You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Cup horn risks permanent damage to hearing

JOHANNESBURG — Football fans attending the World Cup risk permanent damage to their hearing from the vuvuzela horns which are the must-have accessory at the tournament in South Africa, a study said Monday.

The din emitting from the tuneless plastic horns is louder than that from a drum or a chainsaw, according to the survey by hearing aid manufacturer Phonak.

It said tests had shown the sound emitted by a vuvuzela was the equivalent to 127 decibels. The sound from a drum was put at 122 decibels while the sound from a referee's whistle registered 121.8 decibels.

"Extended exposure at just 85 decibels puts us at a risk of permanent noise-induced hearing loss," Phonak said in a statement on the SAPA news agency.

"When subjected to 100 decibels or more, hearing damage can occur in just 15 minutes."

While the horns have gone down a storm among South African supporters, players from rival teams have been less enthusiastic.

Spain midfielder Xabi Alonso has called for it to be banned as it impedes players' concentration but FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has defended it as a part of South African football culture.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article /ALeqM5j3vbSMaqg_pgOuWHjwPOeqNKXA0Q

I was happy that it was in SA this year as the games will be on at a reasonable time but i'd trade it for it the 2002 WC with the shitty time difference any day cos those horns ruin the games for me.

I watched the Confederations Cup last year and watched most of the games. Even during the final i was still pissed off by them.

Hope Blatter has to sit through each and everyone of the games and listen to those fucking horns and he gets a bad bad case of ear aids because of it. Gobshite that he is, no fucking way are these pieces of plastic, any part of African history or culture.

If they're damaging people's hearing they should be fucked off. It's ok saying 'they're part of their culture' etc, but if a load of english fans turned up with trumpets or something messing people's hearing up would they put up with it? They need to stop skirting around it and ban them if it's causing hearing damage, people's hearing quality for the rest of their lives is more important than blowing a horn for 90 mins at a football game.

I reckon a lot of african footie fans will be facepalming in the future when watching/listening to coverage of this tournament, because they'll possibly have long since been banned.

Are BBC not offering a horn free viewing experience on the digital?

Mark Lawrenson nearly cried when he heard....

They should offer coverage free of the sound of their fucking commentators too. Probably causes equal ear (and brain.) damage.

I'm hoping there will be less of them at the proper games. In these friendlies and the confederations cup they give away a lot of free tickets and a lot of children were at the games. I'm hoping people who have to pay for the tickets have a little more brain power and don't find blowing a horn non stop entertaining, it may be false hope though people in general are pretty stupid.

Guest Pistonbroke
but FIFA chief Sepp Blatter has defended it as a part of South African football culture.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article /ALeqM5j3vbSMaqg_pgOuWHjwPOeqNKXA0Q

Fuck off Blatter, you've probably bought shares in the company that makes the plastic shitty things. Won't be laughing when one set of fans who get a dodgy pen decision decide to pelt the officials with the things. Diving players getting whacked on the head.. etc etc Just know it's going to happen.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm hoping that when South Africa get a dodgy penalty the Mexican fans launch the horrid things at the officials thus prompting FIFA to ban the stupid fucking things.

You forget that most of us south africans have tickets to other games as well.

I hate the Vuvuzelas, and have bought ear muffs and plugs but theyre gonna stay throughout the world cup,...unfortunately

I spoke to a lot of guys who went to the Super 14 semi in Orlando and they said the vuvuzelas made the atmosphere really good. I'll reserve judgement until after the Brazil Ivory Coast game personally.