You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

On 01/05/2021 at 14:48, Section_31 said:

The Jem Ha'dar are probably my favourite race, absolutely bad ass, even the Klingons are scared of them.

Who would win. The J’em Hadar or The Borg?

Only one way to find out…,

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

Who would win. The J’em Hadar or The Borg?

Only one way to find out…,

There's a game called Star Trek Armada that's a bit like command and conquer and one of the missions is to capture a Vorta cloning facility so you can clone Locutus to lead a new Borg invasion, class.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Looks interesting, De Lancie is phenomenal so glad to see him back. Seems to be some kind of alternate timeliness vibe, so wonder if this is the human Q that he was briefly turned into in TNG? Could explain his aging like that.

Yeah looks interesting that. I imagine it will be shown on prime again?

• 2 weeks later...

Fuck me, just found out Joanne Linville who played Romulan commander in the TOS episode, the Enterprise Incident, has died on 20 June aged 93.

She became a bit of a love interest for Spock in the episode and Im sure he got a bit of the Pon Farr for her charms.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Joanne_Linville

Screenshot from 2021-07-03 22:39:46.png

• 1 month later...

It’s Monday and I’m bored of working already so I was thinking if I had a ship who would I want as the ultimate crew. I’m avoiding having someone with god like powers like Q as that would ruin it also he’d be unmanageable. I’m trying to go for a functional ship not just favourite characters. Also I appreciate this is an expanded crew and not all roles are used within each ship we’ve seen but worth adding some of the roles I think.

Captain: Pike

This was the hardest for me, I’ve chosen Pike because even in the limited times we’ve seen him, he seems the most well rounded of the captains and seems a much more consensus driven leader who seeks input from the experts. Was hard not picking Picard due to his superior diplomacy and stature but I feel he’d be too rigid (I know that’s not quite true) or if we were in a war footing id maybe go for Sisko as he’d break rules to win. Janeway perhaps would have been a good mix of all the qualities as she was an excellent Captain. But I’m going for Pike he seems to be able to command instant respect and seems so likeable.  

XO: Saru
Empathetic and really came into his own in Discovery as the seasons went on. He’d have the best intentions for the Crew at heart. Perhaps maybe too soft a pairing with Pike as his Captain but I’m sticking with him.

Ops: Data

he’d be efficient, work hard and be able to handle all departments of the ship. I mean who wouldn’t want a Android in the crew? 

Tactical / Security: Garak

perhaps a bit controversial but I would want someone who can do the dirty stuff and his experience of counter intelligence and contacts all over the galaxy would be invaluable. He may need reigning in at times though. If we were stuck with only starfleet personnel then perhaps Sloane could fill this gap.

Science: Seven

Was thinking of T’Pol / Spock for this but I think Sevens ex-Borg background would be invaluable also she’s able to fill a number of roles too. 

Engineering: O’Brien 

the guy could fix everything. Seems a top bloke, perhaps Scotty would have been another / better choice but I haven’t watched a lot of the earlier TOS (I am planning to). Also I’ll need someone to suffer occasionally so Chief O’Brien gets the nod.

Doctor: Phlox 

a tough one, but he seemed the most empathetic and wasn’t afraid to stand up for himself. A really underrated character. The EMH would have been a good choice too with his encyclopaedic knowledge but Phlox wins out for me.

Helm: Sulu

This one I couldn’t really decide Archer was a test pilot and at the start of his career but I think he’d try and take too much control. Just feels a bit unimportant as a role in the grand scheme of things. (aside from needing to be a good pilot).

Comms: Sato

A natural linguist perhaps struggles under pressure but always pulls through in the end.

Counsellor / Morale: Quark

Obviously the sensible choice is Troi but Quark can listen to your problems and pour you drinks at the same time. he’d also be useful In assisting the crew in acquiring items starfleet would struggle to get hold of.

I’m sure there’s plenty of room for debate here. Be interesting to hear other line ups.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

It’s Monday and I’m bored of working already so I was thinking if I had a ship who would I want as the ultimate crew. I’m avoiding having someone with god like powers like Q as that would ruin it also he’d be unmanageable. I’m trying to go for a functional ship not just favourite characters. Also I appreciate this is an expanded crew and not all roles are used within each ship we’ve seen but worth adding some of the roles I think.

Captain: Pike

This was the hardest for me, I’ve chosen Pike because even in the limited times we’ve seen him, he seems the most well rounded of the captains and seems a much more consensus driven leader who seeks input from the experts. Was hard not picking Picard due to his superior diplomacy and stature but I feel he’d be too rigid (I know that’s not quite true) or if we were in a war footing id maybe go for Sisko as he’d break rules to win. Janeway perhaps would have been a good mix of all the qualities as she was an excellent Captain. But I’m going for Pike he seems to be able to command instant respect and seems so likeable.  

XO: Saru
Empathetic and really came into his own in Discovery as the seasons went on. He’d have the best intentions for the Crew at heart. Perhaps maybe too soft a pairing with Pike as his Captain but I’m sticking with him.

Ops: Data

he’d be efficient, work hard and be able to handle all departments of the ship. I mean who wouldn’t want a Android in the crew? 

Tactical / Security: Garak

perhaps a bit controversial but I would want someone who can do the dirty stuff and his experience of counter intelligence and contacts all over the galaxy would be invaluable. He may need reigning in at times though. If we were stuck with only starfleet personnel then perhaps Sloane could fill this gap.

Science: Seven

Was thinking of T’Pol / Spock for this but I think Sevens ex-Borg background would be invaluable also she’s able to fill a number of roles too. 

Engineering: O’Brien 

the guy could fix everything. Seems a top bloke, perhaps Scotty would have been another / better choice but I haven’t watched a lot of the earlier TOS (I am planning to). Also I’ll need someone to suffer occasionally so Chief O’Brien gets the nod.

Doctor: Phlox 

a tough one, but he seemed the most empathetic and wasn’t afraid to stand up for himself. A really underrated character. The EMH would have been a good choice too with his encyclopaedic knowledge but Phlox wins out for me.

Helm: Sulu

This one I couldn’t really decide Archer was a test pilot and at the start of his career but I think he’d try and take too much control. Just feels a bit unimportant as a role in the grand scheme of things. (aside from needing to be a good pilot).

Comms: Sato

A natural linguist perhaps struggles under pressure but always pulls through in the end.

Counsellor / Morale: Quark

Obviously the sensible choice is Troi but Quark can listen to your problems and pour you drinks at the same time. he’d also be useful In assisting the crew in acquiring items starfleet would struggle to get hold of.

I’m sure there’s plenty of room for debate here. Be interesting to hear other line ups.

Hmmm, maybe Im too much TOS but

Captain: very tough, plenty of excellent Star Fleet captains to choose from. They all bring something different to the chain of command. But I'll go James T Kirk

First Officer, real tough between Spock and Riker but I'll go Riker here

Science officer: Spock

Tactical \ Security, not sure this is a one role position. Data's positronic brain makes him ideal to come up with swift tactical decisions so I'll go Data tactical with Worf on security.

Chief engineer, no debate, has to be Montgomery Scott

Helmsman: Hikaru Sulu

Navigation: Pavel Chekov

Chief Medical officer: Leonard 'Bones' McCoy

Yeoman \ counsellor: Janice Rand

It speaks to the quality of TNG that I'd probably have most of those characters in my first XI, yet that wouldn't mean any of the others from other shows were any less brilliant.

I think with the original series, the triumvirate of Kirk, Spock and McCoy meant the wider crew weren't as fleshed out as characters (I think Sulu and Chekov never even got first names until the movie era. 

I love Kirk but my Kirk was the movie era Admiral, as that was when I got into Star Trek properly, and he was pretty fucked up at that point. 

I'd have:

CAPTAIN.

Picard. The character has been sullied due to the, IMO, awful recent show and Stewart's obvious disdain for the character, but for me he was inspirational and I've never before or since seen such a moral 'thinking' hero as a leader. He was poor in the next gen movies but again, that was apparently largely down to Stewart wanting more action, so you had him wandering around the ship in a vest, Die Hard style, or driving Mad Max style dune buggies. Picard of The Drumhead though, or Redemption, or The Wounded or Chain of Command was a completely different proposition. A wonderfully rich, thoughtful, cultured and moral explorer and adventurer.

First officer:

RIKER.

Greatest beard in pop culture history. Perfect foil for Picard, blended action hero with humour and warmth. Really came into his own in The Best of Both Worlds.

Security: 

Worf. Probably my second favourite character in the whole of Trek. Brought the whole Klingon race to life. Prune juice.

Ops/Science.

Data. My favourite Trek character. Spiner is perfect in the role and depicted him in a way androids have never been done before or since, he was alien and 'other' but without being wierd or spooky. Just the right dolop of sci fi. Always on hand to get to the root of the problem and smart as fuck..

Engineering: 

Scotty. It was a close one but he's iconic isn't he?

Doctor: Bashir. The best all round doctor IMO in terms of who you'd want treating you, also the genetic engineering and section 31 stuff gave him a lot of added depth in later years. 

Barman: Vic Fontaine pushes Guinan into a close second place for me.

• Upvote 1

My problem with Riker was that he seemed to think he was too good to be a XO but didn’t want to move out of his comfort zone and take the big seat until way later than he should have. I may be misremembering this but was he actually a good XO? I think I need to rewatch TNG as I’m blanking on his abilities which is odd.

Also he’s going to try and fuck everything, him and Kirk would keep Starfleet Medical busy with all their new fangled STI’s.

I felt bad about leaving worf out but he is a little hot headed (well he is a Klingon) and my crew is pretty level headed for the most part. Maybe they could do with some anger in the heat of battle. Perhaps I could split Garaks role so worf can be on tactical and do the shooting and the simple tailor can be head of security.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It speaks to the quality of TNG that I'd probably have most of those characters in my first XI, yet that wouldn't mean any of the others from other shows were any less brilliant.

I think with the original series, the triumvirate of Kirk, Spock and McCoy meant the wider crew weren't as fleshed out as characters (I think Sulu and Chekov never even got first names until the movie era. 

I love Kirk but my Kirk was the movie era Admiral, as that was when I got into Star Trek properly, and he was pretty fucked up at that point. 

I'd have:

CAPTAIN.

Picard. The character has been sullied due to the, IMO, awful recent show and Stewart's obvious disdain for the character, but for me he was inspirational and I've never before or since seen such a moral 'thinking' hero as a leader. He was poor in the next gen movies but again, that was apparently largely down to Stewart wanting more action, so you had him wandering around the ship in a vest, Die Hard style, or driving Mad Max style dune buggies. Picard of The Drumhead though, or Redemption, or The Wounded or Chain of Command was a completely different proposition. A wonderfully rich, thoughtful, cultured and moral explorer and adventurer.

First officer:

RIKER.

Greatest beard in pop culture history. Perfect foil for Picard, blended action hero with humour and warmth. Really came into his own in The Best of Both Worlds.

Security: 

Worf. Probably my second favourite character in the whole of Trek. Brought the whole Klingon race to life. Prune juice.

Ops/Science.

Data. My favourite Trek character. Spiner is perfect in the role and depicted him in a way androids have never been done before or since, he was alien and 'other' but without being wierd or spooky. Just the right dolop of sci fi. Always on hand to get to the root of the problem and smart as fuck..

Engineering: 

Scotty. It was a close one but he's iconic isn't he?

Doctor: Bashir. The best all round doctor IMO in terms of who you'd want treating you, also the genetic engineering and section 31 stuff gave him a lot of added depth in later years. 

Barman: Vic Fontaine pushes Guinan into a close second place for me.

Good shouts and very hard to disagree. Picard \ Stewart was by far the more cerebral captain of the lot. He was \ is by far the best Captain for first contact missions and negotiator of diplomatic solutions. I would put him a gnat's cock behind Kirk as my first choice.

But Kirk was the pioneer of 'the final fronteer' frequently calling for seat of the pants solutions to problems and situation. The Prime Directive wasnt an absolute back then. I always felt in TOS, Starfleet did the exploring and pushing of frontiers, literally, while the Federation did the negotiations and diplomatic stuff. Star fleet captains were there to clear the way ahead for the 'diplomats.'

Truth is there are many great Trek characters, even Kor, Gowron, Dukat and Weyoun etc

5 hours ago, JagSquared said:

My problem with Riker was that he seemed to think he was too good to be a XO but didn’t want to move out of his comfort zone and take the big seat until way later than he should have. I may be misremembering this but was he actually a good XO? I think I need to rewatch TNG as I’m blanking on his abilities which is odd.

Also he’s going to try and fuck everything, him and Kirk would keep Starfleet Medical busy with all their new fangled STI’s.

I felt bad about leaving worf out but he is a little hot headed (well he is a Klingon) and my crew is pretty level headed for the most part. Maybe they could do with some anger in the heat of battle. Perhaps I could split Garaks role so worf can be on tactical and do the shooting and the simple tailor can be head of security.

Ah mate watch Best of Both Worlds again, he overcomes his fears and lack of self belief and saves the Federation, that's where he came into his own.

"Then take your best shot Locutus because we are about to - intervene."

He's deeper than he seems Riker. Despite being conceived as a 'backup Kirk' in case audiences didn't take to Picard, he's far from an all action hero. 

He only finished eigth in his class and you get the feeling he feels lucky to be where he is and that's what makes him love being number one. Also, he never got on with his dad and I think that partly explains why he's so utterly devoted to Picard especially, as he's a mentor, he's absolutely devastated in The Pegasus when Picard scolds him. I think it's also why he views the crew as his family.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ah mate watch Best of Both Worlds again, he overcomes his fears and lack of self belief and saves the Federation, that's where he came into his own.

"Then take your best shot Locutus because we are about to - intervene."

He's deeper than he seems Riker. Despite being conceived as a 'backup Kirk' in case audiences didn't take to Picard, he's far from an all action hero. 

He only finished eigth in his class and you get the feeling he feels lucky to be where he is and that's what makes him love being number one. Also, he never got on with his dad and I think that partly explains why he's so utterly devoted to Picard especially, as he's a mentor, he's absolutely devastated in The Pegasus when Picard scolds him. I think it's also why he views the crew as his family.

Interesting points but wouldn’t the latter part of that be a reason not to pick him as the ideal number one? 

indefo need a a rewatch of TNG but the opening season is pretty poor from memory I’m not sure I want to go through that again. Similarly with voyager I can’t be bothered with the first season or pretty much until the kazon disappear.