You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kuyt has been good lately because he has upped his goal return, but he is deffo someone we can improve on since I dont see him as either a great striker or a great wide player/winger.

He is slow, he has an erratic first touch, he make some strange decisions outside the box, his crosses are poor, his passing is very wasteful at times and he often loses posession too easily.

I have always said Kuyt is an intelligent player as he often make the right runs, but because he is so damn slow he has a tendency of arriving the one second too late most of the time, I also think he is a good finisher when the ball falls at his feet inside the box as he usually finds target.

For me Kuyt should be a squad player like Benayoun is today, if he was I dont think I would have bothered much with him, but because he starts almost every game and hardly ever gets subbed his faults annoys me more than what the good things he does satisfies me, thats just the way it is guess, but like others have said he is on a good run and I would never have engaged in a discussion about him if people had not gone a bit over board in their praise of him, sometimes someone needs to balance things out I guess, if not there would never be a debate.

I think Kuyt has been good lately because he has upped his goal return, but he is deffo someone we can improve on since I dont see him as either a great striker or a great wide player/winger.

He is slow, he has an erratic first touch, he make some strange decisions outside the box, his crosses are poor, his passing is very wasteful at times and he often loses posession too easily.

I have always said Kuyt is an intelligent player as he often make the right runs, but because he is so damn slow he has a tendency of arriving the one second too late most of the time, I also think he is a good finisher when the ball falls at his feet inside the box as he usually finds target.

For me Kuyt should be a squad player like Benayoun is today, if he was I dont think I would have bothered much with him, but because he starts almost every game and hardly ever gets subbed his faults annoys me more than what the good things he does satisfies me, thats just the way it is guess, but like others have said he is on a good run and I would never have engaged in a discussion about him if people had not gone a bit over board in their praise of him, sometimes someone needs to balance things out I guess, if not there would never be a debate.

You have not said a single thing that I can argue against.

But you must see the good that someone like Kuyt does in a game when the team needs him the most.

He will force defenders into errors, will hold play, will assist in goals, play a part in the build up, cover the fullback, block the opposition fullback, score in the box, score out of the box, has great movement to pull defeners away from the ball, makes some last ditch tackels AND never, never stops running.

Meet me half way will ya.....

I have no problem with that, but what I do not understand as my first post in this thread pointed out is why Kuyt is being praised for all his "hard work", when the one player who actually works the hardest and cover most ground in our team in almost every single game never gets praise for it and instead of being promised to start every game is probably about to be sold.

I have no problem with that, but what I do not understand as my first post in this thread pointed out is why Kuyt is being praised for all his "hard work", when the one player who actually works the hardest and cover most ground in our team in almost every single game never gets praise for it and instead of being promised to start every game is probably about to be sold.

I have giving you points as to why Rafa praises Kuyt.

I cant tell you why Rafa praises Kuyt over Alonso as it would just be a theory. Only Rafa knows.

It can however mean only one thing in my book, it pains me though to say it....Rafa actually thinks Kuyt is irreplaceable, Alonso on the other hand isnt!

Alonso is viewed by all of us a master passer of the great game.

What I dont understand is why Rafa is taking this stance!!

I could jog around the centre circle for 90 minutes...I couldn't run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes though. Stop twisting stats.

Thats frankly bollocks WhiskyJar, most of Kuyts hard work comes from chasing balls he`s lost himself, if he actually can bother trying to win them back though, I`ve noticed loads this season where he just jogs or stands there letting his man go after losing the ball.

Never commented on off course by the Kuyt lovers monkey brigade on here, negging is more their thing.

Kuyt is a chaser, its a damn shame he is so bloody slow he hardly gets there before the ball is a completely different place already.

Attention-Caution.jpg

I asked you about this before and you said you didn't have the stats for "almost every single game". Do you or don't you?

I cant argue with much there, especially on finishing and touch - but his crossing is something which has struck me as good...

Our attacking midfield players need to be the difference when we are playing shit or losing, thats when to judge how good Kuyt is and frankly he is usually pants when the team are not playing well. He has won me over with his performances these past few weeks, but the acid test if when we are off form and need to break down shit teams.

Agree with most of this.

Goals:

Kuyt: 46 starts - 14 goals - 0,30 goals pr start.

Benayoun: 24 starts - 8 goals - 0,33 goals pr start.

Babel: 13 starts - 4 goals - 0,30 goals pr start

Assists:

Kuyt: 46 starts - 9 assists - 0,19 assists pr start

Benayoun: 24 starts - 6 assists - 0,25 assists pr start

Babel: 13 starts - 5 assists - 0,38 assists pr start

With the same confidence shown to them, who knows what these two others players would have done compared to what Kuyt has done this season?

If you're only going to count starts, then I'm afraid you can't count goals or assists by players when they came on as a sub. So Babel's goals against West Ham or Man Utd can't count towards your stats. As he obviously wasn't statistically playing in the game.

So now he’s down to 13 starts - 2 goals, or 0.15 goals per game. Twice as bad as Kuyt when he starts! No wonder Rafa hasn’t picked him as often!

i am surprised people dont want to improve the team, there are obviously better players than kuyt out there and we want to be the best. Kuyt is vital in certain types of games but in some he is useless.

It is a squad game and the right wing slot needs an injection of class to compliment dirk's graft

I get fed up of most discussions on here about Dirk. It always goes the same way. If he gets critisized some people try and make out he's fucking excellent. Then they accuse the people who critisize him of "being idiots" which frankly, i find pathetic. You won't find one person who thinks he is at the level of a Torres or a Gerrard, but if you give critisize him you're immediatley accused of making him out to be a wife beater when in fact, no one is.

Changed the top part arond for you, because exactly the opposite of what you say in your piece, is how I see it. But as Brownie, I've said my piece on him.

Kuyt is our Carra in attack. Not the most talented, but will sacrifice his body for the team. Quite effective too goals and assists wise.

In the top leagues, IMO only Ronaldo, Messi and Ribery have been more effective than Kuyt in the "winger" role. No one will argue that he is more talented than those 3, but if we can't get any of those 3 stated, who would you replace Kuyt with? Would a Joaquin-like player have as many assists or score more goals? Bird in hand better than 2 in the bush?

snez1 making more sense than others on the thread.

The absence of gerrard and torres in our team has (probably lost us the league). Dirk has started I think 44 matches, being subbed in only a handful o matches. We've scored the most goals in the league despite the absence of the aforementioned stars yet Dirk isn't good enough. Erm ok.

He's easily the 3rd best player this year. Morses MOTM stats will probably back that up. Who has been consistent this year? Alonso in 90% I'd say but the whole team had a blip midseason. United had a blip, ronaldo was shit for the first third.

Relying on just stats is just lazy argueing. Dirk is a fucking pain to play agaisnt as when he's not losing his maker with his intelligent position play he's first to defend from the front. He scores, he assists, he's a fucking god.

snez1 making more sense than others on the thread.

The absence of gerrard and torres in our team has (probably lost us the league). Dirk has started I think 44 matches, being subbed in only a handful o matches. We've scored the most goals in the league despite the absence of the aforementioned stars yet Dirk isn't good enough. Erm ok.

He's easily the 3rd best player this year. Morses MOTM stats will probably back that up. Who has been consistent this year? Alonso in 90% I'd say but the whole team had a blip midseason. United had a blip, ronaldo was shit for the first third.

Relying on just stats is just lazy argueing. Dirk is a fucking pain to play agaisnt as when he's not losing his maker with his intelligent position play he's first to defend from the front. He scores, he assists, he's a fucking god.

Woah - autocorrect on the iphone while on the shitter makes for interesting reading.

Changed the top part arond for you, because exactly the opposite of what you say in your piece, is how I see it. But as Brownie, I've said my piece on him.

Its the same from both sides and it happens with a lot of players. Its the nature of arguing on an internet forum. You either:-

1) Exaggerate the players deficiencies/abilities depending on your point of view

2) Make favourable/unfavourable comparisons with other players depending on your point of view.

Their is also a third way

3) "Use" Stats

and a fourth, but its only used by those who believe they are the only ones with google

3) Make shit up.

Its the same from both sides and it happens with a lot of players. Its the nature of arguing on an internet forum. You either:-

1) Exaggerate the players deficiencies/abilities depending on your point of view

2) Make favourable/unfavourable comparisons with other players depending on your point of view.

Their is also a third way

3) "Use" Stats

and a fourth, but its only used by those who believe they are the only ones with google

3) Make shit up.

There's also the issue that people type what they'd say, but it comes out differently. I.e. if you were at the match or in the pub watching the game and muttered "fucking hell Riera what the fuck was that thats fuckin shit!" it would sound fairly mild, I'm pretty sure we all do it through nerves and that. If you type "riera is fucking shit" during a match thread it makes you look like a moaning hysterical arse.

There's also the issue that people type what they'd say, but it comes out differently. I.e. if you were at the match or in the pub watching the game and muttered "fucking hell Riera what the fuck was that thats fuckin shit!" it would sound fairly mild, I'm pretty sure we all do it through nerves and that. If you type "riera is fucking shit" during a match thread it makes you look like a moaning hysterical arse.

Well in all fairness one is an outburst, the other is an action (not the best descriptions). I am a twat for using players that I don't like and blaming them for everything, my mates always skit me because they think I refuse to give Alonso any credit! Which is fair enough as I point out his faults a lot more than I point out other players, which is the reason I can understand how people view Dirk in a negative light.

I think Dirk has been excellent this year, but he can be improved upon, as can Riera and (awaits the shelling) as can Alonso, but Dirk alongside Alonso have been our best players this year outside Gerrard and Reina and if you can't accept that side of the argument then you end up looking like a fool, fine have your reservations but you need to at least be big enough to say 'fair enough he's been excellent' rather than scrabbling around for any statistic that suits your current need! Apparently Babel was great against Liege because he put ONE cross in, whereas Dirk ONLY scored!