread scare stories because Mourinho, Hiddink or whoever would crawl over broken glass to manage us and even if they didn't Kenny would step into the breach.

And now everyone who is unhappy about the appointment is supposed to suppress their opinion and get behind Roy when I suspect I'm not the only one who thinks he's been appointed to keep his mouth shut and steady the team while the owners do their worst.

Both got massively agreeable points to them.

why whats he done mate ?

He's done a lot of work in the campaign to get the owners out. More than probably most on here put together.

He's also the fan who sent the email that prompted little Tommy Hicks' response of 'Blow Me Fuck Face, I'm sick you'

Great work he has done and that should never be ignored, no matter what your opinion on the previous manager.

Maybe we cannot attract a Category A manager but certainly can attract Category B manager (the likes of the others linked).

I would put Hodgson at an average C and we defintely wont attract world class players or keep them with him at the helm.

Not sure that is quite the case. I think there is just a general polite request for everyone that has been a stupid hypocritical cunt to try not to be one again.

If our club was run as a club of its size suggested, I'd probably have wanted to replace Benitez. But as we're being asset stripped by a gang of thunderous spastic cunts I was wary of who may replace him. He wasn't sacked for football reasons, and Hodgson won't be appointed for football reasons.

It doesn't make me feel good that I predicted this. It feels fucking horrendous. I won't be congratulating anyone.

You're a very reasonable poster Zigackly, your criticism is analysis of our football. Not calling the manager a cunt, questionning whether he throws games, or criticising him for having the audacity to stick up for himself against the previously mentioned thunderous spastic cunts.

You're not, I imagine, who the few previous posts are aimed at.

The absolute crux of the matter. The fact that he would appear to be the favourite of our board for the job is extremely alarming. The best interests of Liverpool football club are way, way down on their list of priorities. To the end that Hodgson's success would ultimately mean our success, I will back him, but beyond that, I would always be suspicious. Liverpool manager or not.

ly this is an ageist thing? He is hardly "flavour of the year" he's been a well respected coach for as long as I can remember, could it not be that at this moment in his life everything is falling into place? Players can peak, why not managers?

I am not saying for a second he is definetly the best man for the job and will be a complete success, but the reason I would like him here is because for the most part to over simplify it, he won't over complicate things and that's what we need here at the moment I would say. I'd love to see Rijkaard here and to me he's the most underrated manager in Europe at the moment but that doesn't mean I'll bad mouth Roy if we get him instead.

It depends how you define respected, he wasnt in for the Chelsa or Spurs or Villa job, city etc etc he was overlooked for the England job. So thats what I mean by flavour of the month. Where as now he is/was favouirite for both jobs. His stock has never been higher I think you would agree.

As for this he doesnt oversimplfy things I'm not sure what that means. Is it he is English he doesnt do any of this foreign ribbish thats what people normally mean. It's not an age thing it is an experience thing. I do think he is a good manager but I think we need an exceptional manager to keep us above water at the present time, especially as those around us are stronger than ever.

The only way the fuckers will leave if direct action reduces the money going into the clubs and then the pockets. almost like cutting off a limb to stop a disease spreading.

RBS wont give a shit about anything ( even bad publicity, effect on their private banking etc) until they feel it is a ccommercial risk financing the americans. at the end of the day they are making a lot of money with this deal.

Under normal circumstances Roy Hodgson should not be allowed anywhere near Liverpool.

These are not normal circumstances. Nice chap that he is, he is not at the level we operated on, or used to operate on. This is the thing.

We are not playing champions league football and we finished 7th, given that we will probably be spending nowt this summer he probably is our level.

We have dropped to his standard rather than him being fit to rise to ours.

Some would even suggest that the real hypocrites are those on here and above all on RAWK who thought that everything was ok with the club - despite the owners - as long as Rafa was at the helm

Where has anyone said that - show me.

I also personally hope we never again have a situation where some of our fanbase see their loyalty as belonging to a man rather than a club

Sorry mate but thats just a load of sanctimonious shite

I cannot for one minute believe you were about when they appointed Shankly, you are one of the most clueless cunts I have ever had the misfortune to read on here and that includes some massive full of shit lying whoppers.

Ha. Priceless.

Shame the notion of what goatboy was saying is clearly lost on you.

He probably meant he shat himself because he was in nappies or whatever babies wore in the late 50's.

Do you ever offer your own opinion rather than pull people up for theirs? The worst kind of poster.