You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Part of that film focuses on the free gig at Parr Hall in Warrington literally round the corner from where I was working and being gutted that I couldn't get round there to bag a ticket.

Some little pube in the office come and asked if I had any of their cd's in the car so he could try and get a ticket, I told him if I did I wouldn't be sat in front of him. Couldn't name more than three of their songs. Got a fucking ticket somehow he did, pissed me off for days that.

I saw them at both Heaton Park and Finsbury Park and thought they were superb. The film is disappointing though, saw it on the day it was released and it focuses too much on knob head fans. I'm a knob head fan, I want to see more of the band. And less of Shane Meadows, definitely less of Shane Meadows. Will still watch it again though.

Just a heads up for the Stone Roses fans amongst us, Shane Meadows film Made in Stone is being shown on channel 4 Saturday night at 10:50pm

The stone roses fans amongst us have the limited edition dvd in the metal case and have already watched it enough to know it word for word.

Made of stone me.

Wasn't it Remmie singing over the top of Ian which masked Ian's croaky voice in the old days?

Never saw them live back then but I've seen the gig in Blackpool on DVD and that didn't appear to be the case. Ian Brown was woeful and there was no disguising it.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone think the "Garage Flower" 'album'' is any good? (or is it just me?)

I like it. It has a rougher and more unprofessional feel to the later stuff but you can see the potential.

I must admit I don't listen to it very often however. Heart On The Staves is a good song.

This is an interesting thread, which I hadn't previously seen.

To the few comments on the Charlatans, I like them and they have some excellent albums and songs but they are definitely the Europa League (winners maybe) to the Stone Roses Champions League (finalists).

**Awaits neg for mentioning football on the GF.**

• Downvote 2

Don't think that expecting it was going to bring any leniency. Go to Saudi and do some shoplifting. When you get caught, if you say 'I suppose you're going to cut my hands off now', it won't prevent your mum from having to cut cock sized holes in watermelons for you for the rest of your life.

In my defence, it was a tenuous link to football.

It would be like stealing in Saudi Arabia, but doing so in the name of Allah.

• Downvote 1

I've come to the conclusion that the full length version of "Something's Burning" is my favourite track of theirs now.An unbelievable track from a succession of glorious b-sides and surely a tantalising pointer to how album number two might have sounded if Silvertone hadn't stopped them recording for however many years it was.

I like "Second Coming" - but it isn't a patch on their debut, and i still think the overtly "rock" tracks never suited Ian Brown's voice at all.

Breaking Into Heaven has really grown on me over the years. Fantastic intro to an album, just a shame about the faux-Led Zep excesses that follow.

Squire was shut up in a room coked up for a decent part of it apparently. Agreed that it's a shame, they had so much potential back then. If only they'd worked together and got on with each other more. I love some of the guitar work on that album, but that period clearly wasn't good for the band so it kind of sucks at the same time.

This is a decent book as far as I know for learning more about what was going on back then : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Roses-Resurrection-British-Pop/dp/009187887X

"The Stone Roses - War and Peace" is a far better book, mate. That one is OK, but John Robb writes like a 12 year old fanboy and the lack of objectivity becomes obvious from page one.

Yeah have read about him not being that good at writing, but it was years ago when I read it so probably didn't notice so much. Thanks anyway, might have to get that in the near future for something different to read.