You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Work - Life Balance

Section_31

I've no work life balance, at all, unless you count the time I spend on here when I'm in the office.

It's cost me my marriage, which is clearly shit.

As much as I would like to think I will change it, I have to be honest and wonder if I will or can.

I've worked my arse off this year and as a result should be inline for a £10k plus bonus, which will (as well as a much needed holiday) give me a chance to rebuild my outside life, etc. but it's not like its millions.

The Friday before last I fell asleep while driving home because I'd worked sully hours for two weeks before due to a deadline that day. My falling asleep was due to not sleeping at night through a combo of illness (which I got from being run down/tired), tiredness from working late and stress.

So, I took the Monday off. That was all.

The one positive from all of this is that I've got 17 days untakem holiday which I'm getting paid, which will pay for the new boiler I need at home.

Actually, there's a second positive. I don't live far from pudsey, so I'm off to lurtzy's for a jäger when it opens.

I also think I'm depressed, though the thread on that has people who definitely are depressed in it, so I feel a bit embarrassed when I've gone in the to post and read the other stuff.

Me too, I've got 20 yrs in next March and there'll be 100's of redundancies next year. I'll get a years pay if I go but I'd shit it. I've seen loads go over the years so I know there's lots of opportunities out there but it's the fear of the unknown.

Much better than me mate. I've been there 8 and a half years now and we get 3 weeks pay for every year of service, tax free. We get 3 months gardening leave as well.

No point in jumping until pushed when you consider the financial side of things.

Much better than me mate. I've been there 8 and a half years now and we get 3 weeks pay for every year of service, tax free. We get 3 months gardening leave as well.

No point in jumping until pushed when you consider the financial side of things.

Ours is capped at a year though, but it's the pension that's a killer. It's average salary at the moment and closed so I'd imagine there'll be further reductions in the next few years.

I've always worked very hard in relation to my colleagues wherever I've been and am now working the hardest I've ever done in my life. However, I also enjoy my work more than I've ever done. Job's (literally) a good 'un.

Come on Paul, the little bastards can read by the time they get to you.

I sometimes get them unable to string a sentence or two together.

I'm due for a bonus for the first time in over six years and it galls me that the taxman will make off with about £4000 of it at the least.

Pisser

You'll probably know you can stick it in your pension fund tax free

Many employers will actually enhance the payment by some/all of the saving on employers NI contribution ( its 13.8 % from memory)

Its always worth asking as they save this if you make an AVC to your pension,

You can then take 25 % tax free after age 50.  If you need the cash now then this doesn't help much 

Pisser

You'll probably know you can stick it in your pension fund tax free

Many employers will actually enhance the payment by some/all of the saving on employers NI contribution ( its 13.8 % from memory)

Its always worth asking as they save this if you make an AVC to your pension,

You can then take 25 % tax free after age 50.  If you need the cash now then this doesn't help much 

Cheers for the advice, mate. I kinda needed it now though as I was going to use it as a deposit for a house, might be able to buy a window instead.

This is my fourth day at home in four weeks, I've spent the last four weekends on planes and in airports. I've worked in São Paulo, Monterrey, Florence, Budapest (home), Cincinnati and Dubai. In whichever timezones I have been in, I have early morning (5am) calls with another part of the world and mostly end up taking calls through to 9pm with other timezones. On Thursday I missed the Budapest Xmas Party because I had an online presentation with Americans until 10pm, at which point I realised that due to travelling back from Dubai I had had 3 hours kip in 48 hours.

However I am now working from home for 3 weeks so should get a chance to rest. I do love it though