You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

Really not liking the way someone like Tate is going on like he's some type of Neo/Morpheus figure. If some of his followers actually get into some of the ideas behind The Matrix and it helps change their views a bit, cool, but so many of them seem to be missing the point badly. Tate with his obsession with money, fame and acting like an idiot has a lot of the character Cypher in him I think, and many of his followers probably share similar traits.

I saw The Matrix trending though, partly due to his clowning and Musk tweeting matrix memes and it's also good to see some better tweets here and there pushing back against right wingers trying to co-opt it. There's a lot of other ideas from those films that could lead to good conversations too but not being tied up in right wing ideology and culture war crap would definitely help. Maybe if people are arguing over it for long enough more of that might eventually appear too here and there.

Mate, it's just a film; a decent film with a handful of shit sequels.  The whole "what if reality isn't really real?" cobblers has been a briefly diverting but ultimately pointless exercise in navel-gazing for two and a half millennia, ever since that butterfly dreamed it was Zhuang Zhou.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Mate, it's just a film; a decent film with a handful of shit sequels.  The whole "what if reality isn't really real?" cobblers has been a briefly diverting but ultimately pointless exercise in navel-gazing for two and a half millennia, ever since that butterfly dreamed it was Zhuang Zhou.

It's actually quite a bit more than that to a lot of people in the East and those that follow one or more Eastern philosophies/religions : Maya.

Anyway this is a twitter thread and not a philosophy one (it's more philosophy than religion to me) so I'll try not to ramble on.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's actually quite a bit more than that to a lot of people in the East and those that follow one or more Eastern philosophies/religions : Maya.

Anyway this is a twitter thread and not a philosophy one (it's more philosophy than religion to me) so I'll try not to ramble on.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If your take away from Andrew Tate has anything to do with the Matrix you are blinkered.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If your take away from Andrew Tate has anything to do with the Matrix you are blinkered.

Pretty sure the only connection to the Matrix is the 'red-pilled' shite the incel/ 4Chan bellends use to pretend they've achieved some measure of enlightenment and hidden knowledge not available to the normies.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Pretty sure the only connection to the Matrix is the 'red-pilled' shite the incel/ 4Chan bellends use to pretend they've achieved some measure of enlightenment and hidden knowledge not available to the normies. Of course the revealed wisdom is that women are cunts and should sleep with fat edgelords rather than people they actually fancy.

Missed out a sentence- as above.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

53ZIerU.gif

I've read a few things on him at this point and there's been plenty of fucked up stuff contained, it's because of that that I don't like seeing the Matrix quotes he's done recently on twitter (only a few but still sucks) and his fairly regular mentions of it.

Tate rails against reality, which is odd, as reality seems to have treated him quite well.  

He rails against the world order, and yet attacks Thunberg who has done more to upset the world order than Tate ever will.  

The truth about Tate is that he's very likely got very little say in what comes out of his mouth due to a pretty complex set of disorders.  Grandiose statements, messianic, impulsive, violent, just a few things bubbling to the surface. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

53ZIerU.gif

I've read a few things on him at this point and there's been plenty of fucked up stuff contained, it's because of that that I don't like seeing the Matrix quotes he's done recently on twitter (only a few but still sucks) and his fairly regular mentions of it.

Not you - meant his fanboys.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Good old Mr Benn. A bit of history. Their was one book out of fourteen the bbc refused to make, they deemed it too controversial. Mr Benn the Convict.

In it Mr Benn is disillusioned by the drab surroundings of prison life and decides to amongst other things brighten it up by painting the cells. Mr Benn was apparently one the most popular programmes shown in jail and the BBC thought the Convict episode could put ideas in prisoners heads.

https://www.britishclassiccomedy.co.uk/mr-benn-1971

Edit; Ironically half of the BBC presenters ended up in there for real. So the moralising might have backfired a bit.

• Upvote 2