You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Shadow In My Eye (Skyggen i mit oje) Also known as ‘The Bombardment’ - 2021 1hr 47mins my rating: 8.5/10 (imdb 7.3/10)

Director: Ole Bornedal. Danish. English subtitles. Netflix.

Outstanding WW2 drama based on a true story. The acting, particularly from the younger kids (key characters in the plot) are superb. I’m always blown away by talented child actors, and there are some of the best in this film. One character, a complicated Nun, is played by Fanny Bornedal, who I suspect is related to the Director. Her performance is absolutely riveting. 

Some great cinematography, as well as good use of CGI (w/o being overbearing)  to reproduce a squadron of Mosquito Bombers on a special bombing raid. 

The tension builds well, and the ending left me gobsmacked.

C530E34B-0CD1-4081-8793-EEAEED562752.jpeg

• Upvote 3

Four Hours at the Capitol

I'm not sure 90 minutes was sufficient to highlight just how much insanity was swirling around. It kept things punchy though, and helped emphasise how quickly the situation spiralled. The most chilling aspect being those interviewed in the cold light of day who still believe the conspiracy theories. 

Claire and a half

We own the night. 5/10. Wahlberg worst film for me despite a very strong cast.

Eve Mendes is well worth a watch getting her tit sucked and a good fingering. Not sure if it was a stunt pussy or not. Basically switch off after 10 minutes.

74ei.gif

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Four Hours at the Capitol

I'm not sure 90 minutes was sufficient to highlight just how much insanity was swirling around. It kept things punchy though, and helped emphasise how quickly the situation spiralled. The most chilling aspect being those interviewed in the cold light of day who still believe the conspiracy theories. 

Claire and a half

All kinds of nuts that is. Genuine lunatics. Imagine how great America would actually be if you removed the Trump supporting type. 

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

We own the night. 5/10. Wahlberg worst film for me despite a very strong cast.

Eve Mendes is well worth a watch getting her tit sucked and a good fingering. Not sure if it was a stunt pussy or not. Basically switch off after 10 minutes.

74ei.gif

I think that film is very underrated, I definitely wouldn't turn it off after 10 minutes.

Great performances from Wahlberg, Duvall & Phoenix in there.

Doctor Sleep - It's a difficult thing trying to reconcile the Kubrick version of the Shining and the King book version together for a sequel but this just about gets away with it. You're on a hiding to nothing making a sequel to Kubrick's Shining but its imagery is so strikingly memorable that to make a sequel without it would almost certainly make the audience give a collective shrug of 'what was the point?'. Mike Flanagan has done quite well at adapting horror (his Netflix shows have been quite ponderous for me but he doesn't give in to cheap scare tactics often) and his choices for this make sense as a continuation of Kubrick's film - pervading feeling of dread, use of sound to convey that etc, rather than jump scares and explicit gore.

Doctor Sleep is a much explicit supernatural film than the Shining (which played down the hauntings quite a lot if favour of Jack's insanity) so you're best going into it having seen the original but knowing this is only borrowing visuals and minor plot points to smooth the adaptation rather than do a straight book adaptation where the audience would be confused. Rebecca Fergusson makes an engaging villain, though I felt no real threat from her or the True Knot, and Ewan McGregor does okay as the recovering, older Danny Torrance but also looks like he's struggling the accent at times. Some of the book's more subtle moments for Dan aren't here so I feel McGregor does well with a less than full role.

Fair play for making it, it shouldn't be judged next to the Shining as that's not very fair as the Shining is a classic but as a film reconciling the differences between book and film, it's done a good job. 7 out of 10

• Upvote 1

The Worricker Trilogy:

Page Eight (2011)

Turks & Caicos (2014)

Salting The Battlefield (2014)

8.5/10. A trio of political spy thrillers that were originally shown on the BBC. I’ve been meaning to watch them for a while. Bill Nighy’s honourable spy crossing swords with Ralph Fiennes’ obviously Blairite prime minister, and set against the backdrop of the War on Terror. No bullets and very little blood. Just great casting and excellent dialogue. You could watch the first and walk away feeling it had concluded satisfactorily, but the trilogy is very good. And no film outstays it’s welcome as they are all  approximately 1hr 30mins long.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Doctor Sleep - It's a difficult thing trying to reconcile the Kubrick version of the Shining and the King book version together for a sequel but this just about gets away with it. You're on a hiding to nothing making a sequel to Kubrick's Shining but its imagery is so strikingly memorable that to make a sequel without it would almost certainly make the audience give a collective shrug of 'what was the point?'. Mike Flanagan has done quite well at adapting horror (his Netflix shows have been quite ponderous for me but he doesn't give in to cheap scare tactics often) and his choices for this make sense as a continuation of Kubrick's film - pervading feeling of dread, use of sound to convey that etc, rather than jump scares and explicit gore.

Doctor Sleep is a much explicit supernatural film than the Shining (which played down the hauntings quite a lot if favour of Jack's insanity) so you're best going into it having seen the original but knowing this is only borrowing visuals and minor plot points to smooth the adaptation rather than do a straight book adaptation where the audience would be confused. Rebecca Fergusson makes an engaging villain, though I felt no real threat from her or the True Knot, and Ewan McGregor does okay as the recovering, older Danny Torrance but also looks like he's struggling the accent at times. Some of the book's more subtle moments for Dan aren't here so I feel McGregor does well with a less than full role.

Fair play for making it, it shouldn't be judged next to the Shining as that's not very fair as the Shining is a classic but as a film reconciling the differences between book and film, it's done a good job. 7 out of 10

I enjoyed it much more than the Shining. I also feel like you have undersold how great Rebecca Ferguson is in this. Hard to believe she is the same girl from the X Factor

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John102 said:

I enjoyed it much more than the Shining. I also feel like you have undersold how greet Rebecca Ferguson is in this. Hard to believe she is the same girl from the X Factor

Does she sing ' Many rivers to cross ' in this one ?

55 minutes ago, John102 said:

I enjoyed it much more than the Shining. I also feel like you have undersold how great Rebecca Ferguson is in this. Hard to believe she is the same girl from the X Factor

Hold on a second. What?

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

The Worricker Trilogy:

Page Eight (2011)

Turks & Caicos (2014)

Salting The Battlefield (2014)

8.5/10. A trio of political spy thrillers that were originally shown on the BBC. I’ve been meaning to watch them for a while. Bill Nighy’s honourable spy crossing swords with Ralph Fiennes’ obviously Blairite prime minister, and set against the backdrop of the War on Terror. No bullets and very little blood. Just great casting and excellent dialogue. You could watch the first and walk away feeling it had concluded satisfactorily, but the trilogy is very good. And no film outstays it’s welcome as they are all  approximately 1hr 30mins long.

Fancy these, never heard of them until now so thanks mate, the first one is going on now...

19 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Let us know what you think. I've not heard of them either but I like both the actors mentioned.

Page 8, Turks & Caicos, Salting The Battlefield - the Johnny Warricker trilogy.

Enjoyable spy fest that lost a bit of steam as it went.

Slow, but not as slow as the superior Tinker, Tailor and a hit and miss supporting cast (I think Felicity Jones is s fucking dreadful actress), but well worth a watch nonetheless.

7/10

Cape Fear (the Scorsese remake).

Hadn’t seen this for ages but it was on telly the other night. Great little thriller. De Niro hamming it up as the tattooed nutcase Max Cady persecuting Nick Nolte and his family after he is let out after a 14 year jail sentence. Nolte plays the lawyer who defended him. Great performance from a young Juliette Lewis as well who was nominated for an Oscar in this.

9/10. 

Rudeboy - The Story of Trojan Records

Documentary from a couple of years ago about Trojan Records who had all the major ska and reggae artists in the 60s and 70s and how the music helped Jamaican immigrants integrate and led to a bit of development of multicultural Britain. 

They made the decision to get actors re-enacting some old scenes of musicians and record company guys, which is a bit weird - but I guess there wasn't much footage of soundsystems in Jamaica in the late 60s.  They also spend about 1 minute each with Toots and Lee Perry and loads on a couple of boring old white guys who worked for the record label.  So bit of a missed opportunity.

Still it's interesting and the music is obviously tremendous.  9/10 for the tunes, 5/10 for the documentary bits - for a 7/10.

On 29/04/2022 at 06:44, Red Shift said:

The Shadow In My Eye (Skyggen i mit oje) Also known as ‘The Bombardment’ - 2021 1hr 47mins my rating: 8.5/10 (imdb 7.3/10)

Director: Ole Bornedal. Danish. English subtitles. Netflix.

Outstanding WW2 drama based on a true story. The acting, particularly from the younger kids (key characters in the plot) are superb. I’m always blown away by talented child actors, and there are some of the best in this film. One character, a complicated Nun, is played by Fanny Bornedal, who I suspect is related to the Director. Her performance is absolutely riveting. 

Some great cinematography, as well as good use of CGI (w/o being overbearing)  to reproduce a squadron of Mosquito Bombers on a special bombing raid. 

The tension builds well, and the ending left me gobsmacked.

C530E34B-0CD1-4081-8793-EEAEED562752.jpeg

The Bombardment - Netflix - 9.5/10. Highly recommended.

Watched this on Netflix last night having spent 50 trillion millenia searching for "Shadow In My Eye", "The Shadow In My Eye", and finally worked out it was listed as "The Bombardment". Fuck's sake. How hard @Red Shift can it be to add this simple detail to your review? Hmmmm? I hope you're ashamed of yourself. Everyone else is. Not me, I'm totally relaxed about it. I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

Anyway. Despite @Red Shift refusing to add simple FUCKING detail, this is one awesome movie. Stunning. I really, really liked it. At the end, I wasn't sure whether Mr rb14 had fallen asleep or died. It was neither. We were both silent for a very long time. Fuckkkkk.

44 minutes ago, rb14 said:

The Bombardment - Netflix - 9.5/10. Highly recommended.

Watched this on Netflix last night having spent 50 trillion millenia searching for "Shadow In My Eye", "The Shadow In My Eye", and finally worked out it was listed as "The Bombardment". Fuck's sake. How hard @Red Shift can it be to add this simple detail to your review? Hmmmm? I hope you're ashamed of yourself. Everyone else is. Not me, I'm totally relaxed about it. I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking.

Anyway. Despite @Red Shift refusing to add simple FUCKING detail, this is one awesome movie. Stunning. I really, really liked it. At the end, I wasn't sure whether Mr rb14 had fallen asleep or died. It was neither. We were both silent for a very long time. Fuckkkkk.

Errr. Now I’m confused. Simple brain, me. Thought I mentioned it’s other name. Anyway, apologies.