You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Foo Fighters album

Chris

Full Album Kurt. Also DAve Grohl recently stated that the only band he will play drums for is QOTSA.

Linky Dinky

Nirvana where shit in my own opinion, much better bands around that Seattle scene than them, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of The Dog supergroup, to name a few.

In fact I would even say Ugly Kd Joe and Poison where better than Nirvana.

Cobain most over-rated musician. Sloppy guitar player to the extreme.

Whoah whoah whoah sweet child o mine. You what? I've never been a Nirvana fanboi, but thats a whole pile of steaming wrong there mate.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nirvana where shit in my own opinion, much better bands around that Seattle scene than them, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Temple of The Dog supergroup, to name a few.

That's 3 very wrong sentences.

Stone temple pilots were awful, an absolute abomination. Band wagon jumpers.

2nd sentence is just silly.

3rd one is wrong. I don't think he is particularly highly rated purely as a musician (or guitar player at least). He's highly rated for writing some of the best songs of the last 20 years. Musical ability and being really crap do not have to be mutually exclusive and in an awful lot of cases aren't. See Yngwie Malmsteen and Richard Clayderman. A large percentage of the best music ever produced is by people who wouldn't be described as technically outstanding.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Full Album Kurt. Also DAve Grohl recently stated that the only band he will play drums for is QOTSA.

Linky Dinky

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrongitty wrong.

You should be killed for all of those statements.

To say that Stone Temple Pilots should even be allowed to piss in the same urinal as Nirvana is laughable. Mudhoney were the only Seattle band of the early Sub Pop and Grunge scene who should be mentioned in the same breath as Nirvana. Go and listen to Bleach and In Utero again and if you still come back and suggest that Soundgarden, Fucking Pearl Jam and Temple of the Dog were better than Nirvana, let me know your address and I''l come with my shotgun and put you out of your misery.

I'm not even going to comment on the Poison and Ugly Kid Joe comment....

Kurt Cobain was an excellent musician and songwriter, they were a disaffected, slacker band, they weren't Eric Fucking Clapton or Dire Straits and nor were they supposed to be.

Monomen and Supersuckers in patches were bands out of the Seattle scene who at times could hold a candle to Nirvana, Temple of the Dog and Pearl Jam indeed.....next you will be telling us that fucking Soul Asylum and Alice in Chains were better than Nirvana.

You should be banned from posting on all music threads from now on....Kurt Cobain...over-rated, sloppy musician indeed. Nirvana were about the rollercoaster ride as much as the music...fuck me, go and see bands where you sit down and clap if you want cunts playing in tune.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Holy raspberry muffin I nearly had to divert my eyes before I got to the end of that. Ugly Kid Joe better than Nirvana, oh my god. PaddyBerger15 get here at once and correct this person!

Job done squire, Skidfingers is the Anthea Turner of music reviewers and should have paving stones dropped on his legs from a great height.

Excellent ranting Paddy Berger.

I would add Sonic Youth, and maybe Pixies as being bands who get even close to Nirvana (in terms of bands of a similar ilk)

I think Cobain was a sloppy musician though in the sense that it was all about the sounds generated as opposed to the number of notes played. That's a good thing.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Excellent ranting Paddy Berger.

I would add Sonic Youth, and maybe Pixies as being bands who get even close to Nirvana (in terms of bands of a similar ilk)

I think Cobain was a sloppy musician though in the sense that it was all about the sounds generated as opposed to the number of notes played. That's a good thing.

Sonic Youth and The Pixies were major influences on and forerunners of Nirvana. Kurt often cited Sonic Youth as major influences on him and his writing and playing.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Nirvana wanted to be The Pixies - but never came close.

I love it when somebody who likes Jazz, Hip Hop, ABBA and All saints and posts links to the most turgid, mind numbing dross on every music thread sees fit to comment on the merits, or otherwise, of Nirvana.

Sonic Youth and The Pixies were major influences on and forerunners of Nirvana. Kurt often cited Sonic Youth as major influences on him and his writing and playing.

Husker Du were another big influence, that said, I have to admit to liking Sugar a lot more despite the lack of comedy facial hair.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Husker Du were another big influence, that said, I have to admit to liking Sugar a lot more despite the lack of comedy facial hair.

Husker Du were a top band, nowt shameful about having them among your musical influences. As good as Sugar were, the Du were a better band for me.

I love it when somebody who likes Jazz, Hip Hop, ABBA and All saints and posts links to the most turgid, mind numbing dross on every music thread sees fit to comment on the merits, or otherwise, of Nirvana.

Oooh, get you. Why so stroppy?

The reason I no longer listen to rock is because I so rarely hear anything with the originality, balls or sense of melody that The Pixies had. Don't infer from what I wrote that I don't like or rate Nirvana, because I do. However, they can't touch The Pixies, in my view. I saw live many of the 80s rock bands that people mention on here as being seminal and rate The Pixies as one of the best bands - of any genre - I've ever seen or heard.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Oooh, get you. Why so stroppy?

The reason I no longer listen to rock is because I so rarely hear anything with the originality, balls or sense of melody that The Pixies had. Don't infer from what I wrote that I don't like or rate Nirvana, because I do. However, they can't touch The Pixies, in my view. I saw live many of the 80s rock bands that people mention on here as being seminal and rate The Pixies as one of the best bands - of any genre - I've ever seen or heard.

Fair do's. Anybody who rates The Pixies is ok by me.

Nirvana, whether they were Pixies wannabee's or no, were the better band though...and thats not knocking The Pixies in any way.

Fair do's. Anybody who rates The Pixies is ok by me.

Nirvana, whether they were Pixies wannabee's or no, were the better band though...and thats not knocking The Pixies in anyway.

Ha, ha! Does that mean my opinion is now acceptable to you despite my love of "the most turgid, mind numbing dross" which I apparently have been posting on "every music thread"? Nice (as we jazz lovers are wont to say).

Guest PaddyBerger15
Ha, ha! Does that mean my opinion is now acceptable to you despite my love of "the most turgid, mind numbing dross" which I apparently have been posting on "every music thread"? Nice (as we jazz lovers are wont to say).

Only just.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrongitty wrong.

You should be killed for all of those statements.

To say that Stone Temple Pilots should even be allowed to piss in the same urinal as Nirvana is laughable. Mudhoney were the only Seattle band of the early Sub Pop and Grunge scene who should be mentioned in the same breath as Nirvana. Go and listen to Bleach and In Utero again and if you still come back and suggest that Soundgarden, Fucking Pearl Jam and Temple of the Dog were better than Nirvana, let me know your address and I''l come with my shotgun and put you out of your misery.

I'm not even going to comment on the Poison and Ugly Kid Joe comment....

Kurt Cobain was an excellent musician and songwriter, they were a disaffected, slacker band, they weren't Eric Fucking Clapton or Dire Straits and nor were they supposed to be.

Monomen and Supersuckers in patches were bands out of the Seattle scene who at times could hold a candle to Nirvana, Temple of the Dog and Pearl Jam indeed.....next you will be telling us that fucking Soul Asylum and Alice in Chains were better than Nirvana.

You should be banned from posting on all music threads from now on....Kurt Cobain...over-rated, sloppy musician indeed. Nirvana were about the rollercoaster ride as much as the music...fuck me, go and see bands where you sit down and clap if you want cunts playing in tune.

Woah woah woah woah woah! Layne Stayley and Jerry Cantrell were the second best songwriters (behind Kurt) of that whole era, even if you dislike that style of music, you still have to hand it to them as songwriters, they were phenomenal.

It might be a different story if Kurt was still around. Imagine how many great songs he would've written by now, literally millions, nearly as many as Mudhoney.

Woah woah woah woah woah! Layne Stayley and Jerry Cantrell were the second best songwriters (behind Kurt) of that whole era, even if you dislike that style of music, you still have to hand it to them as songwriters, they were phenomenal.

They were a slightly above average heavy metal band.