You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

i think thats got to be it, he's not that much better than Riera to justify it otherwise

hopefully with relegation he wont cost much more than we'll get for Riera

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in Downing if that's the case. Ability-wise, I don't think there's much between the two. Hopefully we'd be able to make a profit on Riera and be able to bring Downing in on the cheap if Boro go down.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing "has emerged". That really is a nothing piece. Boro looking like they are going down, previous interest in Downing, easy journalism. I am not saying we aren't interested, but that report has nothing to it.

Note (1) that nobody has put their name to the story and (2) that it contains zero content (in the way of even unattributed quotes and the like).

I'm trying to convince myself that this will never happen...

I might go off Rafa if he buys Downing. He just never seems to learn in the transfer market. I'd rather spunk the lot on someone like Robben than sign 2 or 3 mid range players.

After the disatrous transfer activity last summer, I have a bad feeling it's gonna be the same if we end up with the likes of Barry and Downing who are both nothing "invisible" players, who are gonna cost us at least £20m.

I have got too be honest, I don't see why there is all this hate about him?

At this moment he is certainly no world beater but I think he has stagnated, mainly due to the fact he has stayed loyal to a bag of shite like Boro. He has more pace, a lot more pace than Rierra so would certainly improve that side of things, and I do think pace is important in the premiership and can compensate for a lot. I think he is better than Valencia of Wigan, who they are quoting 15-18 mill for, he is better than Nani again 18 mill, a more intelligent player than Lennon who is also being quoted in the 15-20 mill bracket. There are not that many left/right wingers out there at the moment, so it is understandable to see why Rafa is looking at him. Bare in mind, United have just paid out 20 million for two teenage wingers!

Personally I would prefer Silva but for 10 mill I wouldn't be that downcast, he will be playing with much, much better players here which will improve him no end, Rafa has shown he can get more out of players (granted not all) given their willingness to work hard and learn.

Could do a hell of a lot worse than Downing, a hell of a lot worse.

Note (1) that nobody has put their name to the story and (2) that it contains zero content (in the way of even unattributed quotes and the like).

I'm trying to convince myself that this will never happen...

The story is made up, but Rafa was after Downing last year, so what it stays may still be true. I am not sure what to think. I think Babel will be the player that plays on the left who will go. If babel goes and downing comes in for roughly the same money and we do other deals so it becomes a side note, then it woon't bother me. It hardly thrills me, but i do think he is an OK player, just not one I will get too excited at.

After the disatrous transfer activity last summer, I have a bad feeling it's gonna be the same if we end up with the likes of Barry and Downing who are both nothing "invisible" players, who are gonna cost us at least £20m.

Expensive squad players who might end up replacing Alonso and Riera. That would be a nightmare.

Guest Mutley
if we end up with the likes of Barry and Downing who are both nothing "invisible" players

I think we will. And possibly Johnson and another striker.

I'd be so disappointed if we got Downing, he's about on par with Riera overall. Having Riera and Downing as our left side options isn't that exciting both are decent players but not exceptional talents.

If we sold Riera and got Downing I could deal with that as long as we didn't lose to much money on the deal then we could still get a David Silva or whoever in.

Guest Mutley

We could do a whole lot better too, which we need to do if we want to make the next step next season as clubs around us will certainly looking to be bringing in proven quality. I doubt any of them will be in for Downing.

It's another case of the manager signing average hard working players who will follow his tactics to the letter instead of signing genuine quality. It's not as if he's cheap either, so Rafa can't cry poverty if he fails.

Guest Mutley
I'd be so disappointed if we got Downing, he's about on par with Riera overall. Having Riera and Downing as our left side options isn't that exciting both are decent players but not exceptional talents.

If we sold Riera and got Downing I could deal with that as long as we didn't lose to much money on the deal then we could still get a David Silva or whoever in.

Silva would cost around 25 million. Rafa would rather spread his budget around than sign that one special player.

At this moment he is certainly no world beater but I think he has stagnated, mainly due to the fact he has stayed loyal to a bag of shite like Boro. He has more pace, a lot more pace than Rierra so would certainly improve that side of things, and I do think pace is important in the premiership and can compensate for a lot. I think he is better than Valencia of Wigan, who they are quoting 15-18 mill for, he is better than Nani again 18 mill, a more intelligent player than Lennon who is also being quoted in the 15-20 mill bracket. There are not that many left/right wingers out there at the moment, so it is understandable to see why Rafa is looking at him. Bare in mind, United have just paid out 20 million for two teenage wingers!

Personally I would prefer Silva but for 10 mill I wouldn't be that downcast, he will be playing with much, much better players here which will improve him no end, Rafa has shown he can get more out of players (granted not all) given their willingness to work hard and learn.

Agreed.

Sound logic.

Downing is anything but the finished article and from what I have seen of him he might just be the next best thing if with a little guidance and training from world class stars like Gerrard, Torres and Alonso.

He would be perfect for we need right now and if he is willing to work hard, then we might just turn him into world class. He is not now but he has the potential to become one.

If we train him for the left side and then get a goot right winger or stick with Babel then our fullbacks will not be the only thing the opposition will worry about next season.

A gooner mate of mine reckons the injuries have caught up with him and he hasn't got the burst of pace he used to, thinks he's nowhere near as much of a threat as a couple of years back.

Yeah he ticks every box, then he does a shit in each of them, sets them on fire and throws them at the manager.

As for Tevez, he plays left of a three for Argentina, always has done really, besides, it's not like he wouldn't get a chance to play up front, it'd give us plenty of options. I wonder if Rafa saying Gerrard can play all around midfield last week was for Tevez's benefit. If world class talent is available and you can get the money together then you buy him. I'd rather get Tevez than a winger who "might" be good enough.

I think United are prepared to let him leave because they have Rooney who is similar. I've said for years though, Tevez is a better player.

tevez better than rooney? yikes...

Sound logic.

Downing is anything but the finished article and from what I have seen of him he might just be the next best thing if with a little guidance and training from world class stars like Gerrard, Torres and Alonso.

He would be perfect for we need right now and if he is willing to work hard, then we might just turn him into world class. He is not now but he has the potential to become one.

If we train him for the left side and then get a goot right winger or stick with Babel then our fullbacks will not be the only thing the opposition will worry about next season.

The thing is though, he's 25 in July. When can we actually expect him to be the finished article?

In my opinion he's never shown anything but the ability to be an average left winger.

Rafa should swerve him & Barry (if it's to replace Xabi) for one major reason. The supporters will never be with either of them, ever.

Sad but true.

we need english and he is probably the cheapest half decent option out there who would be better amongst better players and canhelp us against the shite at anfield.

I will not be thrilled but i think he would be a good option. Barry, downing and tevez are the loudest rumours it seems. would still need an rb and a striker after that imo.

we need english and he is probably the cheapest half decent option out there who would be better amongst better players and canhelp us against the shite at anfield.

I will not be thrilled but i think he would be a good option. Barry, downing and tevez are the loudest rumours it seems. would still need an rb and a striker after that imo.

Another striker? Surely Torres, Tevez, Gerrard, Kuyt, N'Gog, and possibly Nemeth would be more than adequate?