You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leiva-Pool

Fink

Horrific headline from .tv -

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool have acquired one of world football's best young talents in Brazil under-20 captain Lucas Leiva.

The Reds boss is delighted to finally be working with the highly-rated Leiva, who this week joined up with the squad for the first time following his summer move from Gremio.

A combative box-to-box style midfielder, Leiva's signature was coveted by a host of top clubs and Benitez is backing him him to play a starring role in Liverpool's future.

The manager said: "Lucas is a young player with great experience because he has played at international level for Brazil many times. We have known about him for a long time and had to move quickly to sign him because many top clubs were interested.

"He will need to improve his English but other than that he's settled down quickly. I was away in Switzerland for the first ten days he was at the club but all the reports I received were good and he's done well in training over here.

"Lucas is not a typical Brazilian player but he's a clever player who wants the ball all the time, which is important. He will need time but I think we've signed a really excellent prospect.

"He's a player with character who works hard, can play in the holding midfield role and also get in the box to score goals. His mentality is a winning one and that's what we want here; a team of winners.

"He's one for the future but also one for this year. I've explained that he'll face tough competition for his place but that is good for us. If you want to win trophies, and by that I mean more than one a season, you have to have a bigger squad."

==============

On the day he was finally unveiled as a Liverpool player, Lucas Leiva admitted he can't wait to line up alongside his new team-mates.

The summer signing from Gremio met up with the squad for the first time at Heathrow airport on Saturday and has spent the past few days getting to know them in Hong Kong.

International red tape denied him a debut against South China on Tuesday and it's not yet known whether he'll be available for selection against Portsmouth on Friday.

But having now been officially confirmed as a member of the squad and introduced to the press by Rafael Benitez, Leiva is hoping it won't be long before he can pull on a red shirt and build on the exciting progress he's already made in his short but, so far, successful, career.

The 20-year old Brazilian told Liverpoolfc.tv: "I am very happy to finally be at Liverpool. It is a club that is respected throughout the world and this is a great opportunity for me. I just can't wait to play now.

"With the majority of the team being away in Switzerland last week I have not had much time to get to know them but it's been good to be among the lads here in Hong Kong and everyone is going out of their way to make me feel at home.

"Of course, it's a little difficult at first because of the language barrier, but I am doing my best to learn English as quickly as possible though and so will soon be able to join in the dressing room banter.

"I know of all the Liverpool players and there is a great selection of top stars at this club. I have always looked up to Steven Gerrard and I'm looking forward to playing in the same team as him.

"I like the British style of play but it's a lot faster than I am used to so it may take me a little while to adapt."

Don't know if anyone has seen this or if it's already been posted, http://www.recontragolazo.com/?p=339

A nice compilation, giving a glimpse of what this lad's all about. He looks very direct and loves to get forward. He couldn't be surrounded by a better group of world-class central midfielders than at Liverpool and being only 20 he will have the skill to be able to learn quickly. I should imagine there's a few lads who can speak Portugese and maybe Lucas can speak Italian and Spanish too?

Excited about this lad. Anybody watch Brazilian football regularly?

This signing could turn out to be one of the best in the last 10 years...

( im going totally on assumption, hype and youtube clips alone)

However this guy did win the south American footballer of the year award ( or similar) which the likes of Tevez co have won in previous years so there must be something special about him.

The comparisons to Gerrard suggest that Rafa is being pragmatic and suggesting that this guy could one day be a replacement for the irreplaceable captain.

the fact that Gerrard plays a very physical high tempo game means that hes really only going to be at his peak for maybe 3 or 4 seasons at most... which gives this fella time to adapt and work on his game.

Guest Jay W

.tv are saying he's cleared for tommorow, as are the others Towers and Babel.

He strikes me as having the bite and energy of Gerrard and the elegance of Kaka (in terms of style, not ability). Wether he'll be as good as those two time will tell but he certainly looks decent.

I love it when we beat that demented alcoholic over at Old Toilet in the transfer market, no wonder he is getting pissed off:

Liverpool Echo:

A lot of other top clubs were after him, so we had to move quickly,” revealed Benitez. “One of those other clubs plays in red, and Lucas told me the other wears blue, but I won’t say which.”

Leiva told the manager Everton and United were those clubs, while Atletico Madrid were also hoping to secure a deal.

I love it when we beat that demented alcoholic over at Old Toilet in the transfer market, no wonder he is getting pissed off:

Liverpool Echo:

A lot of other top clubs were after him, so we had to move quickly,” revealed Benitez. “One of those other clubs plays in red, and Lucas told me the other wears blue, but I won’t say which.”

Leiva told the manager Everton and United were those clubs, while Atletico Madrid were also hoping to secure a deal.

by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL’S latest South American recruit Lucas Leiva rejected late interest from Everton and Manchester United to move to Anfield, it was claimed today.

What was his price? 5m? what did the blueshite bid I wonder? 4.98m?

'ah well we tried'

I was a bit unsure when we first signed him as i had heard that he was more of a defensive midfielder and we already have enough of them. But we do need another midfield option who can get box to box like Gerrard and by this description it seems thats what he's good at.

I can pass the ball better than Momo..like i just think back to the united gameat anfield..when he sent the ball 40 yards up into the air because he panicked..a Liverpool CM should not panic like that...

He may have time to learn..but he'll be 5th choice CM by end of the season..well if Gerrard dont play on the right!

I was a bit unsure when we first signed him as i had heard that he was more of a defensive midfielder and we already have enough of them. But we do need another midfield option who can get box to box like Gerrard and by this description it seems thats what he's good at.
I hear what you're saying but this midfield option can also play between the lines.

Liverpool Echo:

It was Chelsea, United, and I think Inter were tracking Lucas.