You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd Vs Villa

hamstrung

We really were. On such things are titles decided. They compare it to Bruces headers in the 7 mins overtime back the first time they won it. It's not that far off in terms of momentum and importance.

It would have still been a fight of course it would but it would have destroyed any belief they had left that they could win it and I expect that they would have dropped enough points for us to take the title. And for us it would have really give us the extra confidence to go on.

Sunday's game was a bitter blow but it's absurdly presumptuous to suggest we would have cruised the title without it. None of our players have experienced the pressure of sustaining a title lead this late in a season. Indeed, our recent form has had much to do with the liberating effects of the underdog role. Being declared "favorites" by pundits and fans would have completely changed those psychological dynamics. The best time to overtake the filth is mid-May, not early April.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it looks like Alan Hansen and I share the same view. But what does he know.

' This makes it all the harder for the Liverpool players, who, after watching this amazing turnaround, will be absolutely distraught. They are convinced that they are right back in the title race and then United produce two late goals out of nothing. So Liverpool will be affected by this. Anyone who tells you that this type of result does not affect individuals or the team are the ones who have not been there and do not understand what has happened.

Make no mistake: if United had been beaten here, I do not think they would have won the championship. I thought all along that they were going to win it, even after Liverpool beat Fulham, but if they had lost I believe it would have been all over for them.

Instead they head into their Champions League match against Porto tomorrow night with renewed confidence. If they are going to win more trophies, they will have to play better than they did here – but this was not about the performance, this was all about three points. I can just imagine what it was like in the United dressing room last night. Ferguson would have said: "We have won absolutely nothing and there is still a long way to go." But he will be one mightily relieved manager. '

I never said we would cruise to it. I just said we would have won it.

It would have been positivbe obviously, but the suggestion we were "12 minutes away from winning the league", while a nice soundbite, is nonsense. Whatever Alan Hansen might say.

Well I side with Hansen. If Utd had lost we would have won it. I guess we will just differ on our opinion of how big Sunday was.

It's irrelevant anyway as they won. We still need to believe that it is far from won. Keep the pressure on them and see if they crack. Thats why I am glad it is a CL week as we can forget the league for now and concentrate on a big game tomorrow.

It will also be interesting to see how Utd do tonight.

Nonsense.

Hansen's been in title races, he ought to know better.

We gained six points in 2 matches, now we can't gain 4 in 7/8? Hardly.

Or Hansen has been in title races so he knows how results like that can affect a teams confidence. Look how we were after the Fulham result. That's how Utd will be after Sunday.

I still think we can win it, and that's why it will be interesting tonight how Utd play. If they look shaky and struggle then I'll have hope that it is still on. If they blow Porto away 3-0 or so with a confident display, then I'd worry about them dropping more points in the league run in.

Presumably, then, them winning on Sunday means we have definitely lost it?

Bugger.

Talk about 20 minutes to define your season. My Dad was saying the same as that fella Rustyjeffears. I think it was more trying not to jinx anything than anything else.

I get the point where he is coming from with the momentum and shit but as we showed in Istanbul it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Had they lost there would have been a legitimate title race but with them as slight favourites.

Now they have won it is pretty much all over.

i) They had 1 of the weakest sides of the last few years due to injuries,etc

ii) That was their hardest game on the handicap

iii) The PL is institutionally corrupt: the idea that they might welcome an Lfc win to help sell overseas TV rights which had been gaining ground was shot down by the 5 minutes of Fergie time

They still yield 37% on Betfair for 7 weeks work. You won't find a better investment anywhere in the world

Talk about 20 minutes to define your season. My Dad was saying the same as that fella Rustyjeffears. I think it was more trying not to jinx anything than anything else.

I get the point where he is coming from with the momentum and shit but as we showed in Istanbul it ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Things like Sunday can shape a season.

But no it is not over until we drop points or Utd win enough games to put it out of reach. I will keep believing and cheering them on until then.

Some people are missing a very simple fact (imo) regarding filth's late win. And that is villa and arse were the best possible chances out of their games left for them to be beaten. citeh may come into the equation but they are so unpredictable you never can tell.

Yes, its possible some of the other teams they have to play could pull off a shock but I cant see where its going to come from.

While its still mathematically possible, there's still hope. But, let's not ignore the fact that a massive chance for them to drop 3 points in a rapidly reducing number of games to go, has been lost.

Just to reiterate again, nobody thought they would lose to Fulham. It's a funny old game.

Fulham are in a good run of form Zig. Apart from arse, I dont think they have to play a team as high as them in the prem. And after we'd given them a good hiding, they were ripe to be taken again just as they were sunday after Fulham beat them.

People are expecting the likes of sunderland, portsmouth, spurs, wigan or hull to turn them over in addition to arse? You got to be kidding.

Sunday's result is a massive fillip to them. It also sends a message to those very clubs we're expecting to take points off them. Love to agree with you on this Zig but I just cant see it. Sorry.

Fulham are in a good run of form Zig. Apart from arse, I dont think they have to play a team as high as them in the prem. And after we'd given them a good hiding, they were ripe to be taken again just as they were sunday after Fulham beat them.

People are expecting the likes of sunderland, portsmouth, spurs, wigan or hull to turn them over in addition to arse? You got to be kidding.

Sunday's result is a massive fillip to them. It also sends a message to those very clubs we're expecting to take points off them. Love to agree with you on this Zig but I just cant see it. Sorry.

You seen any of their game tonight? Watching it, I completely dispute that their result on Sunday has given them any confidence. I think any team that has a proper go at them has a great chance of taking points.

Regardless, it's pointless worrying too much about them, we just have to focus on winning our games. If we can do that then who knows. Our next four games are all before theirs. Keep winning and the pressure on them will increase.

I honestly think it can happen for us, and I'll believe that until it's mathematically impossible for us to win the league.

You seen any of their game tonight?
Nah missus wants to watch something important like CSI I think!

Watching it, I completely dispute that their result on Sunday has given them any confidence. I think any team that has a proper go at them has a great chance of taking points.

That's the point though, we're expecting teams who've won jack shit all season to have this proper go at them. The teams they have to play havent got it in them to have a go. Do you think bruce will give it a go against his old mentor cos I dont?

Regardless, it's pointless worrying too much about them, we just have to focus on winning our games. If we can do that then who knows. Our next four games are all before theirs. Keep winning and the pressure on them will increase.

I honestly think it can happen for us, and I'll believe that until it's mathematically impossible for us to win the league.

We mustn't drop any points and that's the rub. They can still afford to drop some points. We cant afford to drop one.