You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Steven Gerrard: Paying the price for his versatility

TheBajan

Could you post then please?

:yes:

07/08:

PL:34(32+2) matches - 11 goals(3 pens) - 9 assists

FA: 3(1+2) - 3 - 2

CC: 2(1+1) - 1 - 2

CL: 13(13+0) - 6(2 pens) - 4

06/07:

PL:36(35+1) matches - 7 goals(1 pen) - 4 assists

FA: 1(1+0) - 0 - 0

CC: 1(1+0) - 1 - 0

CL: 12(10+2) - 3 - 2

05/06:

PL:32(32+0) matches - 10 goals(3 pens) - 5 assists

FA: 6(6+0) - 4 - 6

CC: 1(1+0) - 1 - 0

CL: 12(8+4) - 7(1 pen) - 5

CWC: 2(2+0) - 1 - 0

04/05:

PL:30(28+2) matches - 7 goals - 6 assists

CC: 3(3+0) - 2 - 0

CL: 10(10+0) - 4 - 2

03/04:

PL:34(34+0) matches - 4 goals(1 pen) - 7 assists

FA: 3(3+0) - 0 - 2

CC: 2(1+1) - 0 - 1

UC: 8(7+1) - 2 - 6

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but maybe I'm reading too much into things but why say the bit about training sessions. Sounds like there is, in his mind, more than just being fit. If he's fit but not match sharp, he should play, 50% of SG is better than 100% of the alternatives. IMO.

Then of course its up to the player if he is 50%. If he does not want to play at 50% (adding the fact that he is the club captain) then he should not play.

A happy SG at 50% is better than an unhappy SG at 50%. Well now that becomes a bit blurred now dont it?

I do find it a bit surprising that his groin problem got to be as bad as it was before anything was done about it. In this era where everything is monitored so closely from game to game and training session to training session, he still plays through the pain until he has developed a much worse problem. In pre-season. Which Paco, or Pako, is responsible for such thing these days?

[breathes sigh of relief Rash is not here to explain in the most banal yet patronising way how injuries can develop.]

I hope the people telling him to shut the fuck up are saying the same to the manager when he moans about not getting his way all the time. I don't think Gerrard said anything in the article that was contentious, apart from telling us that he prefers to play in the middle. Any player who is asked will tell the interviewer where they want to play. There isn't an issue with doing that.

And as far as I'm aware, Gerrard has been playing in pain and not moaning about it for the good of the team, yet some retards have been on his back about his performances. Not great.

I hope the people telling him to shut the fuck up are saying the same to the manager when he moans about not getting his way all the time. I don't think Gerrard said anything in the article that was contentious, apart from telling us that he prefers to play in the middle. Any player who is asked will tell the interviewer where they want to play. There isn't an issue with doing that.

And as far as I'm aware, Gerrard has been playing in pain and not moaning about it for the good of the team, yet some retards have been on his back about his performances. Not great.

Agreed. When a player plays throuhg the pain barrier, it means that he is taking one for the team and should be applauded than booed. Of course some critics are so narrow minded that they just cant see the logic in that.

As regards to his injury, I cant see the issue either. If he is fit then he plays if not then he does not. If it was against Stoke or Crew then I would not mind him not being 100% but this is united we are talking about and if he is not fit then he runs the risk of injuring himself even futher.

"I looked him in the eyes and told him...", that's a bit more than just yeah, I like to play in CM. We already know that, his blagging to Redknapp and hence the rest of the Sky Sports Crew meant there was no other news than "Stevie being forced to play out of position by the bad bad Rafa man" for months.

No possible good can come of making this a headline story again. So why bother.

I do find it a bit surprising that his groin problem got to be as bad as it was before anything was done about it. In this era where everything is monitored so closely from game to game and training session to training session, he still plays through the pain until he has developed a much worse problem. In pre-season. Which Paco, or Pako, is responsible for such thing these days?

[breathes sigh of relief Rash is not here to explain in the most banal yet patronising way how injuries can develop.]

This could very well touch on the matter of whether he should speak up or not though as some seem to suggest.

Perhaps he did mention it (in fact I'd be amazed if he didnt) but benitez asked or told him to play on because he was needed for such games as the CL semi final.

OK, if that's the case, then why didnt he have it seen to during the end of season break? Perhaps the answer to that is that LFC's medical team suggested it would clear up with rest which, wouldnt be the first time that's been suggested by them?

Clearly, then when he reported back for pre season training and it 'went' again, he's back to square one.

It just seems to me some fans (not you) only seem to be happy to have a pop at Gerrard. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesnt.

That, cant be right.

The thing that riles me is we dont need to know all this.

He could of kept the conversation with Rafa private and yet he chooses to tell the national press which in turn heaps pressure on Rafa when he does'nt need it.

Yep, I see that, but Benitez also talks to the press about all sorts of shit he should keep private too. Gerrard is only following the manager's lead in talking to the press.

Agreed and more to the point what is Rafa doing Fixing a problem we dont have.

Basically he bought Keane so Gerrard could play centrally which does beg the question where he saw Barry playing

Basically he bought Keane so Gerrard could play centrally which does beg the question where he saw Barry playing

Does it matter now where Barry would have played? What matters now is that we have Keane a natural selection to partner Torres or lead the line in his absence.

Now Gerrard will be moved to his natural CM postion which he favours and is the more effective. There is nothing wrong with that logic once Keane starts chipping in the goals and the assists.

I think the Torres-Gerrard axis was a temporary fix that worked too well for its own good. Now we clearly know where Gerrard needs/wants to play and where Keane is going to play.

For better or for worse we have Keane now and he should not be overlooked.........

Left Midfield. I thought it was CM originally, i.e. as a replacement for Alonso, but the more it went on it became obvious, imo, that Rafa was only looking for a LM. Alonso would have been OK to sacrafice because Barry can cover in CM, but he was being bought as a winger imo.

A central midfield of Mascherano and Gerrard has the potential to be the best in the world.

The Chief cover the defensive part while Gerrard has the licence to go forward. Gerrard can also give a vital defensive contribution when we are under pressure as he has quick feet and can tackle properly.

We must cut this two holding midfielders crap.

CM is the best position for him and playing him there is the best solution for the team. I have given my reasons for that in another thread (the poll thread started by Paul). As both Gerrard himself and Rafa agree with me, I think I have a strong case.

Alonso isnt a holding midfielder he's just constrained by Rafa. But I do agree Gerrard and Mascherano should be given a go together in the centre.

Gerrard's best position is behind the striker or on the right' date=' IMO.

That is where I've seen him play his best football.[/quote']

Best ive seen him was at right-back

Yep, I see that, but Benitez also talks to the press about all sorts of shit he should keep private too. Gerrard is only following the manager's lead in talking to the press.

Agreed. Not only that but almost everyone in the squad thinks it neccessary to speak in the press. Every day one of Rafa,Parry,Kuyt,Carragher,Hicks or Gerrard have said something that gets people talking about Liverpool.

It's tiresome.

Gerrard is a victim of his versatility. He's equally as good on the right, behind a striker, central midfield and if we put him back to right back I honestly think he'd be the best in Europe in that position.

If Rafa does play him next to Mascherano then he has to let him go and not limit his foward movement much in the same way Gerrard used to play next to Hamann. Hamann for me was Gerrard's perfect foil and Gerrard was always a much better player when Didi played next to him.

But Gerrard has also had two great season, one on the right and then last season when he played slightly behind Torres. Wherever he plays though, you just have to give him free reign to get the bet out of him, because when he's asked to sit deep and not get ahead of the ball, then his game becomes a bit more limited.

Gerrard is a victim of his versatility. He's equally as good on the right, behind a striker, central midfield and if we put him back to right back I honestly think he'd be the best in Europe in that position.

If Rafa does play him next to Mascherano then he has to let him go and not limit his foward movement much in the same way Gerrard used to play next to Hamann. Hamann for me was Gerrard's perfect foil and Gerrard was always a much better player when Didi played next to him.

But Gerrard has also had two great season, one on the right and then last season when he played slightly behind Torres. Wherever he plays though, you just have to give him free reign to get the bet out of him, because when he's asked to sit deep and not get ahead of the ball, then his game becomes a bit more limited.

I don't think we need to worry on that front, Benitez has always got that out of him. If he's moving him back to play with Masch, I would expect it's because he wants more mobility and attacking threat from that position, combined with Keane playing the Gerrard role from last season. It should make us a lot more dangerous.

I don't think we need to worry on that front, Benitez has always got that out of him. If he's moving him back to play with Masch, I would expect it's because he wants more mobility and attacking threat from that position, combined with Keane playing the Gerrard role from last season. It should make us a lot more dangerous.

I hope you're right mate. It'll be interesting to see who plays where when everyone is fit.