You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Non paid up members.

drewy

I would love to be able to afford to give Dave regular donations. At the moment all I can afford to do is give a few bob extra every time I buy the mag. I know its fuck all but its basically all I can do. I understand you paid up and feel pretty pissed when freeloaders fuck up the forum. Perhaps making it members only for an hour before, during, and an hour after the game might ease the problem?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to be able to afford to give Dave regular donations. At the moment all I can afford to do is give a few bob extra every time I buy the mag. I know its fuck all but its basically all I can do. I understand you paid up and feel pretty pissed when freeloaders fuck up the forum. Perhaps making it members only for an hour before, during, and an hour after the game might ease the problem?

Thats quite a good idea.

I will pay once I get another job.

I was made redundant a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry to hear that. I don't think it should matter if people pay or not. It was never Dave's intention to turn this place into a pay site. And will the problem not be with bandwith, rather than the server itself?

Sorry to hear that. I don't think it should matter if people pay or not. It was never Dave's intention to turn this place into a pay site. And will the problem not be with bandwith, rather than the server itself?

I know, but I honestly don't mind contributing as I do spend a fair bit on here anyways for a number of years.

I personally think it should be one rule for everyone. Why should some pay and others not have to pay?

But you could also argue that why should you have to pay in the first place?

The server problem is a joke. The member only remedy won't work as the lurkers will just register and still lurk.

It's a tough one to argue either way.

I know, but I honestly don't mind contributing as I do spend a fair bit on here anyways for a number of years.

I personally think it should be one rule for everyone. Why should some pay and others not have to pay?

But you could also argue that why should you have to pay in the first place?

The server problem is a joke. The member only remedy won't work as the lurkers will just register and still lurk.

It's a tough one either way.

By ''members" I meant paid up members.

That's correct, it wasn't and isn't my intention (although it isn't a bandwidth problem, it is to do wit the server). I wouldn't go down the RAOTL closed shop route, and I don't think the server overload problem is specifically about needing an upgrade to the server. It might be, but it could just be a case of tweaking certain settings.

Closing the forum to non members an hour before and after the game isn't really practical either as I'm not normally here to do it (I'm either at the game or watching it in my mums if its a televised away game). I could close it off in the morning before I set off I suppose, and I'll probably try that this weekend.

I have been changing a few things around to see if it has made a difference, but it's difficult for me to tell because I'm not here on matchdays and can't monitor the server load.

I've got to get the next issue of the mag finished in the next week, but as soon as that's out of the way I'm going to get to the bottom of the server overload problem, and see if it is a case of buying more memory or just tweaking certain settings.

If you close it off for an hour after the game, when the hour is up everyone else will be bombing it at the same time and it could make the problem worse.

I suggest shipping in a few Eastern European girls and setting up TLW Sex Ring to fund a new server and future TLW events.

If the overload problem cant be sorted then if I was Dave id restrict the site to paid members on match days or when Rafa or the yanks leave.

The problem for Dave is when the site goes down it doesnt just effect us it effects his business because people cant get on the site to order Dave's products.

Obviously some people find it easier to make a contribution than others.

As you may know You can only run more than 4GB of Memory if you are running Adv Server on a Windows platform. Drop me a line I may be able to help you out here.

Cheers.

I think this might be your best type of option Dave, going through it with someone who knows a decent bit about what's going on. I'm sure you know a bit yourself, but speaking to someone who knows a lot/works in this area might get the problem sorted out really fast. (and there'll probably be a good few options that you can choose from that won't be a stupid cost too.)

I'm out of work at the moment too, but 20 quid can be found from somewhere when it's for this site, will get it sorted as soon as I can.