You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shutter Island

Walton Park

I`ve read the book, it`s by Dennis Lehane and it`s excellent. The twist at the end is a right mind fuck that I didn`t see coming.

Hope the film does it justice.

Same here. I also recommend Mystic River and Gone, baby, Gone. which both is great films. Mystic River is awesome.

Dennis Lehane is a very good writer, imo.

Edited by Closer To God

Same here. I also recommend Mystic River and Gone, baby, Gone. which both is great films. Mystic River is awesome.

Dennis Lehane is a very good writer, imo.

Dennis Lehane was one of the writers for "The Wire", if I remember rightly.

Shutter Island was a great book by a terrific and original writer.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this yesterday as part of a cinema triple header and I really enjoyed it (even though the sofas in The Box at FACT are fucking awful to sit on and fucked with my back). I read the book last year and thought this did it justice, although it obviously loses something if you already know the twist. One problem I had with it is DiCaprio, though. For some reason, unlike with any other big film star (Tom Hanks, for example), I can't switch off from it being him to just see him as the character. Still, it was very good and it looks great on the screen. Scorsese went to town with the noir references.

What was the symbolism of the flying documents and then ashes in the flashback sequences?

I really enjoyed the film too and somehow didn't see the twist coming.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The ashes and documents were all linked to the struggle Andrew has with himself between the "story" he constructs so he doesn't have to live with his crime and facing the reality of it. So, the ashes were all about the invented arson attack that killed Dolores (his missus) and the documents were the proof of who he really is that the doctors had previously tried to confront him with but which he didn't want to acknowledge (remember the bit where he refuses to look at the proof that Mark Ruffalo's "under cover" doctor gives him).

I especially liked Andrew/Teddy's last line, which either isn't in the book or I didn't appreciate the significance of at the time. It suggests that he's just pretending to have regressed again because he can't live with the knowledge of his crime and so actually opts to be lobotomised. Great ending; really poignant.

I thought it was a cracking film. Very Hitchcockian in parts and you could tell that Scorsese was going to town on it.

I thought Di Caprio was pretty good in it, to be honest. He's an actor I really enjoy watching and he just seemed to slip into the role seamlessly. Good performances from the support as well; especially Kingsley.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The ashes and documents were all linked to the struggle Andrew has with himself between the "story" he constructs so he doesn't have to live with his crime and facing the reality of it. So, the ashes were all about the invented arson attack that killed Dolores (his missus) and the documents were the proof of who he really is that the doctors had previously tried to confront him with but which he didn't want to acknowledge (remember the bit where he refuses to look at the proof that Mark Ruffalo's "under cover" doctor gives him).

I especially liked Andrew/Teddy's last line, which either isn't in the book or I didn't appreciate the significance of at the time. It suggests that he's just pretending to have regressed again because he can't live with the knowledge of his crime and so actually opts to be lobotomised. Great ending; really poignant.

OK, I got the arson was invented, but is there any significance in the floating and billowing of the ashes and documents?

Yeah he definitely was aware of his condition at the end, as he only partially regresses.

OK, I got the arson was invented, but is there any significance in the floating and billowing of the ashes and documents?

Yeah he definitely was aware of his condition at the end, as he only partially regresses.

It symbolised his subconscious battle to confront reality. His brain was giving him clues about it all: the ashes symbolised the invented arson and the documents symbolised the reality of who he was. The two were colliding as he wanted to forget but the doctors wanted him to remember.

It symbolised his subconscious battle to confront reality. His brain was giving him clues about it all: the ashes symbolised the invented arson and the documents symbolised the reality of who he was. The two were colliding as he wanted to forget but the doctors wanted him to remember.
I am sure you are right about this, maybe I'm just a little underwhelmed. I was hoping for some knowing reference, or clue to what was to unfold.

• 1 month later...

when the woman takes the notebook from him and writes "run" on it, she ask for a glass of water, but when she picks the glass up and drinks from it, there is no glass in her hand, but when they change the angle she puts down the glass.

just thought it was a weird glitch or something

• 2 weeks later...

The part where Di Caprio is talking to Noyce - I thought this was a continuity error but as the camera angles switch, Noyce clearly has one hand on his head from the face on angle but from the back he hasn't.

If that's intentional I don't understand why. Also on the top of the cliff when Chuck has the 6th patient document and is trying to show him there's what looks like a continuity error with Chuck has his arm across DiCaprio in one shot and the next he doesn't.