You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carson to Villa

Plewggs

Today’s Mirror is claiming Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill wants to buy England Under-21 keeper Scott Carson from Liverpool for £3.5m.

It’s a decent profit on the half million we paid for Carson but, having released Dudek, I hope we reject the offer. He may not have Pepe’s penalty stopping technique but Carson is a cracking goalie.

What do the financiers and coaches on TLW fink?

Stick , sell or send him out on loan again?

Guest Preben Elkjaer

Exactly. In the current goon climate of paying stupid fucking money for homegrown talent, England's nailed-on future #1 should cost no less than £5-6m.

Having said that, if he's happy to warm the bench/head off on loan, I'd definitely hold on to him.

i reckon his value should be way over 3.5m. if we sell i think the expectation should be for at least 5 or 6m.

I agree with BW, £3.5m isn't enough at all. We need a quality 2nd goalie, and if Carson won't fill that role we need to buy a new one. If they gave us Sørensen + £3.5m then ok (I know that's probably not an alternative, but that's the kind of back up for Reina we need).

That said; when you start a thread like this and create the headline, please add a "?" or something that explains that Carson isn't actually going to Villa. I actually though he was going when I saw it.......

That said; when you start a thread like this and create the headline, please add a "?" or something that explains that Carson isn't actually going to Villa. I actually though he was going when I saw it.......

A deliberate syntax error Comrade.

As I’m not off to Glastonbury this year I thought a Friday morning buzz was in order.

Didn’t mean to cause distress, please accept my apols.

Be warned, if Bellamy is sold I’ll be starting a thread without commas, words or sentences.

Dump ya hat and get ready to rock and roll.

I'd let him go for as much as we can get now (and no less than £4m) plus performance clauses re: England caps and trophies and/or a sell-on clause. In other words, they can't have a keeper with such massive potential on the cheap simply because we happen to have a better one here right now. We need to get an experienced keeper in as cover for Pepe who we can get on a free.

I don't think we're creative enough with our contracts and transfer deals. Too many times the deal favours anyone but us. I'm all for paying big money for quality, but it has to be proven/earned. With more favourable contracts, we'd find it easier to shift players who are surplus to requirements, too.

I personally think he is hugely over-rated. Doesn't dominate his area, is suspect on crosses and not a great shot stopper. I've also been impressed when I've watched Hansen in the youth team and think that he could be a better prospect.

On the other hand, if being English is enough to inflate Darren Bent's price to 17 million I'd be turning 3.5 million down without a second's thought and seeing if we can rip a few extra million off somebody.

I personally think he is hugely over-rated. Doesn't dominate his area, is suspect on crosses and not a great shot stopper. I've also been impressed when I've watched Hansen in the youth team and think that he could be a better prospect.

On the other hand, if being English is enough to inflate Darren Bent's price to 17 million I'd be turning 3.5 million down without a second's thought and seeing if we can rip a few extra million off somebody.

I agree he's overrated, but I think you're a bit harsh there. I also think we should cash in on the hype that surrounds him with insurance clauses in there in case he does turn out to be ace.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=benitez-tells-carson%2D-fight-for-number-one-spot%26method=full%26objectid=19339365%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

RECORD-breaking Reds goalkeeper Scott Carson will be back at Anfield next season to fight for a first team place.

The young keeper spent last season on loan at Charlton where he enjoyed an outstanding campaign, capped by his recent performances at the European Under-21 Championships in Holland where he beat club-mate Jamie Carragher’s record of England under-21 caps.

But with on-loan Daniele Padelli having returned to Sampdoria and Jerzy Dudek’s departure from Anfield imminent, boss Rafa Benitez revealed that Carson would start next season as understudy to Pepe Reina.

“I was speaking to Scott recently and I told him he will be part of our first team squad next season,” he declared. “He must fight with Pepe Reina now for a starting place.

“We knew when we fought off Chelsea to sign him he was a talented goalkeeper.

“He got some good experience last season and now he is coming back to us.”

Carson made 36 Premiership appearances last season, only missing the games with Liverpool which the terms of his loan deal prevented him from playing in.

He arrived at Anfield from Leeds in January 2005, and three months later lined up against Juventus at the tender age of 19 in a Champions League quarter-final.

He went on to finish that season with five first team appearances, but figured only four times – in low key cup ties – last term.

Now Benitez will be hoping the 21-year-old can provide a meaningful challenge to Pepe Reina for a starting place.

I agree he's overrated, but I think you're a bit harsh there. I also think we should cash in on the hype that surrounds him with insurance clauses in there in case he does turn out to be ace.

I think that might have come across as a bit harsher than it was meant to be. I don't think he's necessarily a bad keeper but I just haven't seen anything that makes me think he is or has the potential to be a top keeper.

Personally I thought he was the best keeper in the premiership last season. I had loads of arguments with my (Red) flatmate over this, who kept saying 'Petr Cech might have something to say about that'. Utter nonsense.

That's the first season in about 6 years that I've not said my man Shay is the best keeper in the Prem. Big up Shay.