You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A bit controversial but....

Guest Super Sub

Guest Pistonbroke

Top 4 finish for me all the time. Guarantees money which the club needs. No guarantees what will happen if we don't finish outside the top 4 apart from the fact we'll be financially worse off.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've spluttered along like an old banger for the entire season. My expectations for a top 4 finish vanished a few months ago tbh, so if we somehow make it, will be a bonus and surprising, but may also continue to feed the level of complacency.

When all factors are taken into consideration, we don't deserve to even get 4th place imo. However, it may also may be the short sharp kick in the nads the club, and by that I mean the administration, needs to allow for a serious reflection and a reevaluation and refocusing of strategy from top to bottom to knock a bit of perspective back on what needs to be done to be successful again. Then again, could be wishful thinking.

Guest Pistonbroke
I'm a bit pissed off - to say the least - that we keep finishing outside the top 1.

Suppose we'll have to settle for 4th - blueshite did us a big favour last night. Still going to be difficult.

Blueshite are just 3 points behind us and also have an easy run in on paper. That would be a shitter if those wankers pulled it off.

How can people come on here and say that they would prefer to finish outside the top four as it will get the manager out? Because it won't. It will make him even more unsackable - we cannot afford the £30m that it would cost to pay him and his myriad of backroom staff off. We're even less likely to fork out for that if we finish 8th than if we finish fourth, which of course we did under Houllier in 2003-4.

Unless rafa is so shamed by finishing below Everton, he won't walk out on the club. So that means he is in charge next year, still being paid more than Wenger and Mancini, regardless of where we finish

I desperately want us to finish 4th - it will give the club a massive boost, and ultimately will not alone keep Hicks and Gillette at Anfield - they still need to find their £100m. I disagree with Rafa's negative tactics and would like to see a change of manager in the summer, but not so much that I want us to lose.

In terms of the Europa League, a whole season of that would be torture, it would be like watching the 'Das Boot' but only longer.

I desperately want us to finish 4th - it will give the club a massive boost, and ultimately will not alone keep Hicks and Gillette at Anfield - they still need to find their £100m. I disagree with Rafa's negative tactics and would like to see a change of manager in the summer, but not so much that I want us to lose.

In terms of the Europa League, a whole season of that would be torture, it would be like watching the 'Das Boot' but only longer.

A Strange thing about all this is that people seem to be suggesting that it will be easier to get rid of the Yanks if we finish outside the top 4. Where is the logic of that considering ALL the reports that are being produced around the "Investment" say that all the serious invstors are waiting to see what happens with Champs League qualification?

Are people suggesting that a club with less income will become a better investment for these people than a club with more?

Bizarre.

There's still a chance we can get 4th, but we'll clearly need to up our game.

I don't think any team has been great this season, if Spurs win their game in hand they're only 9 points behind the Mancs I think. I can't help but think of how we'd have done had we carried on even just a bit of our form from the back end of last season.

If spurs get 4th after playing united, chelsea, arsenal and city in the run in they will deserve it. Everybody is waiting for them to implode but it might not happen. They've waited a long, long, long time for it maybe this is their year.

I think City will be stronger next year and will really push on when that squad has a years experience playing together. They are stuttering a bit.

Villa can't seem to get a win.

We have to do what we haven't done all season - win 7 games. If we do that we should nick it if we don't well it wasn't lost in the last 7 games of the season.

It's disastrous to think we won't finish top four.

But deep down, in my hearts of hearts, I'd have no problem with Spurs finishing fourth, they've been the best team out of City, Us, Them and Villa this year by a mile.

We NEED to get Champions League football next year though.