You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Riise going nowhere

Newport

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rome is where the heart is as Riise prepares for Liverpool exit

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 10:11 PM on 16th June 2008

John Arne Riise is expected to complete a £5million move to Roma this week after describing his frustration at being left on the fringes of Rafa Benitez's Liverpool squad.

The Norway left back has been a Roma target for weeks and finally looks to be heading for Serie A after they had a bid accepted by Liverpool.

Riise has found starting opportunities increasingly hard to come by under Benitez and admitted: 'I need to be playing and to be in a team where I can get better, because I know I can improve,' he said.

'When you change clubs, you get a new set of challenges and it can kickstart things for you."

Benitez could use the money to step up his pursuit of Gareth Barry after failing with two bids for the Aston Villa midfielder.

channel4.com - Football Italia

Riise's close to Rome Tuesday 17 June, 2008

Roma are edging ever closer to securing the services of Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise.

Giallorossi Coach Luciano Spalletti has admitted that Riise would be an ideal addition to the Eternal City side’s squad and the Norwegian star has revealed that he would welcome a move.

After exchanging faxes earlier today, there are reports that an agreement has been reached that will see Roma pay Liverpool around £5m over the course of three years.

Riise is expected to command a salary of around £1.4m per season and would be tied to a four-year deal.

The transfer could be made official within the next few hours, unless the two clubs decide to delay the announcement.

Should Riise put pen to paper it would probably end Roma's interest in Catania's Juan Manuel Vargas, who is now Fiorentina-bound.

£5m or around that is a good deal for us.

£1.4m a year! Incredible, fair play to him.

If it is five millions quid it is a indeed a good deal for us but as regards his wages, I think that is not out of the ordinary and what I would expect him to be on.

It's really sad whats happened to Riise, i remember a few years ago in a season review Sami saying he couldn't believe how much Riise ran.....Now the lazy twat just stands appealing for offside ie Chelsea's third at stamford bridge. Riise believed he was better than he was and thats where the decline started.

It really pisses me off though when players like Riise and Carson comment on their transfer fee, just shut the fuck up!!!