You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Rocky Opponent

Section_31

Favourite Rocky Opponent  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Rocky Opponent

Haha

The answer is of course Apollo. 

"I thought you said be cool?"

"That was Cool!" 

I love the bit in Rocky II where Apollo's wife gives him a long heartfelt speech about how what the public think doesn't matter as her & his family will always love him, he pauses for a second & then turns round tells his manager to get on the phone to get the fight sorted, completely disregarding everything she's just said, sheer genius.

• Upvote 1

Apparently in the original script for Rocky Balboa Rocky was going to visit Drago in hospital where he was dying of AIDS (seriously) due to steroid abuse, and on the way out says to the nurse 'if he dies, he dies'.

Clubber was going to be a pundit too. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479143/trivia

That would have been fucking ace.

I voted Clubber Lang. The first Rocky film I watched was 3 then 4 as I was too young when the first 2 came out. So I always see Apollo as Rocky's friend rather than enemy.

I like the way Clubber is allowed to punch people on the floor and shove referees everywhere in the build up fights to his fight with Rocky.

Loved the sound effects when clubber missed a punch.

When I go jogging I have the soundtrack playing on my phone without earphones. Nothing like jogging past some old woman with "going the distance" playing as her dogs struggling to take a shit

Hahaha. If I.have.a.hot curry I always blast out hearts on fire but replace hearts for arse.

Loved the sound effects when clubber missed a punch.

When I go jogging I have the soundtrack playing on my phone without earphones. Nothing like jogging past some old woman with "going the distance" playing as her dogs struggling to take a shit

Doing this 30 day plank challenge at the moment and put it on each time.

http://www.socceronsunday.com/article/keane-picks-top-5-comebacks/

Roy Keane Picks The 5 Greatest Ever Comebacks

keane-and-suarez-765x496.jpeg

5. Barcelona vs PSG (2017)

messi-celebrating-150x150.jpgAll credit to Barcelona, winning 6 – 1 to qualify for the Champions League Quarter-finals is outstanding. But questions have to be asked of the bottling shitebags in white. I hear the PSG players were physically attacked by fans at Bourget Airport. Ordinarily I don’t condone violence, but hanging would be too good for this particular gang of frogs-leg eating pox bottles

4. Rocky vs Thunderlips (1982)

rocky-and-thunderlips-150x150.jpgRocky showed great courage to retain his WBC World Championship belt when he fought mandatory challenger Thunderlips in 1982. I don’t like to criticise referees, but I felt Tony Patterson was poor on the night. At one point Thunderlips picked Rocky up over his head and flung him out of the ring. He could have been killed, but Patterson didn’t even deduct a point. Rocky eventually gritted out a points win, and Thunderlips went on to carve out a career for himself in wresting under the name André the Giant

3. Rocky vs Clubber Lang (1982)

rocky-and-clubber-lang-150x150.jpgI’ve gone with the boy Rocky again, and his epic rematch with fearsome bruiser Clubber Lang (an uncle of Country singer KD Lang). The Italian Stalion’s trainer and Alex Ferguson-lookalike Mickey Goldwill died 5 minutes before the first bout, which may have been a factor in the disturbing beating Rocky received. Personally, I think the fight should have been cancelled out of respect for Mickey’s decaying carcass backstage. The pattern of the rematch looked similar early doors, but a turning point came when ringside mics picked up Rocky declaring ‘you ain’t so bad’ over and over to Lang. What followed, was a disturbing beating for both fighters. Rocky eventually earned the KO, but everybody involved with the fight should have been thrown in jail for reckless endangerment

2. Rocky vs Apollo Creed (1979)

rocky-apollo-150x150.jpgIt’s hard to look past the boy Rocky again, and his epic rematch with longtime champion Apollo Creed — a classic bout of boxer vs brawler. At this early point of his career, Rocky was already showing the defensive holes in his game that Apollo and others would exploit. Indeed, to this day Rocky is the only World Champion on record to have never blocked a punch. Rocky himself denies this. “Why block with my hands when I can block with my brain?” he famously told Michael Parkinson in 1984. And the style did bear fruit. Apollo was unable to inflict enough brain damage on The Italian Stallion before himself being pummelled almost to death. Another highly disturbing bout that should have seen everybody involved jailed

1. Rocky vs Ivan Drago (1985)

rocky-v-drago-150x150.jpgI’ve had to go with the boy Rocky again. Peter Schmeichel-lookalike and steroid-guzzling giant pile of blonde shite Ivan Drago went into his bout with Balboa as a heavy favourite, having beaten former champion and then-Rocky trainer Apollo Creed to death in front of his own family a few months earlier. I don’t like to criticise referees, but I felt Pat Murphy, the referee during the Drago vs Creed fight, was poor on the night. So when Murphy was also handed the Rocky vs Drago fight, I was worried. With good reason it turned out, as Drago handed a highly disturbing beating to The Italian Stallion early doors. But Rocky blocked everything thrown at him with his brain, and eventually dealt an horrific beating to the Russian. It goes without saying, but everyone involved should have been jaile

Roy Keane Picks The 5 Greatest Ever Comebacks

• Upvote 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...