You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reading the Predator thread set me thinking about scousers' opinions of non-scousers (especially local ones). I love Liverpool as a city, and will sing its praises whenever I get a chance, but (risking some serious negging here) I absolutely fucking hate the attitude of some Liverpudlians to other non-scouse Merseysiders.

All this "We're the friendliest, salt-of-the-earth, people you'll ever meet" seems to only apply when they're interacting with other like-minded people with an L4 postcode, who paint the outside of their houses (wtf is that all about? Painting bricks??), who attempt to turn their 2-bed terrace into Southfork, and who wear a Real Madrid tracky.

You look down your noses at anyone from Wirral, Knowsley, St Helens and Sefton. You call us wools and plazzy scousers, like you're superior and with the mistaken belief that we too aspire to be brash, tasteless and money-obsessed.

This is a typical example of the difference in conversation between a scouser and a wool:

Wool mate: That's a nice top, Liz.

Me: Thanks. I got it in the sales, it was only a tenner.

Wool mate: Really? It's lovely, I love getting a bargain.

Same conversation with scouse mate-

Scouse mate: That's a nice top, Liz.

Me: Thanks. I got it in the sales, it was only a tenner.

Scouse mate: A tenner? You fucking meff!

Why is that? If I'd said it was 60 quid you'd think it was nice, but because it was only a tenner you suddenly change your mind?

So listen up. We don't want to be scousers. You might call me a leg dragger, but I'd rather have a soul and be more interested in the world around me than what I look like and how the neighbours see me. I am a dyed-in-the-wool wool, and I wouldn't change it for a bloody big sovereign ring. So there.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It stems from the fact that people from those places often claim to be scousers when they are'nt.

I think that's a common misconception. If people ask where I'm from and don't know where I'm talking about when I say Wirral, I qualify it with "It's the other side of the River Mersey from Liverpool". I've never known anybody who would claim to be a scouser when they weren't.

The Wools are getting rowdy. There could be a mutiny by the flat-cap wearers any minute. We should be able to out run them though because those who aren't dragging their legs are probably non-too nimble in their waders.

Btw, I've regularly seen people on forums or chatrooms announce they were from Liverpool only for me to ask "whereabout?". "West Kirby" They might reply. Or some other wool location.

I love stirring shit me. I can just see all the wools now having to wipe the slobber from their monitors after having just blurted out some expletive in a George Formby sounding accent.

and I wouldn't change it for a bloody big sovereign ring. So there.

The soveriegn ring is a dig at my former Ma'. She was from Sheffield and was fat. Nothing worse than having a big fat wool as your Ma' so I jibbed her off and got a new one. She wears sovs that make the women's Wimbledon tennis trophy look like a 5p piece.

The soveriegn ring is a dig at my former Ma'. She was from Sheffield and was fat. Nothing worse than having a big fat wool as your Ma' so I jibbed her off and got a new one. She wears sovs that make the women's Wimbledon tennis trophy look like a 5p piece.

I wasn't actually thinking of Big B. But now you come to mention it, your new scouse biological Ma is thin and doesn't wear excessive quantities of the old Au?

I wasn't actually thinking of Big B. But now you come to mention it, your new scouse biological Ma is thin and doesn't wear excessive quantities of the old Au?

I don't think she has as much bling but it's difficult to tell what's on her fingers when they're permanently clasped around a can of stella.

I grew up (as much as anyone does) in Runcorn, which sort of confuses things a bit. There used to be (and for all I know, there still might be) genuine hostility from the Wools in the Old Town toward the Scousers in the New Town. The fact that I'd lived in Runcorn since the age of 4 was not enough - to a lot of them, "fuckin Scouser" was the worst insult they could spit at you. And they wouldn't miss a chance to remind you that Scousers - and, presumably, all the jobs, houses, money, transport, leisure facilities, etc that came with them - were just not welcome. I think this explains why a lot of Runcorn Scousers act and speak in such an exaggeratedly Scouse way. (For proof of this, any time you're on a train from London being "entertained" by a bunch of loud, drunk dead-funny-Scousers, just see which station they get off at.) Having been so roundly rejected in their adopted town, they desparately want to be part of their "home" town.

Then, of course, now I am in Liverpool I'm just another Wool/Plazzy!

I think that's a common misconception. If people ask where I'm from and don't know where I'm talking about when I say Wirral, I qualify it with "It's the other side of the River Mersey from Liverpool". I've never known anybody who would claim to be a scouser when they weren't.

add to that the fact that the accent sounds very similar to people who don't know any different. I've been called "scouse" loads of times, but I'm not and quite frankly I'm glad. Not that I've got anything against scousers or liverpool. Its just that I am proud of where i come from.

Being a "wool" sounds like a down to earth condition, and you really should be proud of it. I'm on your side on your first example SKI, but wether or not you're right when you label scosers the way you do, I don't know.

Sorry Kop, just to clear this up. The gold jibes were just leg-pulling between SKEET and myself. I don't really think all scousers have all their gold in the pawnbrokers. I'm just turning the tables and labelling them the way they do us.

In fact, I don't have a problem at all with scousers for the most part, I just hate their unaccepting attitude towards outsiders.

I am devestated at these revelations, having been born and bred in Bootle and more recently neigbouring Litherland am I a wool?? Does that make Jamie "he's scouse, he's sound, he'll twat yer with a pound" Carragher a wool??

I don't mind your average wool once they accept that they're a bit weird, stuck in the dark ages and talk funny.

If "talking funny" means sounding h's at the beginning of words, and g's on the end; as well as pronouncing 'ck' as 'ck' and not 'ch' in the manner of a German, then I'm guilty as charged.

The origins of the term Wool/Woolyback has nothing to do with where a person comes from.

It stems from dock workers who when loading/unloading ships of cotton or wool would carry the bails on their backs using a dockers hook. Hence Woolyback.

Over the years the use of the term has more often been used to describe a person speaking with a Lancastrian accent.

I don't know why Ski refers to herself as a Wool as this term has never been used to describe anybody from over the water/the Wirral. Certainly not in the era I grew up.

The origins of the term Wool/Woolyback has nothing to do with where a person comes from.

It stems from dock workers who when loading/unloading ships of cotton or wool would carry the bails on their backs using a dockers hook. Hence Woolyback.

Over the years the use of the term has more often been used to describe a person speaking with a Lancastrian accent.

I don't know why Ski refers to herself as a Wool as this term has never been used to describe anybody from over the water/the Wirral. Certainly not in the era I grew up.

I always put it down to Ormskirk, st. Helens Billinge upholand and that side of Wigan areas... areas...

SKI's real annoyance, that which has caused her to start this thread doesn't really stem from her Woolishness. It's stems from her childhood where she would often be pinned against a wall by the uvver chiwwwdgren and forced to say words such as Grarce or Barf while they laughed. Liz was born in essex y'see and had a thick cockney accent as a nipper. She'd often come home crying and tell her Mum who is Scouse and Ace, who would in reply, roundhouse her and tell her to stop being such a wool and to stop whinging. True story dat.

Also, there's a tad of hypocracy going on because I often had the piss took out of me whilst I was over there. Sibling C might remark: "Look, Gaz, there's a tree!, Bet you haven't seen one of them before have you?!". Then he'd do this asthmatic urgh'll, urgh'll, urgh'll, thing like a Deliverence lead character; then they'd all start doing it.

So y'see, your a-typical wool is not faultless in all this mess. Oh, no. They're in it up to their wellies!