You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rafa knows what babel is capable of at this stage and it's not holding the ball up. he was brought on yesterday to try and hit them on the break with his pace but the opportunity never arose. We never really had a break where we could free him up and exploit his pace because we generally just hammered the ball into the corners. I think he gave them something to think about and I wasn't disappointed how he played. Everyone played their part yesterday.

Ngog deserves his praise as well. he reminded me of Crouch a few times yesterday when he got control of the ball when he didn't look like he had any time. Of course he has the benefit of having a bit of pace about him as well so when he does this high up the field he can go himself instead of just being able to have to turn and look for support. he has plenty about his game to be a very good player.

Credit to rafa for finding him and sticking with him also.

Once, he was clean through one on one but the linesman gave him offside when he wasn't....wouldn't have had any confidence in him not tripping over his own feet by the time he got a shot off though.

I was impressed with him yesterday. I think the problem is that he can't be the sole striker in a 4-5-1 formation (and probably never will be able to), but can do a good job in a 4-4-2 formation. But he's only 20 - who knows?

£1.5m for Ngog, £10m for Babel. Absolutely no doubt yesterday who was the better buy. And no doubts who has more intelligence, and more heart.

Thats a pretty damning statement you make there about a 20 year old French under 21 international who has started only 7 games for Liverpool this year and come on as a substitute in 8 games, scoring 4 goals. Liverpool paid £1.5 million for this kid and that is what you get for £1.5 million although I would bet LFC would recoup more than double what they paid for him at this VERY early stage in his career. Why did Rafa pay £1.5 million for him? Because Rafa hasn't got a pot to pi*s in hence the reason we shop at Primark and not Harrods.

David Ngog may not reach the dizzy heights of Torres, Henry and Drogba but he will mature into a half decent striker given the opportunity. He is carrying the burden of great expectations on his shoulders at a time when Liverpool are in meltdown due to circumstances that run far beyond the David Ngog's of this world. The kid has done a half decent job in very difficult circumstances, give him a break. Fickle fans like you need to wise up, Rome was not built in a day and patience is a virtue.

On the money

Once, he was clean through one on one but the linesman gave him offside when he wasn't....wouldn't have had any confidence in him not tripping over his own feet by the time he got a shot off though.

True. forgot about that. We'll never know if he would've scored or not but that was exactly what rafa was looking from him yesterday and if the lino had've got his decision right then we might be hailing another rafa masterstroke and babel would have some confidence again.

All I'm saying is the lad is here til the end of the season and if we can get something out of him then it can only benefit the team.

There was also another one late on where we harassed an Everton player until he presented us with the ball & we had a 4 on 1 until Atkinson saved them with a ridiculous free kick decision.

N'Gog is coming along nicely. He is well worth his place in the squad and on the fringes of the team. Obviously there is a gap between his level and Nando's, and so when Nando is not playing we do not look nearly so potent. That is why many people have argued we need a better striker to come in, somone who is more experienced and so on.

But the flip side of that is that if we did have a better second striker, then we probably might not have seen N'Gog develop and turn into the useful player he is today. Instead, he would have been a young bag of nerves who would have eventually been sold on because he didn't make the grade with us.

Part of me thinks we have some excellent young strikers at the club and I want to see them given a chance. If Nando is injured then Dirk Kuyt should be the older, dependable back up striker to take some of the load off the young guns.

I'm not nearly so convinced that signing the likes of Chamakh or Jovanovic is what we need to do. Let some of the youngsters have a go. Let Dirk help them if Nando is out. Enough of the mid-range spackers. We have good kids. Let them loose or buy someone who is clearly much better. Anyhow, my point is now diverging, so I'll bring it back.

David N'Gog is doing just fine. He is a useful player. If he progresses even more, and that is not unreasonable to expect, then he could well be a very good player.

Sometimes he looks like he can't wait to get rid of the ball and seems terrified. Other times he holds onto it too long.

Sometimes he looks as powerful as a drink of water. Other times he shrugs people off.

Sometimes he has a touch like a baby elephant. Other times he has a touch, er, not like a baby elephant.

He's doing far better than I expected, and fair play to him. Hopefully he'll keep it up and, eventually, iron out the weaknesses in his game.

Thats a pretty damning statement you make there about a 20 year old French under 21 international who has started only 7 games for Liverpool this year and come on as a substitute in 8 games, scoring 4 goals. Liverpool paid £1.5 million for this kid and that is what you get for £1.5 million although I would bet LFC would recoup more than double what they paid for him at this VERY early stage in his career. Why did Rafa pay £1.5 million for him? Because Rafa hasn't got a pot to pi*s in hence the reason we shop at Primark and not Harrods.

David Ngog may not reach the dizzy heights of Torres, Henry and Drogba but he will mature into a half decent striker given the opportunity. He is carrying the burden of great expectations on his shoulders at a time when Liverpool are in meltdown due to circumstances that run far beyond the David Ngog's of this world. The kid has done a half decent job in very difficult circumstances, give him a break. Fickle fans like you need to wise up, Rome was not built in a day and patience is a virtue.

That's all well and good, but I don't recall the foundations of our past success being built on forwards who mature in to "half decent strikers".

Yes he's a nice young lad.

Yes, he tries.

And for that he'll always have my support at the match.

But none of teh above stops him being a distinctly very average player even on his best day.

It's not about "being patient" it's about him just not being good enough.

He's not good enough for LFC and he shouldn't be anywhere even near our first team. It's only because the manager has decimated our attacking options to the point of almost amusement that he even gets to wear football boots on a saturday.

That's all well and good, but I don't recall the foundations of our past success being built on forwards who mature in to "half decent strikers".

Yes he's a nice young lad.

Yes, he tries.

And for that he'll always have my support at the match.

But none of teh above stops him being a distinctly very average player even on his best day.

It's not about "being patient" it's about him just not being good enough.

He's not good enough for LFC and he shouldn't be anywhere even near our first team. It's only because the manager has decimated our attacking options to the point of almost amusement that he even gets to wear football boots on a saturday.

Nice of you to come along and have a pop at the manager, in a thread about a player. Yeah I know, it's all relevant, but............

............you just can't, can you.

Do you wake up every morning thinking about Rafa, and what a hopeless manager he is?

Nice of you to come along and have a pop at the manager, in a thread about a player. Yeah I know, it's all relevant, but............

............you just can't, can you.

Do you wake up every morning thinking about Rafa, and what a hopeless manager he is?

Well fuck me deep hard and dry in the arse for stating a fucking fact.

if there are serious problems with our strike force being the worst in living memory - so bad that we're RELYING on a player of N'Gog's calibre - then that isn't my fault, dickhead, it's the Managers.

Just watching the re-run of the game and he didn't half make a poor decision in the first half when he shot instead of playing a little reverse pass to Lucas. It was a great run from Lucas and N'Gog just didn't see it, he had his head down.

When Lucas was running in to space on the left?

yeah, that was the manager's fault too.

Well fuck me deep hard and dry in the arse for stating a fucking fact.

if there are serious problems with our strike force being the worst in living memory then that isn't my fault, dickhead, it's the Managers.

Cheers, twat.

Just making the point that once again you're trying to make this into a Rafa debate, which, as I've said above is relevant, but don't you get tired of slagging off the manager?

Each to their own, and all that, no problem with your opinion, cos that's what it's all about, but it gets just a tad boring after a while. We don't really need you to tell us again that you don't like the manager, we got that point in your 1,000000 post on the subject, and we don't need it rammed down our throats, day in, day out.

Your point is made, move on.

Cheers, twat.

Just making the point that once again you're trying to make this into a Rafa debate, which, as I've said above is relevant, but don't you get tired of slagging off the manager?

Each to their own, and all that, no problem with your opinion, cos that's what it's all about, but it gets just a tad boring after a while. We don't really need you to tell us again that you don't like the manager, we got that point in your 1,000000 post on the subject, and we don't need it rammed down our throats, day in, day out.

Your point is made, move on.

It's perfectly relevant though, isn't it!!

We're relying in a player of limited ability for one reason only.

I'm not having a go at the player for that, it isn't his fault, so don't have a go at me for pointing out what is a nailed on fucking fact. Cos that isn't my fault either.

It's perfectly relevant though, isn't it!! - Already said it is.

We're relying in a player of limited ability for one reason only. - yes.

I'm not having a go at the player for that, it isn't his fault, so don't have a go at me for pointing out what is a nailed on fucking fact. Cos that isn't my fault either.

- Never said you were having ago at the lad. Read my post(s) again, was moaning about the fact you were turning it into a Rafa debate. That is all.

- Never said you were having ago at the lad. Read my post(s) again, was moaning about the fact you were turning it into a Rafa debate. That is all.

But it IS a rafa debate.

I'm afraid he's the one constant in just about every footballing conversation you can have about Liverpool.

The fact that N'Gog is getting games is down to the fact that we simply have no other option. That's the managers fault. End of story.

I think it was definitely relevant to the thread, and I was well within my rights to say it without you having a pop.