You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the way people pontificate on this forum, and offer what is no more than personal opinion as unadorned fact. How do you know Rafa doesn't need to sell Xabi to raise funds? How do you know how much money - if any - the two cowboys are giving him? How do you know we can that, if we NEED to raise money, we can do that by selling other players - if noone bids for Babel, Voronin, etc, but someone bids for Xabi early in the window, then Rafa is faced with a very very difficult decision. And finally how do you KNOW that Xabi isn't tempted by Real Madrid - his agent has met with Perez and is doing a pretty good job of keeping the issue alive even when Rafa AND the club have categorically said they don't want to sell him? There were lots of rumours last year that Xabi was unsettled, and that his missus wanted to return to Spain.

I don't mind debating opinion, but I do object when people pontificate and make assertions without ANY of us being privileged enough to know the facts. And I'm sorry, brownie, but you've been making a lot of these assertions of late and it's time you were made to question them!

I'm not pontificating at all, i'm just making the point that IN MY OPINION, we don't NEED to sell Alonso. We can generate funds in other ways, if needs be. I just don't want people to presume that the potential sale of Alonso is a neccesary act on the half of Benitez as a gesture of financial constraint.

I take 05Milan's point on board and accept that Rafa may believe that he can strengthen the team by replacing Alonso with Barry and using any excess cash to finance other signings.

I suppose it comes back to last years argument of whether swapping those two players will be beneficial to the team in the long term.

Is there a possiblity that selling Alonso could indirectly improve the team? Of course there is. Is there a possiblity that it could weaken the team, also? Yes, and IMO the odds are more in favour of the latter.

This doesn't just come down to finances though, there are man factors involved, such as the English quota on players, the personal relationship between the manager and the player in question, what happened last summer etc.

The only point i'm making here, is that Rafa doesn't HAVE to sell Alonso at all and i'd be very disappointed if it became an accepted truth (as can happen on here) - it would be his decision and he would live and die by the results of it.

in my eyes he does have to sell alonso now for the sake of this forum, we seem to be stuck in a perpetual state of discussing it and nothing will ever change that now unless he sells him.

I think the only thing that could actually stop it would be the club being taken over and way more cash becoming available. If that does happen I hope they arrive before the window opens. There's always a chance...heh.

I think the only thing that could actually stop it would be the club being taken over and way more cash becoming available. If that does happen I hope they arrive before the window opens. There's always a chance...heh.

no, there would still be the 'stubborn Rafa' crowd insisting that he wants xabi sold because he insulted his family or whatever he did.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has rebuffed a €22 million bid from Premier League giants Liverpool for Argentine star Ezequiel Lavezzi.

The 24-year-old has been frequently associated with a move away from the San Paolo in recent weeks, with the Italian press suggesting that his agent, Alejandro Manzoni, has been in talks with Juventus.

It is claimed the Vesuviani were approached by an unnamed emissary on behalf of the Merseyside outfit, however, De Laurentiis said no to the initial bid.

Things could change at the start of next week, though. Manzoni is reportedly arranging a direct meeting between the two clubs for Monday.

Lavezzi is tied to the Campani until 2013 but there have been reports his representatives will seek a considerable pay rise at the end of the season.

The former San Lorenzo man, who has netted seven goals in 28 league appearances this season, currently earns €1.3m per season at the San Paolo. Liverpool are allegedly prepared to offer him a salary of €4m to lure him to Anfield.

Lavezzi has been sidelined with a muscular problem since Napoli’s 1-0 win over Inter last month but he could be back in action against Catania this weekend.

I really hope something happens on this front.

I really hope something happens on this front.

I don't think we'll get Lavezzi as I unsuccesfully tried to buy him three times in Pro Evolution Soccer yesterday.

Ribery on the other hand is currently gracing the number 7 shirt playing on the left wing for me.

Riise and Babel on the flank. I'd be selling my left sided season ticket ASAP.

haha same here.

i do think that the lazy cunt would do ok there, considering its probably the slowest football in the world

Ronaldhino is like speedy gonzales over there. oh wait :| he was slow too.