You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wire has sooo many good characters...

Elite

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Season 4 is easily the best in my opinion. The whole point about The Wire is that it's not about just one character. It's actually about Baltimore itself and, over the full five seasons, will have shown cops, drug dealers, dockers, politicians, the media, teachers, pupils, parents and ordinary citizens. I totally understand the whole "want to see more of [insert favourite character's name]" thing, but it somewhat misses the point of the show.

Has to be season 3 for me.

• 2 months later...

So many characters....

My favourite is Omar - independent Mofo!

LIKE:

Omar

McNulty

Bunk

Stringer Bell

Avon

Daniels

Rhonda

Carver

Bodie

Kima

Lester

Beadie

Cutty

Prez

Bunny Colvin

Dukie

Randy

The Greek

D'Angelo

Tommy Carcetti

DISLIKE:

Herc

Burrell

Rawls

Valchek

Judge Phelan

Snoop

Maury

Clay Davis

Mayor Royce

Wadkins

Ziggy

Indifferent:

Leandor

Jay

Dozerman

Santangelo

Colicchio

Bubbs

Marlow

Prop Jo

Weebay

Brother Mouzone

Poot

Butchie

I like Bubbs and I don't want him to die or anything but he's a raging smackhead, which is just appalling to me. Yes, there's definitely a real man in there and he's not your typical junkie but I can't like him for the fact that he's a junkie.

He's a good character though fo' sho' y'all.

So many characters....

LIKE:

Omar

McNulty

Bunk

Stringer Bell

Avon

Daniels

Rhonda

Carver

Bodie

Kima

Lester

Beadie

Cutty

Prez

Bunny Colvin

Dukie

Randy

The Greek

D'Angelo

Tommy Carcetti

DISLIKE:

Herc

Burrell

Rawls

Valchek

Judge Phelan

Snoop

Maury

Clay Davis

Mayor Royce

Wadkins

Ziggy

Indifferent:

Leandor

Jay

Dozerman

Santangelo

Colicchio

Bubbs

Marlow

Prop Jo

Weebay

Brother Mouzone

Poot

Butchie

Shhheeeeeeeeiiiittt

So many characters....

LIKE:

Omar

McNulty

Bunk

Stringer Bell

Avon

Daniels

Rhonda

Carver

Bodie

Kima

Lester

Beadie

Cutty

Prez

Bunny Colvin

Dukie

Randy

The Greek

D'Angelo

Tommy Carcetti

DISLIKE:

Herc

Burrell

Rawls

Valchek

Judge Phelan

Snoop

Maury

Clay Davis

Mayor Royce

Wadkins

Ziggy

Indifferent:

Leandor

Jay

Dozerman

Santangelo

Colicchio

Bubbs

Marlow

Prop Jo

Weebay

Brother Mouzone

Poot

Butchie

I've looked at this and tried to understand liking the bland Carcaetti and disliking the awesome and charismatic Clay davis; I have come to one conclusion - you're a racist.

I'm watching series three of Heroes and seeing Marlowe and Bubbles turn up and actually show some ability to act, rather than ham everything up like most of the cast, is quite refreshing.

I gave up on Heroes during season two as the story didn't really seem to be moving on. Is it any good or are you just indulging Mrs Stu?

I gave up on Heroes during season two as the story didn't really seem to be moving on. Is it any good or are you just indulging Mrs Stu?
I have finished season 2 of Heroes. The ending is farcical due to the writers strike as they squish something like 9 episodes into the final episode of 2. I watched a couple of season 3 and just gave up, the story went off on too many ridiculous seemingly unrelated tangents and not in a good 'The Wire' way.

I found that with Heroes as well. Same with Prison Break and Lost.

Its like the writers only plan for x number of episodes because they think they'll be cancelled. After a while it starts to seem like they are just making shit up as they go along.

Yep. I gave up on those two as well. I mean, you can tell that they're pulpy and throw away from the outset, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing - pulp has its place. However, when the plot and characters become laughably predictable, clichéd and two dimensional, you know it's time to switch off. I'd throw 24 into that group too.

I'm carrying on watching it due to starting and so wanting to see the conclusion of it. It's really trying my patience. Not only does it seem like they are ramming the plot development into far to short a time but there's just dozens of poorly thought out ideas in each episode. Shall we explain why someone who runs fast isn't stopped when Hiro stops time? No, lets not bother. Shall we explain why someone would allow themselves to be stuck to a wall when they have a power to stop their attacker? No, let's just ignore that shit. It's constant and painful.

And that Milo dude who plays Peter is pulling some brutally terrible acting off this series. It's always horrible over-emotional turd; and Silar's not far behind in the hamming it up contest.

I like the concept, I loved the first season, but this is a serious shame.

Yep. I gave up on those two as well. I mean, you can tell that they're pulpy and throw away from the outset, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing - pulp has its place. However, when the plot and characters become laughably predictable, clichéd and two dimensional, you know it's time to switch off. I'd throw 24 into that group too.
Have to disagree there. I can see where you get annoyed with the rehashing of themes and scenarios we've seen before, but 24 has a rather fantastic gripping quality and a well maintained pace which glosses over some of the rather large cracks. With the amount of series they have done which I'd concede is way too many there are going to be weaker series, deja vous and tired plotlines, nonetheless it can still shock.

Grouping that with Lost is a disgrace in my opinion.

Oh and I never did find out what you made of The Corner (I'm sure I was the first to recommend this!)?

Have to disagree there. I can see where you get annoyed with the rehashing of themes and scenarios we've seen before, but 24 has a rather fantastic gripping quality and a well maintained pace which glosses over some of the rather large cracks. With the amount of series they have done which I'd concede is way too many there are going to be weaker series, deja vous and tired plotlines, nonetheless it can still shock.

Grouping that with Lost is a disgrace in my opinion.

Oh and I never did find out what you made of The Corner (I'm sure I was the first to recommend this!)?

Haven't finished The Corner yet, Remm. When I do, I'll let you know.

On 24, I felt it was a brilliant concept that was superbly realised in the first 8 episodes of Season 1. However, it then went a bit silly as they had to write quickly when the rest of the season was commissioned, but was still enjoyable . It got stupid after that though.