You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

We need to keep Xabi for at least one more year regardless. We are going into a season where United are significantly weaker, where Chelsea are much the same but with yet another new manager, where Arsenal are taking small steps but not yet strides forward and where City are still a year or two away from a serious challengie. I think next season is our best chance yet (and yes I know we say that every year) and possibly our only chance to do it in the forseeable future.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone still think Xabi is going to stay? I think it'd be more suprising than when Gerrard changed his mind if he did.

I think there are genuine issues with Madrid raising the money in time. They've spent all their cash and need to sell now but no-one appears interested in leaving!

I think he'll stay.

It certainly looks that way. Hopefully he is staying because he wants to stay, rather than Real Madrid refusing to meet Liverpool's valuation.

I wonder what impact this will have on Rafa's budget if he does stay?

I'm not arsed about the budget to be honest, I'll be glad that we're able to keep our central midfield partnership together. I still think we've got around £20mill left so it's up to Rafa to use it wisely.

If that is the case, and we can still bring in Silva/Young and a quality back up striker by wheeling and dealing, as well as keeping Alonso and Mascherano then we should be in great shape for next season.

Guillem Balague Football Website | Benitez meeting today could determine Alonso future

Benitez meeting today could determine Alonso future

A number of Liverpool fans, tired of the endless speculation, have been in touch asking when we can finally draw a line under the Xabi Alonso saga...

I can tell you that we may not have to wait very long. Real Madrid will be eagerly anticipating the outcome of Xabi Alonso`s meeting with Rafa Benitez today: the first time that the Liverpool coach and midfielder have met in person since the end of last season. Alonso has spoken with Benitez on numerous occasions in recent weeks, but today presents the player with an opportunity to convince his manager, face to face, to allow him to fulfil his ambition of signing for Real Madrid.

The mood and outcome of these talks are pivotal: Real Madrid know their latest bid of €27 million falls short of Liverpool`s lowest valuation and, at this moment in time, the Spanish club are not prepared to increase their offer.

Contrary to recent reports, Real Madrid did not recently make a bid lower than any previous offer and there has been no contact between the two clubs since that €27 million proposal.

Dependent upon how talks go between the player and coach, Real Madrid will be holding out for a conciliatory gesture from Anfield in order to revive the deal. Meanwhile, Liverpool are holding out for an improved offer from Madrid – and there is a sense that the two parties are not as far apart as has been suggested, despite the fact there remains an €8 million difference between bid and valuation.

Xabi may be forced into publicly stating his desire to leave and clarify why he feels that after five years at the club, now is a reasonable time to move on - and the days following these talks are critical. All parties want the matter resolved as soon as possible: Benitez would like to finalise his preparations for next season and does not want to be presented with a late, urgent need to replace a key player in his squad; while Real Madrid must endeavour to offload several of their own players in order to secure revenue following a summer of free spending, not to mention feeing up space in an overloaded squad.

Dependant upon the outcome of these discussions between Benitez and Alonso, and a degree of compromise on the part of both clubs, we could be talking about the deal being on or off within the next 24 hours. Either way, I would be bold enough to suggest that all will be resolved, either way, within the next week.

I'd take Sneijder - we forget that not so long ago he was a far more high profile player than even Xabi. He is a great player.

Sneijder is a great player, but he doesn't play in the same position as Alonso, so that means that Rafa will still need to find a replacement for him.

Didn't Benitez say we had the funding for one more signing, and that was without Alonso being sold? Keeping Alonso is the most important thing, as it keeps the shape of the team.

That's the long and short of it. Selling Alonso would mean making wholesale changes to how the team operates.

"Dependent upon how talks go between the player and coach, Real Madrid will be holding out for a conciliatory gesture from Anfield in order to revive the deal."

This can't be right, surely? What the fuck are Madrid on? Seriously, the only gesture I'd make towards these arrogant bastards would involve bearing my hairy arse in their direction.

I'd take Sneijder - we forget that not so long ago he was a far more high profile player than even Xabi. He is a great player.

i.d rather keep xabi. But should he leave sneijder and 20 million would be good. Lets just hope that those who have said xabi hates rafa are wrong and he stays.

I think this place will resemble a war zone once Xabi has had his say and I think a lot of you are jumping the gun but some time tomorrow, Tuesday at the very latest Xabi will have to speak to the Media and I think it will be very clear then which way this will go however the only fact we know for sure is Xabi had to return to pre-season training or get fined. Everything else is just a guess and the following could be the real situation.

1 Xabi realized how much he loved Rafa and has decide to forgive him for the way he was treated last summer and give 150% next season

2 Real Madrid have indicated to Xabi they are not prepared to increase there bid and the only way forward is for him to ask to leave.

3 Xabi believes that Rafa really wants to sell him anyway and is going to stay to call Rafa’s bluff and fuck up Rafa’s transfer dealings in the process.

4 Xabi has decided to do a deal with Rafa along the Ronaldo lines in return for an agree price at which he can be sold out but less than we currently want.

5 Xabi intends to tell Rafa he still wants to leave but not inform the press of that fact.

Now it could be anyone of those above or a combination thereof and the bottom line is we just don’t know but the last 20 posts of this thread indicate the way this forum will go when everything comes out into the open.

I am going to sit back and wait, If Rafa hadn’t had leaked that Xabi wanted to leave then I think it would be a lot easier for him to stay but lets wait and see what happens.

"Dependent upon how talks go between the player and coach, Real Madrid will be holding out for a conciliatory gesture from Anfield in order to revive the deal."

This can't be right, surely? What the fuck are Madrid on? Seriously, the only gesture I'd make towards these arrogant bastards would involve bearing my hairy arse in their direction.

They really are a shower of cunts, were sorry we refused a bid for one of our best players as a good will gesture we'll give you Arbeloa for free, facist wankers.

Not sure about this one more year. Xabi isnt Ronaldo. If he doesnt go this summer, Madrid will probably buy someone else. They may well not want or need Alonso next year.

All the better for us then.

A "on-the-one hand and on-the-other hand" piece by Balague.

He is wrong in saying that RM made a bid of 27 million. They didn't. Through channels they have tried to find out what LFC's reaction would be to 27 million and what offer would be acceptable if and when Alonso puts in a written transfer request. LFC have made no formal response to RM because Alonso is not for sale. LFC have made informal remarks about Alonso's value in much the same way Rafa said that Mascherano would not be sale for 50 million.

Balague is right to say that Alonso had already agreed personal terms with RM which includes a pay raise. He might also have added it includes a signing-on fee and an agent's fee. He leaves out the bit where RM agreed those terms on the understanding that Alonso (and his agent) would help them achieve a transfer price lower than a certain figure. It was only after this deal with Alonso that RM made their soundings at LFC.

Alonso and his agents dealings with the press (especially with Bascombe when the agent divulged to him his version of the confidential meeting with Rafa - which Rafa later said was all about football and not about a possible transfer) were part of those efforts to stampede LFC into agreeing a transfer at the lower price.

That part of the Alonso/RM scheme is already a failure hence RM's need to know what figure LFC would accept if Alonso puts in a transfer request. LFC will not respond formally to these feelers. If Alonso puts in a written transfer request then LFC might.

RM may never put in a formal bid because they never wanted Alonso above that certain figure. They are not at all sure they want to go much above that bargain price.

All the above in my opinion.

Edited by diego