You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James McCarthy

Royal Family

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This kid has had a host of clubs after him and hamilton have accepted bids from a few so accepting the wolves bid is nothing new. But, for whatever reason, he doesnt want to move.

Id be really surprised if he went to wolves after having had the chance of us, celtic and a few others.

McCarthy agrees £1.2m Wigan move

Hamilton midfielder James McCarthy has agreed a four-year contract to join Wigan Athletic for a fee of about £1.2m rising to £3m depending on appearances.

Wigan's English top-flight rivals Wolves also had an offer accepted by the Scottish Premier League club.

Accies chairman Ronnie MacDonald told BBC Scotland: "James is a superb prospect and I know Roberto Martinez and Wigan will look after him."

Wigan expect the deal for the 18-year-old to be concluded within 24 hours.

Promoted Wolves were the first club to agree a fee, but once Wigan joined the race it meant it would be down to the player to choose a preferred destination.

Tottenham Hotspur made a late expression of interest, while Celtic manager Tony Mowbray admitted that his club were being priced out of the race after they, Burnley and Portsmouth had bids rejected earlier this summer.

And it appears to have been manager Martinez's promise of involvement in the first-team squad that tipped the balance in favour of Wigan.

McCarthy, who rejected a transfer to Liverpool in 2007 and was also linked with Chelsea, received no such guarantees from Premier League rivals Spurs or Wolves.

He told Accies' website: "I had an absolutely brilliant time at Accies. The club have been tremendous with me."

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 international travelled to Wigan on Monday and will join his new team-mates at their pre-season training camp in Austria.

He follows former Hamilton team-mate Brian Easton to the Barclays Premier League after the Scotland Under-21 left-back moved to Burnley for £350,000 last week.

Now Accies have trebled their previous record sale - they received £380,000 from Millwall for Paul Hartley in 1996 - for McCarthy.

"We are very sad to see them go, but that is what Hamilton Accies are about - taking young boys through our youth system and giving them a chance," said MacDonald.

"They have become very wealthy young men and I am delighted for them.

MacDonald, who thinks the Scottish FA missed out on a great talent, was recalling the decision by Glasgow-born McCarthy to accept an offer to become part of the Republic of Ireland set-up after they were first to approach the teenager.

There is a possibility that a third product of the Hamilton youth system, James McArthur, could also be on his way to England's top flight.

His agent, Willie McKay, who also acts for Easton and McCarthy, claims Premier League clubs are interested in signing the 21-year-old midfielder, although there have been no firm offers yet.

Wigan, who had already signed Honduras midfielder Hendry Thomas and midfielder Jordi Gomez, on Saturday signed former St Johnstone striker Jason Scotland from Swansea for £2m.

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | W | Wigan | McCarthy agrees £1.2m Wigan move

Have we missed a trick here?

If Celtic do sign either of the Hamilton lads it'd interesting to test the waters with a bid for Brown. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance, and he'd definitely strengthen us - far better than Lucas in the middle and could deputise for Gerrard behind Torres if needed.

No way. Not Premier league standard.

If Celtic do sign either of the Hamilton lads it'd interesting to test the waters with a bid for Brown. I'm sure he'd jump at the chance, and he'd definitely strengthen us - far better than Lucas in the middle and could deputise for Gerrard behind Torres if needed.

Brown ? Who is he ? Goal scorer, passer, has he got stubble ?

Brown ? Who is he ? Goal scorer, passer, has he got stubble ?

Hes an over rated Celtic player. Scored the same number of goals as the kid McCarthy did last season. And when you consider how far Celtic are ahead of Hamilton, and the amount of goals they score and points they get compared to Hamilton, i would much rather have signed the kid McCarthy than Brown. Brown is never going to be good enough for us, another Barry Ferguson - over-hyped wise.

• 7 months later...

I thought he was excellent last night. Dispossessed Gerrard about three times and was still snapping at our ankles in injury time. Seems to have an eye for a pass too, and can take a decent corner.

If he continues to improve and puts on a bit of muscle, he'll be a beast of a player.

I thought he was excellent last night. Dispossessed Gerrard about three times and was still snapping at our ankles in injury time. Seems to have an eye for a pass too, and can take a decent corner.

If he continues to improve and puts on a bit of muscle, he'll be a beast of a player.

Fuck me, didn't realise that is was the same McCarthy we were linked with. Looked good last night, I agree.